Author Topic: ripening Green Sapote  (Read 1395 times)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
ripening Green Sapote
« on: February 11, 2023, 12:42:45 PM »
So I ordered some green sapote fruit (5lbs) from Lara Farms and I was expecting 2 or 3 but got like 11 lol. They are about tennis ball size. I've been wanting to try this fruit forever as most accounts contrasting them to mamey sapote....tasters of both prefer green sapote (and I fine mamey sapote delicious). So my question is what's the best way to counter ripen them? Covered/uncovered but breathable? The fruit I received have some patches of orange (ripe?) with green but are hard to the touch.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: ripening Green Sapote
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 01:23:31 PM »
Nice, did you purchase from their online website ? I always wanted to try one green sapote, I also like the mamey sapote so I'm growing it.

yimnvs

• USA, CA, San Leandro, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 01:46:42 PM »
Lara's website has the listing but it is currently out of stock. I am growing seedlings and a grafted tree but i have never tried it and want to try also.

yessenia

• Florida West Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 01:49:16 PM »
wait for them to get soft and skin start wrinkling.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 01:57:55 PM »
I also have a supposedly seedling Green Sapote which is about 10 ft tall, still never had flowers or fruits on it. It should be correct variety since I purchased it from a local CRFG club sale.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 03:43:21 PM »
Nice, did you purchase from their online website ? I always wanted to try one green sapote, I also like the mamey sapote so I'm growing it.

I did. I happened to check the website and it was available. I ordered immediately.
F*ck squirrels and deers

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 03:44:26 PM »
ok, thanks. I will need to check it once in a while for the next sale.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 06:10:33 PM »
Let us know how they are.  I am curious if it is worth trying to grow both green sapote and mamey sapote, or if they aren't different enough to bother.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 11:37:26 AM »
The taste of green sapote is quite similar to mamey sapote - both are delicious IMHO. The green sapote has smaller fruit and can easily be eaten in a single sitting compared to a Magaņa type mamey sapote which is more of a challenge. It is visually easier to determine when the green sapote fruit is ripe as the skin color changes from green to orange as it ripens, so you do not have to scratch the skin as one does with a mamey sapote.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 04:41:29 AM »
A bunch of them started to soften up allot yesterday evening compared to when I received them on Thursday. Pictured is the softest. The skin got wrinkly and looked like a boiled whole egg that was shelled and then fried. It fit nicely in the hand and was easy to cut. Smelled like a ripe mamey sapote- though the flesh looked slightly paler. First scoop, it was extremely sweet. Super sweet with a smooth flesh. No other flavors noted. It tasted like mamey sapotes I've had before that I thoroughly enjoyed. I ate half of the fruit and was pleased to find that the smooth flesh was consistent throughout. No unripened areas encountered or tasted. I attempted a brix reading using my 'economy' refractometer, but it would not register (> 300). Overall, I'm very pleased with this fruit and think it would suffice as a mamey sapote substitute for my usda zone 9b FL (still have to frost protect).
Fruitguy (thank you) mentioned some great pluses I see with the this fruit.
1. The size is perfect for an individual serving. The fruit was intense for me. I could only eat half  ;D .
2. The ripening indicator. Green Sapote skin gets some orange patches when its ripening- a big plus versus scraping the skin of the mamey sapote.

A couple more fruit to go :). Thank you Lara Farms. Seemed like they picked it at an optimal stage and time.

F*ck squirrels and deers

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 04:49:17 AM »

They did exactly that on their own. Counter top ripened and uncovered. Thank you.
F*ck squirrels and deers

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 10:40:07 AM »
The taste of green sapote is quite similar to mamey sapote - both are delicious IMHO. The green sapote has smaller fruit and can easily be eaten in a single sitting compared to a Magaņa type mamey sapote which is more of a challenge. It is visually easier to determine when the green sapote fruit is ripe as the skin color changes from green to orange as it ripens, so you do not have to scratch the skin as one does with a mamey sapote.

Thank you... this makes me feel better about only having a Green Sapote

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 08:07:35 PM »

Soft and wrinkled white sapote is no good. Green sapote never ripe properly as banana or mango. Only ripe on the tree and timing is critical: just give to the squeeze and discarded when soft.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk