Author Topic: Taproots trigger my OCD - Mango/Mamey/Lychee  (Read 323 times)

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
Taproots trigger my OCD - Mango/Mamey/Lychee
« on: August 07, 2021, 02:54:16 PM »
The heat these days is ideal for seedling growth. I planted few seeds a couple weeks ago and I'm having a hard time keeping up with the taproot growth.

A bit more about my climate and soil, I have some of the hottest and driest summers in the Mediterranean. Temperatures are common to hover around 100f these days. And worst of all, for about 4 months at least, there would be absolutely 0 rain. Soil is very calcareous sand with negligible water holding capacity.

Irrigation is required and good stored rain water is a luxury. I'm telling you all of this because I want reassurance if possible, that even if the taproot gets "touched" I wouldn't lose a lot in the drought resistance front.

I use now 14-15" grow bags but I'm not confident that those will be enough. Same thing with Mamey. How long do you think I could keep a seedling happy in that kind of a bag please?

In the past I had a nasty issue with bottom root rot even though the bags are perforated, it seems that when I place the bag on tiled floor, the humidity still accumulates at the bottom and takes forever to evaporate because of smooth base of tiles. Have you noticed anything like this before?

One last thought, I once accidentally broke a mango taproot and few days later, it regrew? If that's always the case, it gives me hope that any damage may be reversible maybe?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk