Author Topic: San Diego Botanic Garden Visit  (Read 4162 times)

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
San Diego Botanic Garden Visit
« on: May 21, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
I had a nice visit to the San Diego Botanical Garden and decided to spend some more time in the subtropical fruit section and look around.  Everything is starting to grow after winter, and with all the rain we had many of the fruit trees are looking much better than in the past couple of drought years.  Maybe in twenty years my Jaboticaba will look as nice as the one in the gardens!

Jaboticaba

Jordan Macadamia

Yellow Coffee

Black Sapote

Satin Leaf

Lucuma

Surinam Cherries

Cherimoya Flowers

Bob

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Botanic Garden Visit
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 11:57:20 PM »
It is such a nice place to visit, thanks for sharing your photos.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 12:18:47 AM »
It's a nice place to visit. They have a great palm collection. I saw a Kuka there last year

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 01:36:18 AM »
Don't try the black sapote there. Both of them are pretty bad tasting specimens. They also got rid of the good tasting kei apple tree last year. When I say they, I don't mean the volunteers, I mean the executives.

It's a great place to visit and they have many things going for them. I used to volunteer there so there a few of their decisions still bug me.

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 03:17:50 AM »
I must have missed the Kei Apple, but have only been there a few times. 

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 10:27:17 AM »
It's a nice place to visit. They have a great palm collection. I saw a Kuka there last year
Indeed, I appreciate the different palms they have there and most are doing fantastic.  When you mentioned Kuka do you mean a Baobab (Adansonia)?  I had to Google that.
Bob

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
Don't try the black sapote there. Both of them are pretty bad tasting specimens. They also got rid of the good tasting kei apple tree last year. When I say they, I don't mean the volunteers, I mean the executives.

It's a great place to visit and they have many things going for them. I used to volunteer there so there a few of their decisions still bug me.

Do you think Exotica and California Tropicals have better varieties of Black Sapote?  When I am at the garden with the volunteers, there isn't a ripe one to be found.  But many are eaten by the wildlife with the chocolate pudding and seeds scattered. ;)
Bob

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 11:11:29 AM »
One of the gem gardens in Ca. sad to hear they edited the sweet kei apple, last time festival of fruit was in San Diego visited there and tried a kie apple from bush near shed and it was pretty sweet i was amazed because that was sweetest kie apple I've ever tasted! Have a seedling growing so in future when it fruits i'll know if it's sweet or not! If it's like my other 20= year old kie apples it took about 15yrs. before it fruited and they are way tart but nice property line protector ;)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 11:54:17 AM »
Do you think Exotica and California Tropicals have better varieties of Black Sapote?  When I am at the garden with the volunteers, there isn't a ripe one to be found.  But many are eaten by the wildlife with the chocolate pudding and seeds scattered. ;)
I'm not sure where to get good black sapote but CRFG members in San Diego have them. Probably Exotica.

The kei apple is by the Larabee house which is past the herb garden if you're going from the subtropicals garden.

Are the passion fruits still there on the fence? Bob Holzinger put in some varieties about 5 years ago and often went to care for them.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 12:56:27 PM »
Indeed, I appreciate the different palms they have there and most are doing fantastic.  When you mentioned Kuka do you mean a Baobab (Adansonia)?  I had to Google that.

No P.sargenntii that's the local name in the region

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 07:37:18 PM »
The zoo has a bunch of excellent kei apple trees. One is near the elephants and another is on the way to the tortoises, opposite the bananas along the big open area.

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 11:27:09 PM »
I'm not sure where to get good black sapote but CRFG members in San Diego have them. Probably Exotica.

The kei apple is by the Larabee house which is past the herb garden if you're going from the subtropicals garden.

Are the passion fruits still there on the fence? Bob Holzinger put in some varieties about 5 years ago and often went to care for them.

Thanks Fyliu...I'll try to track down a Black Sapote later in the year.  I did see a few Passiflora on the fence you mentioned.  Specifically there was a P. citrina that was in bloom.  I'll have to look more carefully next month to see if there are other species.
Bob

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 11:40:40 PM »

No P.sargenntii that's the local name in the region
Okay cool!  I really like the P. sargentii I have seen in the Yucatan.  Beautiful small palm with cherry red fruit.  I wish they grew a little faster here in California!
Bob

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 11:44:41 PM »
What variety is that lucuma?

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 12:02:15 AM »
What variety is that lucuma?
it was Montero variety, sorry I forgot to list that.

Bob

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 12:40:06 AM »
That lucuma makes large impressive fruits but they're dry kind. The big seeds are good for growing rootstocks too.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 01:25:12 AM »
That lucuma makes large impressive fruits but they're dry kind. The big seeds are good for growing rootstocks too.

Fang, is this drier than the one in the Fullerton arboretum?

I haven't had a moist lucuma yet.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 01:39:43 AM »

I haven't tried the one in Fullerton. This one is similar in dryness to the parmigiano reggiano cheese wedges sold at Costco. It's kind of crumbly.

xshen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 02:09:35 PM »

I haven't tried the one in Fullerton. This one is similar in dryness to the parmigiano reggiano cheese wedges sold at Costco. It's kind of crumbly.

Oh.... this is the much drier one. The one at fullerton has more moisture. I think that one is de sada