Author Topic: Muntingia tree leaves in SoCal  (Read 1274 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Muntingia tree leaves in SoCal
« on: March 26, 2019, 12:11:53 AM »
I've been growing a Muntingia calabura tree in a container for some time before in Northern and now in Southern California, and in the winter its leaves seem to not just turn yellow but dry up and fall off.  Does anyone in SoCal have one in the ground, and how does it fare through the winter?  Do you get branch dieback, or does it do fine through the winter with little/no leaf loss or dieback?

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Muntingia tree leaves in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 01:26:23 AM »
Some dieback after hitting high 20s & consistent low 30s from winter.

They'll bounce back once it starts to consistently heat up.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 08:04:34 PM »
I'm just a couple of miles from the coast (much warmer at night than the inland areas) and mine looks fine. It did not die back or lose many leaves; a fair number of the leaves look crinkly and a little brown on the edges, though it does have a good number of healthy-looking leaves. I don't think it grew during the winter though, but I'm expecting it to begin its usual rapid growth very soon.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 08:20:32 PM »
I'm just a couple of miles from the coast (much warmer at night than the inland areas) and mine looks fine. It did not die back or lose many leaves; a fair number of the leaves look crinkly and a little brown on the edges, though it does have a good number of healthy-looking leaves. I don't think it grew during the winter though, but I'm expecting it to begin its usual rapid growth very soon.

Interesting, thanks.  How big is your tree / how fast does it grow for you in the ground?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk