Author Topic: Is the Thai maroon and red Malaysian guava the same thing?  (Read 865 times)

rdm

• oahu/hawaii
    • View Profile
Iv been looking for a nice red guava tree and am currently waiting on my selected nursery to bring the Malaysian red back into stock, but in the mean time while researching iv seen mentions of two red guava plants, people occ mention they are different from each other but while looking into it, multiple places had seemingly contradicting info, iv seen mentions that the two are synonymous and just a different name for the same plant, others talk about each plant but both use the same pictures to represent that specific cultivar, while others list the two on the same list as different.  So I’m finding claims all over the board all across the internet.

Does anyone know about these two plants? Are they the same? Are they different? And if they are different, how are they different.  I’m basically trying to decide if I should just wait and get the Malaysian red or if its worth it to instead source the Thai maroon

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Thai maroon and red Malaysian guava the same thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 04:49:06 AM »
If not the same very close to it and they share some important characteristics. When I had a lovely looking productive tree some years ago I recall the disappointment when trying the fruit. I took to it with an axe and it made great mulch. Its hard to think of a single word to capture the intricacies of its taste profile so I will lean to a commonly used Australian descriptive term.......shithouse. Unless you want this variety for ornamental purposes it doesn't make the grade.

rdm

• oahu/hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 05:21:16 AM »
If not the same very close to it and they share some important characteristics. When I had a lovely looking productive tree some years ago I recall the disappointment when trying the fruit. I took to it with an axe and it made great mulch. Its hard to think of a single word to capture the intricacies of its taste profile so I will lean to a commonly used Australian descriptive term.......shithouse. Unless you want this variety for ornamental purposes it doesn't make the grade.

yes, im definitely looking into it for its ornamental value to have next to my other trees, iv always loved guava but till about a month ago i bought one tree...now i have 5 different cultivars. so im covered for eating fruit in the near future, so if the fruits turn out not good i wont be too let down, and iv seen the other forum members talking about it in another thread so i kinda knew it wouldn't compare to the more common eating cultivars.

im mainly looking to get the most "red/maroon"  tree i can since its mostly gonna be decorative, im just not sure which one that would be if they even differ. i was also unsure how red they really are, im sure the pics iv been looking at were..."enhanced" like most plant advertisement pics, some seem to show them like actually maroon while others just look slightly darker green then normal. i also live in Hawaii so we don't have winter or really that big of a temp drop and iv seen mentions that the red has some kind of connection to the cold or it makes it more red. idk   

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 05:24:23 AM »
Pix are routinely enhanced yes and in full sun the fruit and foliage gets more maroon than green.