Author Topic: 4-leaved yuzu Seedling  (Read 929 times)

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
4-leaved yuzu Seedling
« on: June 15, 2022, 01:22:46 PM »
Hi,

One of my yuzu seedlings consistently makes four leaflets. Has anyone seen this before? Is it common?
Could it be a hybrid?

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
Re: 4-leaved yuzu Seedling
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 01:25:31 PM »
It's probably a hybrid if it keeps on putting out trifoliate leaves

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 02:15:57 PM »
can we see more of the plant? what do the leaves smell like when you scratch them?

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 02:30:10 PM »
It's probably a hybrid if it keeps on putting out trifoliate leaves

That would be my first guess as well!

can we see more of the plant? what do the leaves smell like when you scratch them?

Not sure about the smell, similar to other seedlings I guess?
Apart from the leaves the size and growth is very similar to my other yuzu seedlings.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 03:52:31 PM »
Definitely not a pure Yuzu.

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 04:17:57 PM »
Yuzu has a distinct scent in the leaves I am curious if a hybrid would retain the nice smelling leaves, but yes this definitely looks like a hybrid congrats lol

I'm trying to cross my Yuzu with trifoliate, really cool that you randomly got a hybrid from a fruit you purchased (assuming this came from the Yuzu fruit you mentioned looking at your post history).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 04:19:36 PM by vnomonee »

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 04:41:12 PM »
Yuzu has a distinct scent in the leaves I am curious if a hybrid would retain the nice smelling leaves, but yes this definitely looks like a hybrid congrats lol

I'm trying to cross my Yuzu with trifoliate, really cool that you randomly got a hybrid from a fruit you purchased (assuming this came from the Yuzu fruit you mentioned looking at your post history).

It originated from a fruit imported from Japan. What are the odds! I will be keeping my eye on this one  ;D

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 03:07:45 AM »
It originated from a fruit imported from Japan. What are the odds!

If you grew all the seed from one fruit, it seems unusual to get only one hybrid plant , not a few from a pollination event.
However I don't know if that is what happened in this case ??
Your plant certainly has the look of a trifoliata/citrus hybrid of some type.

Melenduwir

• US, Pennsylvania, State College, 5b/6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 03:56:21 PM »
I suspect, as others have said, that this is a hybrid.  But it's at least possible that it's a mutation.

You'd have to let it grow out, and possibly set fruit, before reaching any firmer conclusions, and that could take a very long time, yes?  On the other hand, if it sets fruit relatively quickly, it's almost certainly not pure yuzu, which can take up to a decade to produce.

You might have a very valuable plant there, in terms of interest and possible future breeding rather than money, regardless of whatever it turns out to be descended from.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 07:23:26 PM »
I suspect, as others have said, that this is a hybrid.  But it's at least possible that it's a mutation.
Yuzu has a distinct scent in the leaves I am curious if a hybrid would retain the nice smelling leaves ?

It does look a lot like a "Citrange/Citrumelo" seedling, but based on Yuzu.
You would expect that to be intermediate between the two parents in leaf oil scent, so not exactly fully Yuzu scented.
A mutation in the genes for leaf structure should simply make a Yuzu with extra leaflets.
A ploidy mutation, ie a triploid or tetraploid Yuzu seedling could also occur, maybe the extra copies of genes expressed multi leaflets ?