Author Topic: Native Atherton (tropical) raspberry in bloom  (Read 3645 times)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Native Atherton (tropical) raspberry in bloom
« on: June 13, 2015, 12:46:53 AM »
A couple have set so far, early into the season. Pretty much the only raspberry in existence that does well in the tropics. I prefer them to regular raspberries, sweeter and have a more intense flavour. Not doing seeds sorry, too much deliberation required. I CBF picking out seeds the size of grains of sand and trying to dry them.

Here's what they're like ripe. Kind of like little berets.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:49:48 AM by starling1 »

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
Re: Native Atherton (tropical) raspberry in bloom
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:50:05 AM »
Those don't really look like raspberries. Do you know the species name of this fruit?

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 04:56:01 AM »
Those don't really look like raspberries. Do you know the species name of this fruit?

Rubus Probus.

So yeah, it's a raspberry.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 05:07:43 AM by starling1 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 05:34:39 AM »
I see them along upland rainforest roadsides usually above 800m and they struggle in the lowlands.The can form 3 ft or more domes and intertwine in classic berry style.. They are a bit different on each mountain range with the Mt Lewis ones being large fruited.The taste is inferior to commercial raspberries being quite bland. In the rainforest lowlands Rubus mollucensis is a huge scrambling raspberry with angry prickles. It's fruit are quite sweet and of reasonable size but the hairs between the fruitlets get in the way.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 05:50:31 AM »

It looks like what we call here thimble berries. The ones we have here growing wild are Rubus rosifolius. I find them to be pretty tasteless.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 05:51:35 AM »
I see them along upland rainforest roadsides usually above 800m and they struggle in the lowlands.The can form 3 ft or more domes and intertwine in classic berry style.. They are a bit different on each mountain range with the Mt Lewis ones being large fruited.The taste is inferior to commercial raspberries being quite bland. In the rainforest lowlands Rubus mollucensis is a huge scrambling raspberry with angry prickles. It's fruit are quite sweet and of reasonable size but the hairs between the fruitlets get in the way.

Should that be Rubus moluccanus ?
Oscar

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 05:56:58 AM »

It looks like what we call here thimble berries. The ones we have here growing wild are Rubus rosifolius. I find them to be pretty tasteless.

Not thimble berry, that's rubus parviflorus. Wouldn't have thought they'd grow on Hawaii, surprising.

I do actually quite like the Atherton, more than regular raspberries.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 06:03:41 AM »

Not thimble berry, that's rubus parviflorus. Wouldn't have thought they'd grow on Hawaii, surprising.

I do actually quite like the Atherton, more than regular raspberries.

The thimbleberry growing wild here is Rubus rosifolius, not parvifolius. Thimbleberry grows wild all over my land, so handles lowland quite well. Don't see it at high elevations.
http://www.starrenvironmental.com/images/species/?q=rubus+rosifolius&o=plants
Oscar

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 01:06:21 PM »
how is it that mangoes are only M. indica despite having other mangifera species, yet many different rubus can be called raspberries?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 04:28:08 PM »
They are a native of my area and do look much like thimble berry but are clearly a different species.The taste is still alright and bland only compared to commercial raspberries is what I meant.
Yes Oscar molluccanus and I don't check names as often as I should but rely on my failing memory.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 05:07:04 PM »
how is it that mangoes are only M. indica despite having other mangifera species, yet many different rubus can be called raspberries?

It's part of the problem of the confusion with common names. Also different countries have very different names. For example, with Rubus rosifolius we do here in Hawaii differentiate and call them thimble berries, not raspberry, like they do in Australia. Also there is the native Hawaiian name for each rubus species, this one is called olaa. But i don't suspect anyone is going to remember that?
Oscar

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 10:12:29 AM »
Hi starling. Under what conditions are you growing these? I kept my Rosifolius in  a shady, heavy clay hillside, often dry. Got two flowers, no fruit (last year). I water occasionally, and cut down some trees for sun a few weeks ago, and I’m still waiting on fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »
Hi starling. Under what conditions are you growing these? I kept my Rosifolius in  a shady, heavy clay hillside, often dry. Got two flowers, no fruit (last year). I water occasionally, and cut down some trees for sun a few weeks ago, and I’m still waiting on fruit.

Rosifolius is a rampant wild weed here. It will grow in partial shade as well as full sun. It likes to stay wet, so that is probably your problem.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk