Author Topic: any opinions about Honeymoon variegated guava?  (Read 4059 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
any opinions about Honeymoon variegated guava?
« on: May 04, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
Hi all. I'm super-tempted by the tt description of the Honeymoon variegated guava. But I know they're selling plants and don't always have the most accurate descriptions. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this variety? I'm looking for a great tasting fruit on the less mealy (for a guava) side. Does this one qualify?

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: any opinions about Honeymoon variegated guava?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
These are 15 bucks each at a different nursery. Last time I checked tt were selling for 90+  :o

I planted one at a relatives property a couple years back. Taste is OK nothing special - for $90+ a 3gal guava better make sandwiches and clean the dishes.

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »
yes I wasn't going to buy from TT - ridiculous price! But taste is just ok - what about texture? production? worm resistance?

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 04:17:19 PM »
Worm resistance might be better as its variegated. I doubt a fruit fly is going to pass up on an unprotected ripe fruit though. Can smell the ripe fruit from 15ft away. I would not label it vigorous compared to other guavas. Tasted like your average guava, has the normal heavy guava fragrance when the fruit is ripe. If you like guava you'll like it.

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 04:46:03 PM »
I will have to disagree with dwfl.  Fruitscapes has one planted and it puts out a lot of guavas. I tried some a few times and they were some of the best guavas I've had in a long time. Smell is delightful. They just got done air layering a bunch last month. I bought one and it's fruiting now.
Quentin

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 04:49:16 PM »
sounds terrific thanks for the reply! I don't suppose Fruitscapes ships plants...

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »
sounds terrific thanks for the reply! I don't suppose Fruitscapes ships plants...

They don't. I suppose somebody could pick one up for you and ship it. Ship to somewhere in USA or ?

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »
very South Florida - zip 33165. so close and yet so far away! if there was someone willing to pickup and package and ship a plant and it didn't end up costing more than the $50 plus shipping I'd pay on ebay that would be amazing! but it's a pretty big favor to ask.
what size are they offering? if it's one gallon or smaller it's a huge temptation.

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 07:03:18 PM »
They were potted in 3g when they cut them from the tree.
Quentin

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 07:26:12 PM »
hmm. and yet still a big temptation. :)

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 08:04:42 PM »
I bought it from TT a couple of years ago (they're one of the few nurseries shipping to CA legally). It really is highly productive even though it's variegated. Fruits are relatively small and with plenty of seeds, but the flavor can be good. I say "can be" because I found that ir varied; early season fruits seemed much better than later season fruits. TT also sells a variety they call "Sweet Kiss" and I think tha one is much better quality, though not as productive.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 09:17:49 PM »
very South Florida - zip 33165. so close and yet so far away! if there was someone willing to pickup and package and ship a plant and it didn't end up costing more than the $50 plus shipping I'd pay on ebay that would be amazing! but it's a pretty big favor to ask.
what size are they offering? if it's one gallon or smaller it's a huge temptation.

They are in 3gal but shouldn't be an issue for shipping to SFL. I'd be willing to help you out. I'll check to see if they have any left.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 09:28:38 PM »
I will have to disagree with dwfl.  Fruitscapes has one planted and it puts out a lot of guavas. I tried some a few times and they were some of the best guavas I've had in a long time. Smell is delightful. They just got done air layering a bunch last month. I bought one and it's fruiting now.

Marvel, I didn't mention anything about productivity. I did say they weren't vigorous growers, which is different from production. I agree the smell is intoxicating and can smell it from a distance. I'll have to disagree that you disagree!  ;)  ;D  If you like Guava, you'll like it... I just wouldn't pay 90 stinking bucks for one of them.

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 09:48:21 PM »
are they selling the 3-gallon for $15? if so that's a whole lot better than $50...

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 09:59:42 PM »
are they selling the 3-gallon for $15? if so that's a whole lot better than $50...

Call them tomorrow and ask? I bought one for 15 a couple years ago.

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 10:07:04 PM »
thanks I'll do that. and I just might pm you regarding your very generous offer.

MarvelMango

• Bokeelia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 08:52:12 AM »

Marvel, I didn't mention anything about productivity. I did say they weren't vigorous growers, which is different from production. I agree the smell is intoxicating and can smell it from a distance. I'll have to disagree that you disagree!  ;)  ;D  If you like Guava, you'll like it... I just wouldn't pay 90 stinking bucks for one of them.

I only disagree on taste lol. sorry if I didn't word it right. Writing is not my forte.  ;)
Quentin

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 09:52:57 AM »
Ahh I agree, tastes are subjective and I would love to hear more opinions on the taste of this guava but not sure enough people have tasted it to get many opinions here in this thread. I also agree with cgameprogrammer though regarding the taste not always being consistent. The first variegated guava I tasted was an early fruit (the first on the tree) and it was great! Had some more later in year and some were sort of bland - not bad but not great. I'm not a big fan of Guava but this one tastes OK to me is probably what I should have typed right off the bat :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk