Author Topic: Best Squirrel Dog  (Read 2940 times)

JoannSorbet

Re: Best Squirrel Dog
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2022, 04:23:43 AM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 10:41:44 AM by JakeFruit »

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2022, 09:10:32 AM »
Get another Rat Terrier.  ;D

We have had many dogs, and the RTs were the only ones that could actually CATCH and kill the squirrels, not just chase them.  Not only squirrels, but I had one who killed over 30 mice in under two minutes when we removed some trailer skirting in the winter.

Of course, we also had one that ate our koi fish, taking one bite out of each tasty tummy, then leaving the carcasses lined up neatly on the patio.  Same dog that, after catching a squirrel and dispatching it with one bite, dropped it and stood there looking at it, wagging her tail as if to say "Tag, you're it!"

Carolyn

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2022, 09:40:22 PM »
Brittany spaniel is the next dog I want. The one I know was too chicken to be a hinting dog, so she was sold as a pet. She loved chasing squirrels, but didn't have the instinct to kill, so that would need to be taught. She was quick enough to catch them though.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best Squirrel Dog recommendations
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2022, 07:21:14 PM »
cats would probably do a better job since they can climb trees.  my neighbors cat is a good hunter and kills squirrels.
My cats are no match for the squirrel iron teeth -- they torn up the chicken wire of the live trap and escaped. I even added double layer of steel mesh that used on stucco wall, and they torn through them also on this cage:
https://www.amazon.com/Garsum-Humane-Chipmunks-Squirrels-Outdoor/dp/B0B8D8Z2T5/ref=sr_1_7?crid=36GN5WGI9B56F&keywords=Live+Animal+Trap+for+Squirrels&qid=1664320365&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjIyIiwicXNhIjoiMi41NiIsInFzcCI6IjIuNjMifQ%3D%3D&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=live+animal+trap+for+squirrels%2Clawngarden%2C231&sr=1-7

So I bought this one with stronger cage: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQQMJQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
This is the best and nothing they can do even if the dentist added diamond teeth to them :)
So a month before the fruit season, I set the trap up on the tree with peanut butter bait. The trick for this trap is to spread the peanut butter on the bottom side of the trigger platform, so they have to dig the head under it and so lift it up one side and Bang. If you put the bait on the top, then they carefully lick the butter off without triggering. I didn't know, but the squirrels have the best nose for peanut butter, even up high on the powerline without able to see the trap and the bait.