Author Topic: Only Achacha farm in the USA video tour  (Read 2959 times)

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
Only Achacha farm in the USA video tour
« on: January 21, 2021, 01:47:31 PM »
Found this great video on youtube, great to see this guy planting thousands of achachas, as i feel this fruit has more potential.

https://youtu.be/3dkd04sMQnA

,William

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Only Achacha farm in the USA video tour
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 04:34:20 PM »
They don't want me working there; might eat too much.

So cool, gotta check them out.

Wonder how long till they get good production. Biggest tree is 10 feet.

Thanks for posting!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 05:37:01 PM »
A 10ft achacha can pump out 100s of fruit a season and they get loaded.I have eaten 1000s of them and think they would struggle to be in the top 10 American Garcinias if judged by fruit quality alone.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 06:51:50 PM »
A 10ft achacha can pump out 100s of fruit a season and they get loaded.I have eaten 1000s of them and think they would struggle to be in the top 10 American Garcinias if judged by fruit quality alone.

Are you saying they are not very good, or just not good in your overall  Garcinia rating?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 06:58:01 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbwDH70Mhok
I am sure most people have seen this achacha advertisement that is over 10 years old now. It helped establish a market and equivalent advertising in the US could do the same.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 07:03:06 PM »
Dang, the sounds when he is opening and  eating that achacha are way too gnarly lol
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 09:12:15 PM »

I differ from your statement mike, i’ve bought and seen purple mangosteens in the Us, and may i say they are the crappiest and driest ones ive ever tried. Having a large quantity of trees as he has, he could easily sell them the freshest possible cause theyre grown in the main land. Not to mention there is pretty much no competition. Hardest part would be to get the couple thousand trees  ;D

,William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 09:33:39 PM »
I was being specific about American Garcinias rather than bring mangosteen, dulcis and others into the equation. I have eaten plenty of bad mangosteens as well.. Achachas will never be a taste sensation and people will never lie awake at night marvelling over the taste of this fruit. There are better eating Garcinia fruits in South America and Mexico for that matter. I routinely eat fresh achachas straight from the trees which are not uncommon in my neck of the woods.

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 09:38:55 PM »
I was being specific about American Garcinias rather than bring mangosteen, dulcis and others into the equation. I have eaten plenty of bad mangosteens as well.. Achachas will never be a taste sensation and people will never lie awake at night marvelling over the taste of this fruit. There are better eating Garcinia fruits in South America and Mexico for that matter. I routinely eat fresh achachas straight from the trees which are not uncommon in my neck of the woods.
Which American garcinias do you favor if I may ask?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 10:36:51 PM »
The Ecuadorian macrophylla is way better as is the undetermined macrophylla like one I posted in the Luc's Garcinia thread.Better flavour and sweeter. Lu's Mexican off my tree are better. I have also tried what I believe is megaphylla and it is better as is a form of garneriana I have tried before. Fuzzy G.madruno I have eaten off a tree at Mission Beach is way better. From the descriptions of others on lindero, bicuda,san sebastion,, Garcinia sp. medruno and the madrono like fuzzy one with appoint I have tried is also better. The name will come to me.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 10:42:45 PM »
How could I forget acuminate. I am referring to selections of these species of course.

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 12:47:35 AM »
How could I forget acuminate. I am referring to selections of these species of course.

So if you could only plant 1 garcinia in the ground would it be the Ecuadorian macrophylla? I heard purple mangosteen was still better than lucs and achacha. Has anyone grafted purple to lucs to see if it helped with hardiness?
Or should I just plant another lychee?...

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 12:56:04 AM »
The Ecuadorian macrophylla is way better as is the undetermined macrophylla like one I posted in the Luc's Garcinia thread.Better flavour and sweeter. Lu's Mexican off my tree are better. I have also tried what I believe is megaphylla and it is better as is a form of garneriana I have tried before. Fuzzy G.madruno I have eaten off a tree at Mission Beach is way better. From the descriptions of others on lindero, bicuda,san sebastion,, Garcinia sp. medruno and the madrono like fuzzy one with appoint I have tried is also better. The name will come to me.

To be honest i havent tried the fruit yet but i do have a couple trees. Interesting to see you say that achacha isnt anything amazing. However ive heard pretty much everyone else rave about the flavor and some even sayin its better than mangosteen. Would like to see what others think aswell

,William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 04:11:50 AM »
WYTG and LL well may you ask how achachairus stack up in a Garcinia pageant and even an American Garcinia pageant and should you just plant another lychee. Scroll through past threads and you will see folk talking up the exquisite taste of pitangatuba and vexators.
The trees are lovely and productive but a sober analysis of achacha sweetness, flavour profile and flesh recovery may raise your eyebrows. Better than a mangosteen? Really Maybe a sorry fruit that was dragged across the globe after being picked too early etc but no and not in the ball park of mangosteen let alone a borneo giant seedless mangosteen.

Are good dulcis and Russell Sweet better? Hell yeah and by a country mile.

Mexican vs achacha is no contest in my opinion.

Ecuadorian macrophylla is sweeter, has more flesh and bigger fruit but Brazilian macrophylla has an even better taste.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 04:13:40 AM »
I would hate to hog the limelight and it would be great to hear an achacha lover defend them.

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 05:33:09 AM »
I would hate to hog the limelight and it would be great to hear an achacha lover defend them.
First it’s giant seedless lychee, now it’s giant seedless mangosteen? How am I supposed to get all this in Cali lol

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 08:09:28 AM »
I am still waiting for the seedless macadamia.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2021, 08:44:11 AM »
Purple mangosteen is delicious, refreshing, and unique. Great texture too. Can't imagine anyone not liking a good representative of this fruit, although sure some do not.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2021, 10:12:14 AM »
As always Mike...great info.  What is best?  There are of course exceptions...but most garcinias in my hand ready to eat are the best!  And by the way.  it is just mangosteen folks.  The "purple" at the beginning is completely unnecessary.  There is only one true "mangosteen", and everybody with at least double digit IQ knows it is purple.   All other "mangosteens" are just pretenders with names due to lack of imagination.  Now where are those orange oranges?!  ;D 

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2021, 11:22:32 AM »
I like "purple mangosteen," orange oranges are good too, but not as nice.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2021, 11:51:29 AM »
Found this great video on youtube, great to see this guy planting thousands of achachas, as i feel this fruit has more potential.

https://youtu.be/3dkd04sMQnA

,William

William, thanks for posting the video! I love these pioneering spirits that are willing to take a risk with new crops! Without testing new varieties of fruit we would still only be growing what we know and that everyone around us is already growing.

This guy made a huge investment and I hope it pays off for him and his family. I know next to nothing regarding Garcinias and it’s relatives and MikeT, Oscar, Adam and several others have a great wealth of information they can share.

I especially hold to high esteem what Mike has had to say and perhaps that farmer in the video would be willing to risk using some of his Achachairu seedlings as a rootstock and top work just a few trees of the Genus/species that Mike has recommended in order to find out for himself what grows best, fruits the best, tastes the best and is most easily brought to market.

This of course assumes that the different fruits can be grafted into Achachairu but I know at least that Lucs Mexican mangosteen can be grafted onto Achachairu.

What an awesome venture that farmer is going into and I wish him success. If he is able to top work several trees with the different varieties that Mike mentioned, he could eventually use those top worked trees as a scion source to top work the rest of his Achachairu if he decides that Mike’s recommendations are better.

I for one, have never tasted an Achachairu and I’m dying to taste this fruit! I’ve seen all the Australian commercials for this fruit and they are quite entertaining but the Achachairu is relatively slow growing for me and it will be many years before I get fruit off my tree and hopefully this farmer will be successful in his endeavors and can reward the US rare fruit growers with a taste of this currently exotic fruit.

I’ve read that the Achachairu is relatively sour with some sweetness and I bet the juice will make a refreshing lemonade like drink. I’m hoping it will be sweeter but from reading threads on this forum, the varieties that Mike mentioned are sweeter.

Thanks to MikeT for keeping it real!

Simon

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2021, 11:58:01 AM »

So if you could only plant 1 garcinia in the ground would it be the Ecuadorian macrophylla? I heard purple mangosteen was still better than lucs and achacha. Has anyone grafted purple to lucs to see if it helped with hardiness?
Or should I just plant another lychee?...

Maybe a mangosteen x acahcha could be possible, however i really doubt that the mangosteen scion would survive anything below 5-11 celsius. Besides young mangosteens cant take nothin but partial sun for some years

,William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2021, 04:40:15 PM »
Don't get me wrong I applaud the pioneering spirit in tropical fruit growing and don't want to be the 'sand in anyone's Vaseline' but I am not so sure achacha can be a star. Success in bring a new fruit to the public isn't easy. BTW mangosteens routinely handle morning minimums to 3c or 4c so long as it warms during the day and mins are persistently at this level. I checked the lowest winter temps of orchards growing mangosteens in my area last winter in the Tully/Innisfail stretch and a few spots dipped below 5c. My place had 7c and durians as well as mangosteens of course show no ill effects at 7c.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2021, 08:23:08 PM »
Mike, thanks for the stirring the pot. You may not be the sand in my vaseline but the information you have shared will cause my wallet to be feeling raw in the future.  I will now need to hunt down some of these more desirable garcinias.

Are there any named varieties of achacha roaming around down there? Of the few sources I have sampled, they all seem to taste similar and I don't think I could tell them apart in a blind taste test. I had heard from a fellow forum member about a variety called selecto in Bolivia. It seems that this variety is being grown and sold commercially in Australia based on the video I have linked below. Have you sampled this and, if so, is it significantly better than the common fair?

The video is in spanish but use CC and go to settings to translate to the language of choice.

https://youtu.be/C0F6Kz_FPrE

Frustration with my 4 Luc trees being female makes me wonder if I am in for the same treatment with my achacha trees.  One tree I have in the ground, which has yet to flower, is about 10 years old. I planted it in a windy spot, which has slowed down its growth but it is 10ft tall now.  Have you encountered achacha trees that flower but never fruit or do not fruit for an extended amount of time?
Brandon

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2021, 12:33:05 PM »
Mike, thanks for the stirring the pot. You may not be the sand in my vaseline but the information you have shared will cause my wallet to be feeling raw in the future.  I will now need to hunt down some of these more desirable garcinias.

Are there any named varieties of achacha roaming around down there? Of the few sources I have sampled, they all seem to taste similar and I don't think I could tell them apart in a blind taste test. I had heard from a fellow forum member about a variety called selecto in Bolivia. It seems that this variety is being grown and sold commercially in Australia based on the video I have linked below. Have you sampled this and, if so, is it significantly better than the common fair?

The video is in spanish but use CC and go to settings to translate to the language of choice.

https://youtu.be/C0F6Kz_FPrE

Frustration with my 4 Luc trees being female makes me wonder if I am in for the same treatment with my achacha trees.  One tree I have in the ground, which has yet to flower, is about 10 years old. I planted it in a windy spot, which has slowed down its growth but it is 10ft tall now.  Have you encountered achacha trees that flower but never fruit or do not fruit for an extended amount of time?

Hopefully im not in the same treatment as you brandon, i have 4 achchas so hopefully at least one can set fruit, fingers crossed.

,William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk