Author Topic: SW Florida looking for Dwarf Hawaiian, Rosa, and Frances hargrave mango trees  (Read 4016 times)

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Looking for 3 gal size grafted mango trees, anywhere south of Tampa in SW Florida. Might consider 7 gal trees. Varieties I am looking for are Frances Hargrave, Dwarf Hawaiian, and Rosa.  I know a few nurseries in SE Florida list them, I might drive out if I knew for sure that they are available. I just hesitate to ask for a specific variety when I call a nursery unless I have a level of personal trust that the trees are true to type and not tag switched just to make a sale. I also hesitate to drive 120 miles or more each way to find out what I want is unavailable. I am in Cape Coral.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Looking for 3 gal size grafted mango trees, anywhere south of Tampa in SW Florida. Might consider 7 gal trees. Varieties I am looking for are Frances Hargrave, Dwarf Hawaiian, and Rosa.  I know a few nurseries in SE Florida list them, I might drive out if I knew for sure that they are available. I just hesitate to ask for a specific variety when I call a nursery unless I have a level of personal trust that the trees are true to type and not tag switched just to make a sale. I also hesitate to drive 120 miles or more each way to find out what I want is unavailable. I am in Cape Coral.

Tag switching??? heaven forfend!

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
I have had it happen several times in the past in another state with temperate fruits. Odds are at LEAST one of the trees I already have in the ground is a Haden or a TOMMY LOL

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Truly tropical in Delray usually has dwarf Hawaiian and Rosa. Only place I know what carries them. I think Francis hargrave might be easier to find.

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Have you gone to fruitscapes on Pine Island? I believe I've seen Dwarf Hawaiian there. Maybe others. I believe they can order things in from east coast too on request.

I don't really think they are the tag-swapping-to-make-a-sale type. I've bought thousands of $ worth of trees from those guys and always seem to be straight up and willing to give honest info.
- Colin

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile

I got my Dwarf Hawaiian from Truly Tropical. They have Rosa as well. You will have to call them and find out if they have  3 gallon trees now.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
I'll second checking with Fruitscapes before driving to the east coast. They've always taken great care of me and the one time I had a tree that was mislabeled they took care of it ASAP.
Dom

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
If you're in Cape Coral, fruitscapes is right near you. No "tag switching" there

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Unfortunately,  I highly doubt Fruitscapes will have Dwarf Hawaiian or Frances Hargrave and I would say almost no chance of Rosa.  While I am sure you have your reasons for wanting them (Frances Hargrave is very good, the other ro not so much IMO), they are not commonly propagated.  ZHPP does not propagate any of them.  Excalibur propagates Frances Hargrave and possibly has some Dwarf Hawaiian but definitely not Rosa.  Maybe Lara Farms in Homestead might but definitely call before making the trip.  If I had to guess. I would say Truly Tropical may be your only chance for Rosa unless an individual member has grafted any.
- Rob

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Thanks to all for your help. I wanted one tree of the earliest possible compact healthy mango variety that is NOT Rosigold, I have never seen a Rosigold at any nursery that didn't look weak and ragged, and I don't like sickly trees that are in constant need of spraying.
I figured by including Rosa in my request it would double my chances of finding a really early mango. Enjoyable but far from great is ok for one of the earliest fruit of the season... I think dwarf Hawaiian would suit me for an early fruit.
   I know Fruitscapes sells lot of locally sourced fruit from varieties of which they don't carry trees of for sale.(they charge a pretty penny for the fruit) Can't really blame them for selling fruit for the highest price they can get. I would go broke buying a dozen or more mangos a day all Summer from them, my family tears into them like starving wolves. I still buy some mangos from them to taste new varieties. Good nursery, and people I would trust not to switch tags, but not a HUGE selection of varieties on hand.
 Frances Hargrave just sounds too good to not have a tree of , since it is supposed to be a compact, fairly early season, healthy tree 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I said what I did as for me, personally,  I will forego the super early varieties and focus more on quality early varieties.  Frances Hargrave is a worthy early variety as is the Guava mango ( not currently available but should be by late 2017 or early 2018).  Dupius is another good early variety however its growth habit is of high vigor and ZHPP has discontinued propagation of it.
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Dwarf Hawaiian's disease resistance sucks.

I might have missed if you've had them, but You might consider trying all these before buying them. Many Americans dislike the taste of Dwarf Hawaiian and particularly Rosa. Both of these are fibrous mangos.

I find Frances Hargrave bland, and it isn't ultra early like the others.