Author Topic: Fruiting and flowering periods  (Read 1729 times)

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
Fruiting and flowering periods
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »
I'm new at growing fruits but am very interested in finding out the fruiting and flowering periods for all the plants people are growing. Can you guys contribute information on your plants, stating your region, the months during which the plant blooms, and the months during which it produces ripe edible fruit? Of course this applies only to plants mature enough to fruit reliably. Most of my plants were acquired within the last few months but I have had passion fruit for over a year:

REGION: San Diego (10b)

Purple Passion Fruit (passiflora edulis 'Frederick')
BLOOMS: April through December
FRUITS: July through March
NOTES: Flowers last 24 hours but are produced continuously. Most days have at least one flower. Fruits ripen in 3 months.

I hope you guys with all your fruits can contribute. In particular the fruits that produce over extended periods are most interesting. Reportedly surinam cherry, strawberry tree (muntingia calabura), and some jaboticaba can produce continuously or nearly so over the whole year...

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Fruiting and flowering periods
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »
wondering when soursop should bloom in south Florida?  I inherited a tree with fruit on it last year, but pruned it in August/September.  Wondering if it will skip a year.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »
I think people have too many plants to list here. It would be better to ask more specifically. What would you be interested in growing or what month are you looking for?

Also fruiting season can vary depending on region. SD is a little behind LA I think.
Lychee harvest starts in May in Southern China but in LA it's October.

North SD County CRFG collected data like this from members a while back. Maybe you can ask them for the information which will be closer to your climate. Maybe you could help renew that effort.

In old SD CRFG newsletters Jim Neitzel would write about what he's harvesting in the current month. Those might be useful as well.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions; I'll look into that. The particular plants I was most curious about are Surinam Cherry (and specific cultivars of it), 'Strawberry Tree' (muntingia calabura), the non-edulis passionfruits/granidillas (alata, quadrangulis, 'Ruby Glow', 'Purple Tiger', etc.), and tropical guava.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 08:27:55 PM »
The only harvest information I found on SD CRFG's website was basically about deciduous trees. The newsletters look worthwhile to peruse but it's a lot different than having seasonal information compiled together where it's easy to access. So it would sure be nice if people can contribute information on what they've seen with their plants.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk