Author Topic: Davidson's Plum.  (Read 3664 times)

JFranco

• Ericeira, Portugal, Zone 10b.
    • View Profile
    • Passionfruit & Friends
Davidson's Plum.
« on: June 26, 2015, 10:26:13 AM »
Hi!

Is anyone in Europe cultivating this? It is a monoic or dioic species? And what about the fruit?

Thanks,

Joćo Franco

Cassio

• Brasil, Sćo Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
Re: Davidson's Plum.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 03:23:17 PM »
Hi Joćo!
Read this: http://e-jardim.blogspot.com.br/2012_02_01_archive.html ;)
I hear that you need at least two trees, but I don“t have knowledge to confirm or deny this.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 05:56:13 PM »

Davidson's plum is a native Australian fruit. Extremely sour.

They are self-pollinating if that's what you mean. One tree will, upon maturity, produce more fruit than you could ever possibly need.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »
I heard that they are dioecious. Experience seems to confirm this: 2 years of one tree flowering without setting fruit.
Oscar

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 07:11:18 PM »
I heard that they are dioecious. Experience seems to confirm this: 2 years of one tree flowering without setting fruit.

sigh

There are three types of Davidson's plums; D. Jerseyana,  D. Johnsonii, and D. Pruriens, which is probably the one you have as it is the most common.

I have personally seen gigantic and isolated specimens in rainforest clearings with bumper crops. If yours isn't fruiting by itself, it probably just means it hasn't reached the point hormonally that it will hold on to fruit as opposed to abort them. It's probably too young. Perhaps you might benefit from holding off on making premature assumptions based on facile observations.

http://www.anfil.org.au/key-native-species/flavour-of-the-month-april/

Here's a picture of a Davidson's Posted by a fellow Aussie on the Daleys site last year, which shows exactly what I am talking about.

As for the fruit, again, it is extremely sour. It is not eaten fresh out of hand, unless you happen to be a cassowary. It is used to make jams, and one Australian company has begun using it to flavour yoghurt. I am sure it has other applications I'm not aware of. Probably it is used to make wine also.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:56:58 PM by starling1 »

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 10:08:15 PM »
Yep, fruited mine for first time last year. Hundreds of flowers but only two fruit set. No other trees in sight and locked up in bush house so bees would not have got to it. Fruit are terrible... Lick a battery and your smack on the money for taste of one of these. I couldn't get it past my lips, but fruit and tree are very pretty. Fruit are a powdery blue and size of a good chook egg.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:26:46 PM »
tasted on in kona last year.  sour. but makes for good jam and sauces.  it was a single tree if I'm not mistaken....at least this particular variety, species.

JFranco

• Ericeira, Portugal, Zone 10b.
    • View Profile
    • Passionfruit & Friends
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 05:28:00 AM »
Extremely sour?! Aarrgh! Well I just wait and see what happens.

Thanks all!

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 12:26:33 PM »
Yep, fruited mine for first time last year. Hundreds of flowers but only two fruit set. No other trees in sight and locked up in bush house so bees would not have got to it. Fruit are terrible... Lick a battery and your smack on the money for taste of one of these. I couldn't get it past my lips, but fruit and tree are very pretty. Fruit are a powdery blue and size of a good chook egg.

how long did it take from seed?
Samuel
Reunion Island

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 09:31:38 PM »
Bought it as advanced tree from daleys nursery. Fruited at about 4' tall.