Author Topic: Grumichama  (Read 43706 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Grumichama
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 09:32:51 AM »
Grumixama has the same health benefits as wine...without the body having to deal with the alcohol 8) That's why i consider Grumixama to be a superfood like Açai, Guaraná,Camu-Camu...etc. I can't wait for my trees to start to produce and reap the health benefits of these trees ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 08:08:51 PM »
I've got 2 side by side purple grumichamas and they taste different. One is definitely better than the other. One leaves a bit of a slight bitter aftertaste in the mouth and the other doesn't.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 11:34:21 PM »
I've got 2 side by side purple grumichamas and they taste different. One is definitely better than the other. One leaves a bit of a slight bitter aftertaste in the mouth and the other doesn't.

I had a similar experience. One has lots of large, melting, sweet fruit with small seed. The other had small fruit, little pulp, bitter taste, hard skin, large seed, low productivity despite more flowers and looked scraggly. No prizes for guessing which of the two had a hot date with the axe and mattock...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 06:22:43 AM »
BMc if they let the backyard crew down they need to be cut from team.I am looking for voluntary retirements at the moment so I can accommoate new recruits.Good grumichamas are alright but they don't kick serious ass like a big luscious fruit bearer.

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »

Hi all,

Is eugenia itaguahensis is consider as grumichama? or it is from other variety?

Faezal
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 08:02:02 PM »
its a different species that looks almost identical to E. brasiliensis, but it's a much smaller tree, and I've read that the fruits aren't quiet as sweet as grumichama.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »
Hi Faezal,

Here a pic of Grumixama-mirim-Eugenia itaguahensis 8)

http://frutasraras.sites.uol.com.br/eugeniaitaguahiensis.htm

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »
The E. itaguahensis also fruits a lot faster and a lot smaller , started to fruit this year at 50 cm tall , just a few fruits though and the birds got them....so I cannot comment about the taste.
Now waiting for the copacabana , not holding my breath according to Harri and Marco's comments , but then again , Marco told me the neonitida was his favorite Eugenia and for me it is way down the list.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 10:22:26 PM »
The E. itaguahensis also fruits a lot faster and a lot smaller , started to fruit this year at 50 cm tall , just a few fruits though and the birds got them....so I cannot comment about the taste.
Now waiting for the copacabana , not holding my breath according to Harri and Marco's comments , but then again , Marco told me the neonitida was his favorite Eugenia and for me it is way down the list.

Luc i had the copacabanensis at Rio botanical garden, not so good, but very pretty tree and fruit. The neonitida fruits at Marco's house were indeed very good. But i like candolleana or brasilensis more.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 11:25:36 PM »
Grumichama/grumixama is tasty and sweet!
Candolleana is tasty and sweet! 
Neonitida is fragrant, tasty, and tart!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 03:20:52 AM »

3 days later than the previous photo the yellow grumichama flowers are opening and buds are all over the plant.There is no holding it back as I had a big march harvest.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 08:00:27 PM »
You must be doing something right Mike !!!!!
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 02:16:48 AM »

Hi all,

Can Grumichama be grafted to other type of Eugenias?...using Eugenia Samarangense as a host plant.

Faezal

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 06:17:12 AM »
I had a good feast on grumixama today!
the temps are hitting the high 30s with 90% plus humidity so they are ripening super quickly.
i also went to the farmers market this morning and purchased cherries picked yesterday evening 200km inland to compare the two. They both have their own flavour, but on a day like today, a grumixama chilled for 30mins is hard to beat. The grumixamas were equal in size to the cherries and were a touch sweeter. The flesh to seed ratio was about equal, with either being a shade larger than the otehr in different fruit. the cherries tasted like cherries though, and the grumixamas tasted more, if anything, like cherry plums...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »
I grow and like grumichamas. But in my opinion a good cherry is not in same caliber as a good grumichama. Ofcourse you can buy cherries from far away markets that are pretty bland, but a good cherry far outshines any grumichama.
It's kind of like comparing a good apricot with a tropical apricot (dovyalis hybrid), also not in the same league, even though they have the same names.
Oscar

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »
I had a good feast on grumixama today!
the temps are hitting the high 30s with 90% plus humidity so they are ripening super quickly.
i also went to the farmers market this morning and purchased cherries picked yesterday evening 200km inland to compare the two. They both have their own flavour, but on a day like today, a grumixama chilled for 30mins is hard to beat. The grumixamas were equal in size to the cherries and were a touch sweeter. The flesh to seed ratio was about equal, with either being a shade larger than the otehr in different fruit. the cherries tasted like cherries though, and the grumixamas tasted more, if anything, like cherry plums...

Hi BMc,

Is the fruits comes from your own grumichama tree? How tall is your grumichama tree? Can you please paste the picture here.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 02:38:41 PM »
Hi Bruce,
You sure are swimming in Grumixama's 8) They also have a nice size too!

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2012, 02:50:47 PM »
Good grumis are better than bad cherries but big fat and firm bings are in another league.They look great BMc and that one in the picture is very big.Faezal E.samarangense is now a Syzygium and is to distantly related for grumi grafting I think.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2012, 05:22:55 PM »

Hi BMc,

Is the fruits comes from your own grumichama tree? How tall is your grumichama tree? Can you please paste the picture here.

My tree is under 5ft tall. I keep it pruned hard each winter. It fruits 4 times in spring-summer-autumn, then it gets the chop back. I'll take pics next week when I get a chance to get into the garden.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »
I have two grumichama trees.....seedlings I believe.  They produce similar but slightly different tasting fruit.  Thankfully, neither has any bitterness or other bad after taste.  I find these to be the most shallow rooted of my trees/fruiting bushes.  They show drought stress before almost everything else.  They are gorgeous when in bloom.  The fruits are subject to fruit fly attack here.  Also the fruit tends to ripen too quickly, all at once.  Seems like one day they are firm and just coloring up and the next they are overripe. My trees seems to flower and set fruit twice in most years.  And, while they are nicely flavored, they do not hold a candle to any of the decent temperate cherries, in my humble opinion.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »
Hopkins is supposed to have a superior seedling, planted in the ground at their present location...but they don't propagate it.

I've only heard this from a friend, not confirmed by Hopkins...but I wouldn't doubt it.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2012, 09:59:10 PM »
BMc, nice pic's of your grumichama, is your soil down under alkaline, if so how do you acidify? 8)

tropical66

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2012, 05:19:58 AM »

Grumichama tree thrives during monsoon rainy season now. I fertilize the tree with chicken manure, peatmoss and osmocote fert. I hope
this tree will bear fruit soon.

cheers

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 05:44:09 PM »
This fourm is a real help I am keeping 20 plants to put up to #15 now not only will I look for bush shape But fruit taste some plants are letterd as to were they came from big fruit is one  a keeper.  I got ten yellow out of these last year.The 6 foot tree in the field is a good one .our trees fruit here in april may june

Mike

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2012, 12:07:31 AM »
Faezal that tree looks big enough to start fruiting.Sometimes getting enough K,P,Mg and Zn can make all the difference.Mine fruits well after a change in the weather also.When it rains after being dry for a while and when it gets warmer after a cooler time it flowers more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk