Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Buy, Sell, & Trade

Looking for Low/no-Chill berries cuttings

<< < (2/3) > >>

EvilFruit:

--- Quote from: nullzero on March 01, 2015, 06:35:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: EvilFruit on February 28, 2015, 03:28:54 PM ---I found a source in Italy for Boysenberry, I heard growing it from a cutting is very easy , What do you think ?. do also recommend obtaining Loganberry ?.

Thanks

--- End quote ---

Boysenberry is your best bet for heat tolerance (I think), it does easily root. Try damp coir or peat moss after dipping in rooting hormone. I have not tried Loganberry, similar to boysenberry I hear.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Again NullZero.

I'll get Loganberry, Tayberry and Boysenberry cuttings and I'll report back in a few weeks from now.

starling1:
Tayberry will not do well for you, and neither will Loganberry. I can only suggest people recommended these have never tried to grow them in the subtropics.

I have. Basically what you'll get is extremely poor fruit set and an endless battle with leaf fungus.

There is only one Rubus  that does well in hot climates, and that is youngberry. Masses of berries every season.

nullzero:
I was trying to think of the name of that popular berry hybrid that is grown in Aussie (originally when I posted). Thanks for the post, I got to remember that youngberry is a good heat tolerant rubus sp. cross. I know for a fact boysenberry can handle 100 degree heat of Orange County, CA , without slowing it down. However I am unsure of its ability to tolerant hot and humid at the same time. I would hope its resistance to humid fungal issues is decent.

EvilFruit:

--- Quote from: starling1 on March 05, 2015, 06:43:43 AM ---Tayberry will not do well for you, and neither will Loganberry. I can only suggest people recommended these have never tried to grow them in the subtropics.

I have. Basically what you'll get is extremely poor fruit set and an endless battle with leaf fungus.

There is only one Rubus  that does well in hot climates, and that is youngberry. Masses of berries every season.

--- End quote ---

I wish I can get youngberry.cuttings but, I'm already having a hard time finding common hybrid berries like taberry or boysenberry.

You are right about fungal attacks, I think I should grow them in pots and bring them inside in summer.

I'm going to experiment with different types of berries and see what Happens.

Thanks Starling  ;)

starling1:

--- Quote from: EvilFruit on March 06, 2015, 05:45:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: starling1 on March 05, 2015, 06:43:43 AM ---Tayberry will not do well for you, and neither will Loganberry. I can only suggest people recommended these have never tried to grow them in the subtropics.

--- End quote ---

I wish I can get youngberry.cuttings but, I'm already having a hard time finding common hybrid berries like taberry or boysenberry.

You are right about fungal attacks, I think I should grow them in pots and bring them inside in summer.

I'm going to experiment with different types of berries and see what Happens.

Thanks Starling  ;)

--- End quote ---

Actually there is one Rubus that will do better for you than any other, and that is the native Australian raspberry, or Atherton Raspberry. Fruit are delicious ( I prefer them to regular raspberry) and their natural environment is the tropics. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?autoplay=1&v=5ZCfE_EowJY

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version