Author Topic: White beetle on avocado tree  (Read 5524 times)

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
White beetle on avocado tree
« on: November 17, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
Just saw this beetle (I think that's what it is) on my avocado tree. I knocked him off but i've never seen anything like it. Anybody know what this little guy is?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: White beetle on avocado tree
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 11:57:17 AM »
Sri Lankan weevil

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:28:05 PM »
Sri Lankan weevil

Thanks for the quick reply skhan. I'll try spraying some neem oil on my tree and see if that helps. At any rate I'll pay close attention to make sure it doesn't do too much damage.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 12:35:21 PM »
Rip off their heads whenever you see them. You don't want them to get established. The larvae eat roots when the adults aren't eating the leaves. They are very widespread and persistent. Pretty much everyone I know has them in some amount or another.
-Josh

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
Rip off their heads whenever you see them. You don't want them to get established. The larvae eat roots when the adults aren't eating the leaves. They are very widespread and persistent. Pretty much everyone I know has them in some amount or another.

Anything I can do to repel them? I did a quick search and it looks like most chemicals are ineffective. I'll apply some neem oil tonight but it sounds like the best thing is to check it every day and kill them when I find them.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 01:05:41 PM »
I heard you can apply a beneficial nematode drench which will kill the grub. You should be able to find the link around the forum. I haven't used it yet. I've been using neem mostly, but it seems like you have to stay consistent with neem or they will just come back.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 01:19:16 PM »
these bastards do a number on my pouteria (mamey, canistel) and my lychees to a lesser extent.

I remember reading that a forum member went out at night, shook the tree with an upside down umbrella underneath (I presume to collect them for disposal and to make it easier to see them since they like to feed at night.  Manually squishing is the best recourse it seems, but I often just opt for the lazy route since crunchig bugs at night isn't one of my hobbies.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »
Why do people feel Neem is a kill all.  It has a few uses but other than that, is either useless or does more harm than good.  The weevils are a resultant of a grub, which can do as much or more damage.  If you leaves are not being devastated, do nothing.  I have not known the weevils to do great damage on avocados.  Their most popular hosts are mango, lychee, mamey and canistel.  Again, if no damage to the trees, than do nothing.  If you are getting a lot of tree damage (leaves), try drenching the tree with imidacloprid (I know many are against this).

I jave seen them on my car more than once (I believe I have a picture I can post)...should I spray the car with Neem?   ::) ::) ;)
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 03:21:29 PM »
If most leaves are shredded, but still have lots of green parts (almost every leaf has torn up, jagged edges) remaining, would you do nothing?
~Jeff

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 04:28:12 PM »
They have been a persistent pest on my mango tree for years.  I walk around the tree each day and can easily knock off half a dozen or so.  And those just the ones I see.  Lots of jagged leaves tell me there are many more.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 04:43:44 PM »
I use Raid. For the places I can't reach. Not advocating it or saying it would be safe on your plants as it has been on mine. But just saying. Neem just makes your tree leaves look shiny and healthy.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 05:10:14 PM »
There is a chemical out there that a friend has found very effective. I am not sure if it is the same one bsbullie is talking about but it is a systemic root drench that SouthernAG carries. If you go the beneficial nematode route, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IF THEY ARE ALIVE under a microscope. I had to have 3 packages sent because they were DOA when I mailordered from a reputable source. They worked great for my Diaprepes outbreak. Do the head pinch method when you are out walking the yard too.
-Josh

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 05:47:26 PM »
Why do people feel Neem is a kill all.  It has a few uses but other than that, is either useless or does more harm than good.  The weevils are a resultant of a grub, which can do as much or more damage.  If you leaves are not being devastated, do nothing.  I have not known the weevils to do great damage on avocados.  Their most popular hosts are mango, lychee, mamey and canistel.  Again, if no damage to the trees, than do nothing.  If you are getting a lot of tree damage (leaves), try drenching the tree with imidacloprid (I know many are against this).

I jave seen them on my car more than once (I believe I have a picture I can post)...should I spray the car with Neem?   ::) ::) ;)

I am new to growing both fruit trees and vegetables, so as I've encountered pests and fungus throughout the year i've done some research online at EDIS, watched videos from other successful growers and discussed the issues at nurseries. While I never had the impression that neem is a cure-all, it seems to have more beneficial properties than negative ones. What are the harmful effects of this oil?

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 06:51:24 PM »
Some trees hate it, I have also noticed that bees also don't like it and steer clear of it.

I find it funny how these bugs like different trees in different places. Where I have seen them here they love cacao, but don't touch the mango trees less than 15 feet away. They are all over the lychee tree 100 feet away but the tree is so big they do little damage.I also have never seen them on any of the 6 species of poutaria growing near by. They also don't seem to like trees that don't have branches with in 10+ feet of the ground as much. No scientific proof just what I have noticed.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 08:24:53 PM »
My trees are loaded with this pest. I have tried using malathian , pyrethrin, and  imidacloprid with no success. I have sprayed the malathian directly on the weevil and they are unphased? I have seen them at almost every nursery and private collection this year. I hope someone figures it out soon. I asked Steve last week at Fruitscapes and he also said try imidacloprid. I told him it didn't work and he said they build up a resistance to it. I use imidacloprid routinely to control leaf minor and the damn weevils must have built up immunity to it? He suggested using orthenex for 6 months and then switching back to imidacloprid for 6 months.
 I have been waiting to try horticulture oil with parafine. The oil smothers the insect as apposed to poison. The oil will burn the leaves if it is 90F and one day we might cool off?
Tomorrow it is suppose to be 89F.
Thanks Gunnar429 for the link, it shows the life cycle and I will try the oil once a week for 3 or 4 weeks at least. I think frosts have been the only temporary relief I have seen. The weevil is on my citrus although it is not their favorite tree. With all the groves around my house it seems like I will never win. The beetle has a endless host next door. Hopefully I can use the oil in the winter and the orthenex and imidacloprid in the summer and get control of this pest?

Mike

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »
I have seen many lychees from Fruitscapes and no weevil damage.  No weevil damage.  Havent seen damage at ZHPP or Excalibur.

What strength  did you mix the imidacloprod?
- Rob

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 10:15:18 PM »
Steve told me this is the worst year he has ever seen for the weevils.  I did buy 2 lychees earlier this year from Fruitscapes and the leaves were not chewed until they got to my place.  I use 2oz per 12 trees and the imidacloprod is Macho. I have heard nuprid is better and will use it for now on. Are there orange groves near ZHPP or Excalibur?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 10:37:26 PM »
No, no orange groves around here.  Orange groves have battled a different type of weevil for years. I had them bad at my place last year but was able to rid them by using Venom and imidacloprid in 2 separate drenching applications. I still see a weevil here and there but the damage is minimal to nothing.  My lychee has pushed 3 or 4 flushes with clean leaves.

How many gallins are you stretching the 2 oz in?
- Rob

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 08:21:40 AM »
First I shake the imidacloprid then I put the 2 oz in a one gallon milk jug. Then I add water and shake well. Then I put 10oz from the milkjug in a 5 gallon bucket and add about 2 gallons of water and drench the roots of each tree. I have some older 5 year old trees which I give 14 oz to and some smaller trees I give 8oz to. I have virtually no leaf minor on my citrus with this application. I treat February 1st April 1st
June 1st August 1st and October 1st. I talked extensively with someone who works for Duda and came up with this schedule.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 08:30:08 AM »
Let me check on what rate i have used.  One thing, i dont think you are using enough drench on each tree.  Remember,  it has to get to a point shere you are not only trying to kill the grubs but for the roots to be able to take it up.  It also doesn't hurt to use as a foluar application at the same time, with a teaspoon of liquid dish soap,  to kill any weevils. 
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 09:08:32 AM »
It's funny how they will eat one variety of mango leaves and not the tree next to it!
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk