Author Topic: Hurricane Season is here  (Read 3946 times)

natsgarden123

Hurricane Season is here
« on: July 09, 2013, 04:36:26 PM »
Figured this deserved its own thread. Chances are, that we won't get much. But this graphic is interesting....

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201303_ensmodel.html

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Season is here
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »
A named storm originating in the Atlantic (rather than just the Caribbean) before August is generally a harbinger of a busy Atlantic season.  Keep a watch on those long-track storms this year!
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:38:19 PM »
I hope this one misses you guys.

Jacob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »
Just in time for the mango festival this weekend!

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »
Waves!!!
Zach

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:24:36 AM »
Stay safe you'all!

Kay

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 01:06:56 AM »
Are more people building concrete/metal homes in USA now?    Seems wood is very risky in big storms?

We have similar weather here, only preparing for storms is keep wind break around or plant dense to avoid open areas.  open areas get hit around the edges by wind badly

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:17:32 AM »
Been monitoring this every few hours, as I live in the DR. and work with satellite dishes and stuff like that.

anyway the predictions on this have been all over,  latest as of 2am July 10. has it moving west of Santo Domingo, just a few hours ago it had it dead on.  also the storm has really sped up, and is now predicted to reach S. Fla area around Friday instead of Saturday.   which I think is a good thing.  the faster this thing goes, the less chance it will have of getting stronger or dump as much rain. 

hopefully for the Festivals sake, this thing will be up by Georgia on Saturday.

on another weather note, anyone else notice that "hurricane" like, weather phenomena South of Florida, seem a front above, and opposite going wind towards the south created a very hurricane looking cyclone whirl.  did anyone feel this?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 07:47:50 AM »
Been monitoring this every few hours, as I live in the DR. and work with satellite dishes and stuff like that.

anyway the predictions on this have been all over,  latest as of 2am July 10. has it moving west of Santo Domingo, just a few hours ago it had it dead on.  also the storm has really sped up, and is now predicted to reach S. Fla area around Friday instead of Saturday.   which I think is a good thing.  the faster this thing goes, the less chance it will have of getting stronger or dump as much rain. 

on another weather note, anyone else notice that "hurricane" like, weather phenomena South of Florida, seem a front above, and opposite going wind towards the south created a very hurricane looking cyclone whirl.  did anyone feel this?

That is an upper level low.  It increased moisture in the atmosphere, brought us a few fast moving showers and that's about it.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 08:14:40 AM »
As a rule of thumb, the first half of the season hurricanes tends to head for El Caribe, and the second half they run up the east coast.

of course, YMMV.

Been a couple of years, I think we are due for a butt whipping this season.

Be prepared.

Are more people building concrete/metal homes in USA now?    Seems wood is very risky in big storms?

It really depends on where you live, but yes the building requirement are progressively getting more stringent for coastal/potential damage areas.  Which does nothing for the millions and millions of pre-existing structures.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 06:19:09 PM »
Been a couple of years, I think we are due for a butt whipping this season.

Be prepared.

Thanks to the continuing drought, we in central and south Texas would gladly take a butt whipping!  Bring it on!  Austin news channel said it would take 17" of rain to fill of Lake Travis.  Lake Medina, once a beautiful large lake is now a 4" deep mudpit.  I had 5" of rain in the record setting heat of 2011 on my farm.   

Wood structures tend to flex and as long as you have the proper tie downs at the roof and foundation, you should be fine.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »

We have similar weather here, only preparing for storms is keep wind break around or plant dense to avoid open areas.  open areas get hit around the edges by wind badly

A lot of the homes in the Caribbean islands are made of cement. Strangely enough, Florida which is much more wealthy and gets hit much more often by hurricanes their homes are still mostly wooden structures.
Oscar

natsgarden123

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 06:33:47 PM »

A lot of the homes in the Caribbean islands are made of cement. Strangely enough, Florida which is much more wealthy and gets hit much more often by hurricanes their homes are still mostly wooden structures.

lol- my Wood house was built in 1973- Wilma knocked a pine onto it and crushed the roof otherwise, no storm has seriously damaged the house.

Chantal has weakened and she's a tropical wave now- but NOAA says :

Current Forecast is for system to move across South Florida as a depression sometime from early Friday on through Saturday. However, there are about equal chances that the system could move across the area as either a tropical wave or a tropical storm.

Main concern at this time is still the potential for some locally heavy rainfall through the weekend regardless whether the system is an open wave, a depression, or a tropical storm.

Caution: should the system strengthen and approach the area as a tropical storm, we would be going into watches or warnings sometime over the next two days with very little notice. Should that happen more detailed information will be made available at that time.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 09:11:16 AM »
Pickup up six inches of rain yesterday in the turks.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 01:15:54 PM »
We got tons of rain yesterday, lots of flooding, nothing out of ordinary for this time of year.  we got the full brunt of the rain here.  not much wind at all.

good thing the storm passed us quickly, as the ground was already saturated from previous rains. a couple rivers went past their banks. but are back to normal.   today its a bit overcast but has not rained.

At this writing the remnants are breaking up, after hitting that eastward flow south of Florida that practically split the storm in two. the northern part is trying to make its way toward Fla. but looks like its being sheared.   the southern half, is now below Cuba, and looks like it may develop into something. so watch out Gulf.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
I haven't been through a hurricane in South Florida yet. Our house was built of cement in the 1950s and apparently has stood up to everything just fine. But we live only 1 mile from the ocean, so we'll definitely have to evacuate when a big comes. No point staying in my area during a big storm because even if your house is untouched, all the utility services get blown out.