Author Topic: Strawberry guava. Anyone enjoying these right now.  (Read 525 times)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Strawberry guava. Anyone enjoying these right now.
« on: July 21, 2022, 12:54:51 PM »
Psidium cattleyanum. I have a 12ft tree that's into it's second week of fruit ripening right now. It did not even flinch with the back to back sub 25 degrees F my FL 9B zone in early February 2022. Everything else that was exposed was fried unless during that time it was dormant. These are so flavorful and easy to eat! One or two seeds can be big versus the bunch so be careful when chewing. But most of all the skin isn't as off putting to me like Psidium guajava. Just get a handful and pop em in your mouth like peanut M&Ms.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Strawberry guava. Anyone enjoying these right now.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 04:03:14 PM »
I dug up and transplanted a 9 foot tall strawberry guava tree into my yard about 2 years ago. Since the transplant this is the first year it is setting fruit. Fruits are about marble size and green right now and I’m looking forward to a bountiful harvest

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 04:34:52 PM »
Thank you for posting about cold tolerance. It goes on the list to add to Alabama yard.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 05:25:38 PM »
Mine flowered much earlier this year and looks like they'll be ready for September or around there. Usually they are a fruit that is in the winter for me, November to January which is really nice.

Very cold hardy tough plant, doesn't blink in the mid 20s.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk