Author Topic: Santol Growing Experiences..  (Read 920 times)

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
Santol Growing Experiences..
« on: August 05, 2020, 04:04:12 PM »
A couple days ago i bought 3 Santol trees, all of em on the 5ft ballpark. Any suggestions regarding planting, sun exposure, as well as experiences growing this plant would be appreciated. I have heard they can take full sun and also dosent need cross-pollination, however im not 100% sure on this.

,William

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Santol Growing Experiences..
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 09:30:11 PM »
Santol is a good size tree that should be planted in full sun with at least 8m spacing.
Peter

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 07:18:02 PM »
Santol is a good size tree that should be planted in full sun with at least 8m spacing.
Peter

Thanks peter! Do you have the sweet or the sour variety?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 06:11:46 PM »
They are big alright getting way taller than mango trees and growing faster as well. Red and green varieties referred to is just about leaf colour when the leaves drop and most good ones are red. Manila and Bangkok varieties are the main ones in circulation and they are sour/sweet. None are really sweet and some are a little more sour than these.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 09:47:39 PM »
I see the trees being sold at nurseries here but i have not heard anyone fruiting it in South Florida. I recently saw a tree that was 15ft tall and the grower never had flowers/fruits, he said he grew from seed yrs ago. What could be the reason? Do they take many years like 8-10 yrs to start flowering if grown from seed?

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 10:49:55 PM »
They fruit here! 'Pui Fai' and another variety (Bangkok?) from Painter's farm. The trees do get big.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 07:16:30 AM »
They fruit here! 'Pui Fai' and another variety (Bangkok?) from Painter's farm. The trees do get big.

Glad to know. If it is possible there, should be ok in Miami climate. Do you know if they are dioecious? My friend in Ft myers has only one tree and that never flowered so i was wondering. Would love to visit Painter’s farm, i sent a message in forum 2 wks ago but i see he is seldom active in forum.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 08:23:42 AM »
I sometimes see trees as small as 20ft with fruit. When you see trees over 100ft (they reportedly can be 150ft) you realise they are not the tree for most yards. They should fruit within 8 or 9 years. Isolated trees routinely fruit and I assume they are mono.