Author Topic: How to prepare a hole the right way  (Read 9678 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: How to prepare a hole the right way
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 01:44:49 AM »
yes it's a post hole auger. We have spots that are rocky as well and that's when I use a san angelo bar to pry out big rocks, which sounds like what you're describing.

Thanks. That's it. Never knew the english name because that name is not at all used here. This is an essential tool here.

Oscar

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 03:52:04 AM »
yes it's a post hole auger. We have spots that are rocky as well and that's when I use a san angelo bar to pry out big rocks, which sounds like what you're describing.

Thanks. That's it. Never knew the english name because that name is not at all used here. This is an essential tool here.

It's not worth expending the energy to try and dig out large rocks or boulders. Much more efficient to use a hammer and pins. Greatly reduces the time and energy input, and makes the stones easier to dispose of. You can split truly massive boulders using this method, it's very old, and very easy (so long as you have a decent drill and bit).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtY0q2F9SjY

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 05:01:11 AM »

It's not worth expending the energy to try and dig out large rocks or boulders. Much more efficient to use a hammer and pins. Greatly reduces the time and energy input, and makes the stones easier to dispose of. You can split truly massive boulders using this method, it's very old, and very easy (so long as you have a decent drill and bit).

Absolutely no sense to split rocks and leave them in place here, as everything is rocks! The aim is to remove a good amount of the rocks, so as to make a hole to fill in with good trucked in soil. The bar pries them loose, then can easily remove with shovel or by hand.
Oscar

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 05:41:40 AM »

Absolutely no sense to split rocks and leave them in place here, as everything is rocks! The aim is to remove a good amount of the rocks, so as to make a hole to fill in with good trucked in soil. The bar pries them loose, then can easily remove with shovel or by hand.

I wasn't suggesting they be 'left there', obviously.

If you split the rocks, it's easier to cart them off/ dig out the halves. It saves time and energy. Try it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 06:06:04 AM »

I wasn't suggesting they be 'left there', obviously.

If you split the rocks, it's easier to cart them off/ dig out the halves. It saves time and energy. Try it.
The rocks here are very easily split with the bar. You don't know what kind of rocks we have: a'a lava. Look it up.
Oscar