Author Topic: Ube in Southern California  (Read 1218 times)

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
Ube in Southern California
« on: February 05, 2023, 11:42:59 PM »
Ever since trying Ube ice cream I’ve been on a quest to grow the vine and make my own ice cream...I planted a vine in the spring of last year, 2022. It grew nicely and then died back when it stared getting cold, I believe in December some time. The vine is now completely dead (above ground at least) and I was thinking of digging it up to see if there’s any Ube down there, however, I think I’ll kill it because I’d have to dig up the roots, I think? Does anyone know when to harvest Ube in So Cal? And if you can keep the vine alive after harvest? Thanks
Nate

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Ube in Southern California
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 08:18:15 AM »
I think people usually harvest like 1-2 weeks after dieback, they're ready as soon you see it but people wait for cold temperatures to make them sweeter,  very very closely related to sweet potato

let them dry for a couple days and then cut off the eyes for new ube next year!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 08:28:10 AM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

Stomata

• Sarasota Florida. 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 06:30:52 PM »
You can harvest almost any time after it has grown significantly.   The top of the tuber is the best for replanting but almost any pieces will work. Also the aerial tubers are ideal for starting new plants. It is a different family from sweet potato and dioscorea alata yams are not very sweet, maybe as sweet as some potatoes. Enjoy your yams!

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 04:07:32 AM »
I have about a dozen plantings. I've harvested about 6 different plantings I had so far. Some in Dec, Jan, and recently. We had tons of rain so I would recommend harvesting it if your soil is clayish. Cut the top and regrow that next year, eat the rest.  Fountain Valley tends to be clayish. The tubers seems to develop this bark like skin and cracking that may be prone to rotting in wet cold weather. I had one planting where the tuber rotted but it was probably due to my planting mistakes, had it in almost pure compost. These were all container plants where the leaves all died back.  Even the roots seems to die back as there was no vibrant colored growth. I have several in ground ones that still are still green.  This is my first year harvesting ube.