Author Topic: Strawberry Guava Aborted flowers  (Read 595 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Strawberry Guava Aborted flowers
« on: August 30, 2021, 09:06:37 AM »
So my oldest and biggest tree has never set a fruit.  It’s at least 12 years old and sets flowers but petals brown and flowers degrade before opening.  This seed was from Hawaii. It’s in a pot is busted through and earthed so I wonder if the restriction is the cause. Other tiny trees set fruit without issue.

Anyone else see this?

Interesting given it’s invasive status in Hawaii. 

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Strawberry Guava Aborted flowers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 10:51:10 AM »
Mine flowers like crazy and produces fruit on its own despite being solo, with limited pollinating insect access, and likely not a single other cattley guava in the state. 

I'm not sure if these can be dioecious, that's the only explanation I can think of if you have such an old tree that flowers but produces no fruit.  Perhaps its a male?  I'm purely speculating here, somebody else will have more expertise.

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 03:09:48 PM »
I have two different plants grown in pots and both set fruit the first time blooming and they are probably only 1-2 years old. I think you must have one with bad genetics

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 07:19:22 AM »
Thanks guys. Maybe bad genes. When flower bud begins to open, petals appear white. But before opening they essentially brown and rot, fall apart.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk