Author Topic: Trinidad: Everbearing Julie Mango  (Read 1111 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Trinidad: Everbearing Julie Mango
« on: September 06, 2019, 05:32:43 PM »
So I met a guy from Trinidad yesterday who claims the tree in his mother’s yard bears all year. Never heard of such so wondering if anyone at that latitude or otherwise has witnessed such a big phenomenon. It begs the question, what would be inducing multiple blooms in that climate.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad: Everbearing Julie Mango
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 06:02:40 PM »
I think Alex has stated in the past that Juile is easily triggered into flowering. It may be that the tree is located in a position as to get the right stimuli to flower more frequently (Proximity to cold &or dry).

It is also possible the tree is a mutant, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion until the above circumstance is eliminated.

Additionally, a study in Australia determined that precocity of a grafted mango cultivar is dependent upon the rootstock onto which it is grafted, so the possibility also exists that the rootstock is the cause.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »
I here similar reports from family and friends from Guyana. Not Julie though, mostly Buxton spice.

Seems like the true tropics aren't limited to one defined season.

I don't really know what's triggering the trees are how long of a dry spell they get

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »
I dont know about ever bearing (always having fruit on the tree) but my dad has 20+ yr old Julie trees in Trinidad would get 3 seasons of fruit:

March/April (small crop)
May/June/July
and sometimes a small crop around Nov/Dec.

I think the rains induce flowering. And also most Caribbean people still practice burning of yard waste in the backyard, where they'd be having mango trees, thus inducing some flowering response.

The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 06:34:37 PM »
I dont know about ever bearing (always having fruit on the tree) but my dad has 20+ yr old Julie trees in Trinidad would get 3 seasons of fruit:

March/April (small crop)
May/June/July
and sometimes a small crop around Nov/Dec.

I think the rains induce flowering. And also most Caribbean people still practice burning of yard waste in the backyard, where they'd be having mango trees, thus inducing some flowering response.

That’s a pretty good spread in harvest and yes...burning waste makes sense!

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 08:08:02 PM »
i have seen Julie fruit and flower in hawaii at the same time and make a second crop. some people may claim 3 crops from one tree in a year but ive never personally seen it , and for that to happen consistently, i would find it really hard to believe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk