Author Topic: What's your favorite variety of papaya?  (Read 2023 times)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
What's your favorite variety of papaya?
« on: May 16, 2015, 11:49:46 PM »

Mine is either  H.solo or Khak Dam--in most cases the latter. You?

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite variety of papaya?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 06:36:50 AM »
I have tasted a number of papayas and so far solo is my favorite ripe papaya. I had some very tall plants in Orlando that produced heavily owing to me using spent mushroom compost from a local producer. My rabbits and chickens really enjoyed them too. Never had a chance to taste Khak Dam yet.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 06:39:03 AM by Bob407 »
Life is good

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »
I like the Hawaiian solo as well.  still waiting for mine to fruit in so cal.
Robert

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 10:43:11 PM »
I pugged my Sunrise papaya tree, because it was getting too tall.  It's starting to shoot new growth now.  I'm thinking of just starting new seedlings like they do in Hawaii.  Young trees have the most fruit production

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 03:50:32 AM »
Bisex usually taste better with solo and many of the elongated red asian types being very nice.Some of the local reds developed in my area seem to be at least as good as the solo and I have posted a few pix before.Yellows are a bit more hardy most of the time but the taste can't match bisex reds.The unpleasant 'nasturtium' taint in some varieties can be amplified by growing in an area too cool for them or when they are picked too early and left to ripen.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 07:43:53 AM »
Bisex usually taste better with solo and many of the elongated red asian types being very nice.Some of the local reds developed in my area seem to be at least as good as the solo and I have posted a few pix before.Yellows are a bit more hardy most of the time but the taste can't match bisex reds.The unpleasant 'nasturtium' taint in some varieties can be amplified by growing in an area too cool for them or when they are picked too early and left to ripen.

In Orlando most types had the off flavor except the Solo. Now that I am in PR I look forward to trying some tropical grown papaya. A friend brought buy some green papayas but those were shredded for salad with fish sauce.
Life is good