Author Topic: Best way to deal with Spiders spreading in my trees!  (Read 1099 times)

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
Best way to deal with Spiders spreading in my trees!
« on: February 25, 2021, 01:01:55 PM »
A couple weeks ago i took a walk thru my garden at night with a flashlight and was surprised with i found! Huge infestations of spider webs and even saw some spiders on my 12 ft jabo and in my biggest lychee. It was quite a find cause u wouldnt notice them in the daytime. I was wondering which would be the best way to handle this cause ive taken many back and they just come back. Appreciate any help!

,William

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to deal with Spiders spreading in my trees!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 01:16:33 PM »
Many spiders spin webs at night, and tear them down before morning. Seems they like to conceal their presence during the day. Pretty strategic if you think about it.

As spring approaches, more spiders are coming out. Noticing the same thing here.

My recommendation: do nothing and like it. Not a problem. Eat lots of mosquitoes. Don't think they will take a significant toll on pollinators if that is what you are concerned about.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 01:37:21 PM »
You need one of these...

sclateria

• Mato Grosso, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 03:14:47 PM »
I'm always happy to see spiders on our trees. They certainly do more good than harm and play an important role in balancing insect populations. Some of the colonial / social spiders found in the tropics might blanket significant parts of a tree, but I don't if there have been any studies on whether they have any negative effects on the trees.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 06:10:50 PM »
Yes, spiders are the good guys! And cute, to boot!

Cheers,
Carolyn

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 07:06:38 PM »
Might be a member of the genus Eriophora rather than the pictured diurnal jumping spider. They catch fruit sucking moths in my yard. Management options include not walking in the garden at night.

carolstropicals

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 09:43:01 AM »
I don't know if this would help, but trying is best.
For ants we use dry molasses.  We try to spread it over the ground once a year.
If I see sugar ants, I treat with some liquid molasses.
Don't know why, but ants hate this stuff.

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 03:06:41 PM »
I'm always happy to see spiders on our trees. They certainly do more good than harm and play an important role in balancing insect populations. Some of the colonial / social spiders found in the tropics might blanket significant parts of a tree, but I don't if there have been any studies on whether they have any negative effects on the trees.

My problem with spiders dosent have to do with pollinators, its more cause ive noticed that when they make webs on leaves on some of my trees cause deformity and damage new groth on my : Rollinia, Macadamias, and Lychee. Thats the reason i target them with a flashlight at night and rip em off, wondered if there was something more efficient and safe for the plants aswell.

Salutes, William

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 05:20:23 AM »
Large spiders can be very handy for practical jokes as well. Big spider numbers probably mean big insect numbers to support them.

sclateria

• Mato Grosso, Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 10:07:00 AM »

My problem with spiders dosent have to do with pollinators, its more cause ive noticed that when they make webs on leaves on some of my trees cause deformity and damage new groth on my : Rollinia, Macadamias, and Lychee. Thats the reason i target them with a flashlight at night and rip em off, wondered if there was something more efficient and safe for the plants aswell.

Salutes, William

Fair enough. I still doubt that they'll have much impact on the trees in the long run, and I think that trying to fight off spiders in your trees in the tropics is likely to be a lost cause. After all, if the trees can't push through spider webs on the leaves, how will they handle more serious pests? I'd only be concerned if it were some of the colonial spiders species that essentially wrap a significant portion of the canopy.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 03:06:01 AM »
I get Nephila maculata hanging in my yard and they really seem to scare people and they just want them gone. The web can knock your hat off and they can take down big prey. I just leave them.