Author Topic: Top ten tree mango list  (Read 9027 times)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Top ten tree mango list
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2021, 05:15:30 PM »
Can I have 11?
As long as you're not suffering from Mango Obsession syndrome. Of course you can have  11  :)

Dont we all have this mango obsession? Hence why we are here talking about mangos. lol :P
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2021, 05:20:07 PM »

I inherited some mature mango trees when we bought our current house in 2016.  I finally figured out one was a Kent, the other a NDM, and the third I have no idea yet because we had to rehab it and it looks to have a couple of fruits this year.  The Kent, I am guessing, fell over during a hurricane and the prior owner never righted the tree upright.

My Kent is by far an incredible producer; here's a picture from last year after I harvested most of the fruit.  It tastes great, but, yeah, probably not as complex and sweet as some of these newer varieties I have not tried yet.  The Kents are super juicy, peachy, meaty mangoes--nothing like a gross supermarket mango.  Great for giving away to people or shipping off to your friends/family in the colder climate.  Yes, it can BBS on the outside of the fruit and you don't want to let it get too ripe on the tree, but that's not a big deal since you can pick when almost ripe and let them ripen in your house.  I don't spray my trees with fungicide, live practically in the Everglades, and the area under the mango trees is frequently flooded during the summertime.

Kent is very nice mango, juicy, refreshing, big in size, ate many of those, really like that you can eat a mango in September.  There was a lady in CS and everyone would want her mangos, one day she chopped the tree down. Nice tree that was always loaded year after year, what a waste.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2021, 05:35:15 PM »
Can I have 11?
As long as you're not suffering from Mango Obsession syndrome. Of course you can have  11  :)
You my friend recognize your obsession so that is a healthy obsession. It's when you're in total denial of the obsession that it becomes problematic.

Dont we all have this mango obsession? Hence why we are here talking about mangos. lol :P
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2021, 05:42:29 PM »
Can I have 11?
You my friend recognize your obsession so that is a healthy obsession. It's when you're in total denial of the obsession that it becomes problematic.

Indeed, first step recognize the mango obsession, second step; get more mango trees - even if you dont have the space for it.  ;D

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2021, 05:49:56 PM »
Can I have 11?

Indeed, first step recognize the mango obsession, second step; get more mango trees - even if you dont have the space for it.  ;D
That is so very true

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2021, 02:36:29 AM »
OK you are squeezing it out of me. Location South Miami/Kendall.
#1 most productive by a factor of 5 is Sweet Tart
#2 is Pickering
Remember
We’re talking production
#’s 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 in no order
Haden
Hatcher
Glenn
Juicy peach
Spirit of 76
Cotton Candy/Candy Cotton
9 and 10
Lemon Zest
Pineapple Pleasure
Contact me and come down and see for yourself if you so desire.
Lastly one can never forget the stupendous potential of Valencia Pride and Keitt and Rosigold.
My first tree was a Haden in the mid 80’s and I hated the turpentine flavor which I used to call gasoline flavored. Never ate it again. Never ate a mango again till I tasted Glenn in the early 90’s. This variety was shockingly edible and good. I can appreciate a spicy mango like Dwarf Hawaiians but intensely dislike Maha. So this is how my tastes run.
My favorite ones now are and yes in order
Pineapple Pleasure
Sugar Loaf
Lemon Zest/Lemon Meringue
Sweet Tart
Kathy
Glenn
This is some of what I have
Lemon Z 52 trees
Sweet T 44
Orange sherbet 26
Cotton Candy 26
Lemon M 14
Pineapple P 12
Sugar Loaf 13
M-4 8
Orange E 5
Pickering 2
Buttercream 6
Fruit punch 5
Peach Cobbler 4
Coconut C 4
Pina Colada 4
Keitt 4
Etc etc etc
What varieties I’m most disappointed in this season as far as production
LM
PC
Phoenix
Venus
Coconut Cream
Harvest Moon
Kathy but it’s in a dark space
Fruit punch
But all my trees had extensive pruning last year so it may not be their fault for not producing.
Sweet Tart is a dream in every way. I hope it’s relative Kathy will be as great because it has a not describable taste that is sooo delicious and I’m planting about 12 more.

Sweet Tart insanity in the photo

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 11:28:24 AM by weiss613 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2021, 05:45:48 AM »
#2 is Pickering
Remember
We’re talking production
Haden
Hatcher
Glenn
Juicy peach
Spirit of 76
9 and 10
Lemon Zest
Pineapple Pleasure
Lastly one can never forget the stupendous potential of Valencia Pride and Keitt and Rosigold.
My first tree was a Haden in the mid 80’s and I hated the turpentine flavor which I used to call gasoline flavored. Never ate it again. Never ate a mango again till I tasted Glenn in the early 90’s. This variety was shockingly edible and good. I can appreciate a spicy mango like Dwarf Hawaiians but intensely dislike Maha. So this is how my tastes run.
Pineapple Pleasire
Sugar Loaf
Lemon Zest/Lemon Merigue
Sweet Tart
Kathy
Glenn
Lemon Z 52 trees
Sweet T 44
Orange sherbet 26
Cotton Candy 26
Lemon M 14
Pineapple P 12
Sugar Loaf 13
M-4 8
Orange E 5
Pickering 2
Buttercream 6
Fruit punch 5
Peach Cobbler 4
Coconut C 4
Pina Colada 4
Keitt 4
Etc etc etc
LM
PC
Phoenix
Venus
Coconut Cream
Harvest Moon
Fruit punch
But all my trees had extensive pruning last year so it may not be their fault for not producing.
Sweet Tart is a dream in every way. I hope it’s relative Kathy will be as great because it has a not describable taste that is sooo delicious and I’m planting about 12 more.

Thank you! I find that information to be very useful.
I was in complete denial but now I do realize I have mango Obsession syndrome. Last season I purchased and gave away two dwarf Hawaiians a 15-gallon Duncan and 1 rose gold and an oriental type that I can't even pronounce or spell its name. This season I have 3 custom grafted trees ordered I will keep one and give the other two to friends in South Florida I have tried to convince my neighbor to sell me her property not because I need extra rooms but I need more space to plant mango trees. If I was younger and had time on my side. I would sell out and buy a bigger piece of property to start over. I am very happy where I am living. I have a beautiful property with a very nice view. I just wish I could go on Google Earth and stretch my property to fit in a few more mango trees :)  ;)  :D

Must buy more mangoes
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 06:29:53 AM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2021, 07:35:24 AM »
#2 is Pickering
Remember
We’re talking production
Haden
Hatcher
Glenn
Juicy peach
Spirit of 76
9 and 10
Lemon Zest
Pineapple Pleasure
Pineapple Pleasire
Sugar Loaf
Lemon Zest/Lemon Merigue
Sweet Tart
Kathy
Glenn
Lemon Z 52 trees
Sweet T 44
Orange sherbet 26
Cotton Candy 26
Lemon M 14
Pineapple P 12
Sugar Loaf 13
M-4 8
Orange E 5
Pickering 2
Buttercream 6
Fruit punch 5
Peach Cobbler 4
Coconut C 4
Pina Colada 4
Keitt 4
Etc etc etc
LM
PC
Phoenix
Venus
Coconut Cream
Harvest Moon
Fruit punch

From a backyard Growers standpoint what is the minimum size you feel that a vigorous sweet tart can be kept. I don't necessarily mind A reduced crop. Fore it is just me and my wife. I'm not trying to feed Sherman's Army. Do you do a hard pruning every other year and does that cause it to not bear any fruit at all or just a reduced crop. How much can a sweet tart branches grow in one season 5 or 6 ft? I remember reading an old Cookie Monster thread that he stated once the tree gets the size that you want it. If it grows five or six feet in one season you just cut it back that much to maintain the size that you want. I'm assuming he is thinking of more of a commercial size of 12 Iby12 or 15 x 15
 How small have you been able to keep one and still get a acceptable crop for you and your significant other?

Sweet tart is being a sweetheart this year :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:49:52 AM by bovine421 »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2021, 08:21:57 AM »

My first tree was a Haden in the mid 80’s and I hated the turpentine flavor which I used to call gasoline flavored. Never ate it again. Never ate a mango again till I tasted Glenn in the early 90’s. This variety was shockingly edible and good.

This reminded me in the 90s I had a Jamaican lady that lived next door.
She planted every seed from every fruit she ate for 15 years. After she ran out of
room in her yard she bought the lot behind her and kept on going.
One day she had picked some mangos from one of her trees and she offered me
some. It was the most awful fibrous worst mango ever. It had very little flesh and
I assumed all mangos were like this. I didn't eat mangos for 20 years after that.
She moved up North and eventually died in her 90s. My brother still goes back
to that lot and picks mangos every year. She has some wonderful seedling mangos
as well as the stinker I ate that day. I have only realized what I was missing the
past 10 years and I feel like I have to make up for the 20 lost years.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2021, 08:32:57 AM »

I have tried to convince my neighbor to sell me her property not because I need extra rooms but I need more space to plant mango trees. If I was younger and had time on my side. I would sell out and buy a bigger piece of property to start over. I am very happy where I am living. I have a beautiful property with a very nice view. I just wish I could go on Google Earth and stretch my property to fit in a few more mango trees :)  ;)  :D

I have a Nature Park close to me that I have been slowly turning into a fruit park.
The park is next to a river and very heavy canopy. Better cold tolerance then my yard.
I have planted seedling mangos and loquats in sunny areas along with muntingia, In the
shaded areas I planted some garcinias. I also save up avocado seeds and plant them
throughout. One day I planted some suriname cherry seeds and several mulberry starters.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:38:41 AM by achetadomestica »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2021, 09:45:55 AM »

My first tree was a Haden in the mid 80’s and I hated the turpentine flavor which I used to call gasoline flavored. Never ate it again. Never ate a mango again till I tasted Glenn in the early 90’s. This variety was shockingly edible and good.

This reminded me in the 90s I had a Jamaican lady that lived next door.
She planted every seed from every fruit she ate for 15 years. After she ran out of
room in her yard she bought the lot behind her and kept on going.
One day she had picked some mangos from one of her trees and she offered me
some. It was the most awful fibrous worst mango ever. It had very little flesh and
I assumed all mangos were like this. I didn't eat mangos for 20 years after that.
She moved up North and eventually died in her 90s. My brother still goes back
to that lot and picks mangos every year. She has some wonderful seedling mangos
as well as the stinker I ate that day. I have only realized what I was missing the
past 10 years and I feel like I have to make up for the 20 lost years.
That Rings a very familiar note to me
My eighty-year-old mother-in-law planted that avocado tree + years ago. Hopefully it will have halfway decent fruit. She was the oldest child of her family.She had to work  the banana plantation so her brothers and sisters could go to school. Every day she feels the need to touch the Earth.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:49:15 AM by bovine421 »

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2021, 11:52:49 AM »
response to
From a backyard Growers standpoint what is the minimum size you feel that a vigorous sweet tart can be kept. I don't necessarily mind A reduced crop. Fore it is just me and my wife. I'm not trying to feed Sherman's Army. Do you do a hard pruning every other year and does that cause it to not bear any fruit at all or just a reduced crop. How much can a sweet tart branches grow in one season 5 or 6 ft? I remember reading an old Cookie Monster thread that he stated once the tree gets the size that you want it. If it grows five or six feet in one season you just cut it back that much to maintain the size that you want. I'm assuming he is thinking of more of a commercial size of 12 Iby12 or 15 x 15
 How small have you been able to keep one and still get a acceptable crop for you and your significant other?

I don't sell my fruit so I have zero worries or disappointments when it comes to yield. This year I can say that only about 15-20% of the surface area of all my trees flowered and is holding fruit. I live in a nice residential area with all kinds of rules from the homeowner's assoc so my trees have to be neat and clean looking in my lawn so every year I cut them back to 6-12 feet and trim around them. I might let them grow out for the 22 season????? But definitely yes hard pruning and nitrogen can mess up productivity.
In Israel and India they grow 1000 mango trees/acre and keep them at 6'
But I love the very hard work during the hottest part of the summer when they are ready to be pruned and shaped as I feel this work is important for my 71 y/o health and longevity.
As far as Sweet Tart size and productivity I'll take video and put it here so you know exactly and can judge for yourself what is possible.

https://youtu.be/E3sUqNaeB4U

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 12:01:37 PM by weiss613 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2021, 02:47:48 PM »
response to

I don't sell my fruit so I have zero worries or disappointments when it comes to yield. This year I can say that only about 15-20% of the surface area of all my trees flowered and is holding fruit. I live in a nice residential area with all kinds of rules from the homeowner's assoc so my trees have to be neat and clean looking in my lawn so every year I cut them back to 6-12 feet and trim around them. I might let them grow out for the 22 season????? But definitely yes hard pruning and nitrogen can mess up productivity.
In Israel and India they grow 1000 mango trees/acre and keep them at 6'
But I love the very hard work during the hottest part of the summer when they are ready to be pruned and shaped as I feel this work is important for my 71 y/o health and longevity.
As far as Sweet Tart size and productivity I'll take video and put it here so you know exactly and can judge for yourself what is possible.

https://youtu.be/E3sUqNaeB4U

What's up doc! Do you think your neighbors would mind if I spent the summer parked next to your curb.lol

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 02:54:28 PM by bovine421 »

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2021, 02:55:48 PM »
Who told you I’m a doctor? Guess who my patients are!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2021, 03:03:07 PM »
Who told you I’m a doctor? Guess who my patients are!
Did not know that I am a big fan of Bugs Bunny so can I stay ?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 03:05:41 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2021, 03:25:55 PM »
Just to show everyone that I do not have MOS I bought this Dwarf Tropical Red guava

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 03:27:45 PM by bovine421 »

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2021, 03:37:37 PM »
Kent- this summer i'll have to bring a mango to a knowledgable mango nut to see if my tree is indeed Kent.
It fits the bill for monster if left untamed, anthracnose constant battle, orange flesh with fiber but 10x sweeter then any Kent from Publix & Walmart.

I do not recommend Kent if it is.  I love it though, and wish i knew similar taste disease resistant tree. 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2021, 04:45:23 PM »
Speaking of a mango obsession, I just read last night that although the Queen (of England, of course) is very picky about what she eats and generally will eat only what's organic and in season, preferably grown or raised on one of her estates, she does have a mango obsession and insists that mangos are always available to her.  Say what you want about her, that old girl knows good food (which has gotten her to 94 years of age)!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 06:34:00 PM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2021, 06:57:55 PM »
Speaking of a mango obsession, I just read last night that although the Queen (of England, of course) is very picky about what she eats and generally will eat only what's organic and in season, preferably grown or raised on one of her estates, she does have a mango obsession and insists that mangos are always available to her.  Say what you want about her, that old girl knows good food (which has gotten her to 94 years of age)!  ;D ;D
The Queen isn't the only one who has an obsession with mangoes
If you read the very fine writing on the Ancient Sumerian tablets the Anunnaki we're not here only for our gold. They were mostly interested in our mangoes. Our ancient ancestors not only had to dig gold they also picked mangoes. That came straight from George Noory on Coast to Coast AM LOL

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:09:05 PM by bovine421 »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2021, 06:34:20 PM »
Kinda ticked at my Edgar, in 2019 It produced maybe 5 fruit, after harvest, I gave it a hard prune, sine the tree was getting way to big, so understandably I did not expect anything in 2020, and I was right. but this season, I expected a lot of flowering,  which I got.  but all I see are maybe 8 pea sized fruit.

on the other hand, the cotton candy, which is a younger tree, is loaded with fruit,  first time flowering.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2021, 09:09:46 PM »
Yes about Cotton Candy. I have 26 that are in the ground from 3-5 years. Just about every one of them has a satisfying crop. Not one upon the other like Sweet Tart but really every Cotton Candy has fruit. This is in Miami. Cotton Candy is a reliable tree.

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2021, 02:19:38 PM »
Edgar is very precocious and productive and this will help limit the size of the tree. I actually had to let new higher scaffold branches grow after the fruit was gone since they were so weighted down with fruit last year they were bent downwards. I had to cut them off and let it regrow some more vertically oriented  branches.  Setting fruit on the new upper scaffolds now. Looks like it will be an easily managed tree.

@TonyinCC, how far off the ground are you talking about (both the first set of scaffolds and the second)?

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »
Not sure if all of these constitute a "small" tree, but Truly Tropical put together a list of 10: https://youtu.be/g3zv2E6glO8

For those who don't want to watch the entire video, see below

Duncan
Keitt
Turpentine
Rosa
Dwarf Hawaiian
Sweet Tart
K3/Kathy
Pickering
Honey Kiss
Venus

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2021, 06:14:58 AM »
Edgar is very precocious and productive and this will help limit the size of the tree. I actually had to let new higher scaffold branches grow after the fruit was gone since they were so weighted down with fruit last year they were bent downwards. I had to cut them off and let it regrow some more vertically oriented  branches.  Setting fruit on the new upper scaffolds now. Looks like it will be an easily managed tree.

@TonyinCC, how far off the ground are you talking about (both the first set of scaffolds and the second)?

Here is a pic from yesterday. The lowest branch had to come completely off and is almost healed over. You can see the lowest current scaffold is close to horizontal coming off the trunk. I will probably remove it later this year. The tree will hold a lot of fruit early on but the branches just can't handle it. I would advise thinning fruit to keep branches from bending TOO much in the early years. For comparison, Edgar had a structure like the Cotton Candy tree in the background before last year's crop, Edgar must have had about 50 fruit.  Cotton Candy set its first crop last year of 13 fruit and looks like it would hold 50 this year but I will thin that one this year if nature doesn't.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 08:07:25 AM by TonyinCC »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2021, 07:44:24 AM »
Not sure if all of these constitute a "small" tree, but Truly Tropical put together a list of 10: https://youtu.be/g3zv2E6glO8

For those who don't want to watch the entire video, see below

Duncan
Keitt
Turpentine
Rosa
Dwarf Hawaiian
Sweet Tart
K3/Kathy
Pickering
Honey Kiss
Venus

Oye...Duncan, Keitt, Turpentine and Sweet Tart are not small trees.
- Rob