Author Topic: Coconut cream in california  (Read 16640 times)

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut cream in california
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »
The second coconut cream is definitely a lot better than the first one.  I think this one is properly riped.  It's not as juicy as I'd like but it's extremely sweet like honey.  This one does have a light coconut undertone to complete the taste.  Overall a very flavorful mango.  I am glad i planted it.  Will need to figure out how to stake the tree though after I finish harvesting.

Robert

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2015, 09:27:44 PM »
The second coconut cream is definitely a lot better than the first one.  I think this one is properly riped.  It's not as juicy as I'd like but it's extremely sweet like honey.  This one does have a light coconut undertone to complete the taste.  Overall a very flavorful mango.  I am glad i planted it.  Will need to figure out how to stake the tree though after I finish harvesting.
Robert,
Glad you liked the 2nd CC.
You'll probably have to buy a bunch of those long green plastic coated metal stakes.  btw..I believe they are only $1.50 each (definitely no more than $2.50) at Daiso (fairly near your house).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:42:41 PM by wslau »
Warren

rliou

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 01:00:19 AM »
Warren:

Coconut cream is really a whole different beast when it comes to staking.  The branches are so twisted and soft that it makes it very difficult to keep them upright.  I already have 5 of those green stakes and the fruits just brought them all down to the ground. They make a really ugly mango tree :)
Robert

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 01:38:38 AM »
Robert,
My CC tree is not quite as big as yours or max's tree.  I guess I'll  to have to deal with this drooping characteristic next year.
Warren

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 08:54:07 AM »
To give a better look to the tree, try to limit the tree holding fruit at its current size.   It will never get a chance to develop stability.  The other thing you will have to do, and it may be a ywarly thing, us as the tree grows you will need to keep taking the lower limbs off.  You do not want them or your fruit ganging close to or on the ground.  I have had to do this from m y 4 year old tree and have had to perform the same maintenance on a tree that was top worked to a coconut cream 8 yers ago.

I will try and post a picture of my tree lster.
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 10:23:06 AM »

- Rob

rliou

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 02:01:38 PM »
I was thinking the same thing.  It looked much better last year when I didn't let it hold fruit.  It's so tough to not let it fruit especially since my wife have now tasted it and said it taste like Hawaii and she wants more :)

Robert

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2015, 09:08:08 PM »
Two of the favorites of the forum Maha and Coco cream I prefer CC any day of the week. Robert you wouldn't need to stake it if you use Manila rootstock. Here is a pic of Venus and Providence on Manila

rliou

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2015, 04:09:53 PM »
Looks like coconut cream redeemed itself.  After tasting this last one, i am convinced the first cc i tasted was under ripe.  The fully riped coconut cream is quite good.  The coconut flavor tends to stay near the skin.  Overall the best mango in my yard this year (for now at least till lemon zest ripens).

Robert

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2015, 06:48:37 PM »
Thanks for the update Robert, I bet the fruit will taste even better as the tree gains some size. I really enjoy mangos from much older larger trees. I had some Nam Doc Mai in Thailand from a large tree and also fruit from a much smaller tree and the fruit from the larger tree was sweeter and had better flavor. Please let us know how your Lemon Zest tastes. LZ is one of my favorite varieties.

Simon

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2015, 06:55:43 PM »
I miss CC! So good!
Life is good

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »
Coconut cream looking good for this year so far.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »
Max, do you foliar feed? Your trees seem to be performing very well for Florida/Turpentine rootstock trees and one of the best ways to mitigate the issues with Florida trees is by foliar feeding with micros.

Simon

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2017, 06:56:55 PM »
I have a coconut cream and lemon zest purchased six months ago from Florida. Both are flowering but after the "growing mangoes in SoCal" thread I was beginning to think they'd just flower themselves to death, but somehow a bunch of you got fruit.

Did you graft the plants yourself, or were they purchased locally or from Florida?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2017, 09:46:20 PM »
Florida trees fruit fine here, a little too fine. The issue comes when people let their young trees hold fruit. The cold weather stimulates fruit production in our trees and many new growers allow them to actually hold fruit to full maturity. When a plant is putting energy into fruit, it has that much less energy to put into new vegetative growth. Once a tree reaches good production size, it should be able to fruit every year without detriment to its overall health.

Simin

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2017, 01:31:12 AM »
@Simon, I rarely do any foliar feeding on any of my trees. I do intend to start spraying micro nutrients this year.

@Cgameprogrammer. Majority of all my trees are mail order from Florida. Only trees I have grafted myself is an Alphonso, NDM, and one of the Mahachanoks. Good luck with your trees.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2017, 10:02:52 PM »
@Cgameprogrammer. Majority of all my trees are mail order from Florida. Only trees I have grafted myself is an Alphonso, NDM, and one of the Mahachanoks. Good luck with your trees.

So, I suppose they are on turpentine rootstocks and growing very well at your place. If that's the case, we might be trashing turpentine as rootstock in So Cal for nothing...
Thera

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2017, 10:26:01 PM »
Thera, I still believe Manilla performs better. I believe Max probably has a soil pH closer to 6.5 and his nice mulch layer will help with increased nutrients getting to his plants. Max said he has to stake up his plants otherwise they will droop like what I have been suggesting.

Someone that has good plant husbandry skills and can keep up with fertilization schedules and can keep the soil pH in the proper range should be able to keep a Florida/Turpentine rootstock tree healthy but the average gardener will have troubles.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2017, 10:42:55 PM »
Thera, I still believe Manilla performs better. I believe Max probably has a soil pH closer to 6.5 and his nice mulch layer will help with increased nutrients getting to his plants. Max said he has to stake up his plants otherwise they will droop like what I have been suggesting.

Someone that has good plant husbandry skills and can keep up with fertilization schedules and can keep the soil pH in the proper range should be able to keep a Florida/Turpentine rootstock tree healthy but the average gardener will have troubles.

Simon

Proof of what Simon is saying is in Roger Meyer's journals from OC CRFG 2000 mango project. He had truck loads from pine island deliver at his house from a major group order. After 5 years 95% persist.....it's real Thera max is stringing them up like puppets AZ does this with his

ATNNavy

• USA, CA, Ventura Co, Port Hueneme, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2017, 06:10:37 PM »
Hello all,

Aaron here from Ventura County! Just planted my first mango tree! Want to learn and have a successful growth on new tree!

Respectfully,
Aaron

Murasaki Kirei

• 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2017, 06:57:54 AM »
What size Smart Pot should the final size be for these trees?
I'm limited to growing in containers. I currently have one in a 5 Gallon.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2017, 09:22:54 AM »
Abundance of Potassium isn't the only goal to reach to achieve fruit sweetness and quality.  Calcium is also extremely important for fruit sweetness and texture, and also for branch sturdiness and disease resistance.

Soil should have at least twice the parts per million of Calcium, as compared to the ppm of Magnesium and the ppm of Potassium.  [Many authors and consultants promote SEVERAL TIMES THE AMOUNT OF CALCIUM OVER POTASSIUM, and they are probably right.]

In many plants, DEFICIENCY OF COPPER causes weak lanky branches.

Although one is right to campaign against the traditional, constant over-use of Copper, many on this Forum have gone to the other extreme, and their plants now suffer from Copper deficiency.  Copper is an essential micro-nutrient for plants, and for humans also.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »
While it is presumably true, that when still-green-skinned, that mango fruit in sunlight gain a little sweetness directly from the skin, the main difference in sweetness is always going to come from the leaves' on that mango's branch being in intense sunlight for many hours of the day, versus those unfortunate fruits whose branches are shaded most of the day.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2017, 09:36:12 AM »
At Zill's experimental grove, I have harvested from the original 'Coconut Cream' tree, and several grafted-on-Turpentine 'Coconut Cream' trees right beside the original seedling.  Their growth habits are all completely normal.

So, not having encountered the lanky, drooping-branch issue with 'Coconut Cream', I haven't had the occasion to experiment with nutritional correctives, or with staking.

Har

Alibaba

• USA, orange county california
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »
Does anyone know where can I buy coconut cream mango tree in southern california?