Author Topic: Cecropia Peltata Growth Rate  (Read 1459 times)

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
Cecropia Peltata Growth Rate
« on: October 12, 2021, 09:10:26 PM »
I've always heard these guys grow fast but I wasn't expecting this lol Less than 5 months difference grown in New Jersey.

May '21

<br /><br />

Oct '21

<br /><br />

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Cecropia Peltata Growth Rate
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 09:20:44 AM »
Sure they’re fast.  In the wild they are pioneer species like balsa, papaya, and others that initially dominate disturbed areas in the forest or other openings.
Peter

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 11:14:12 AM »
Borderline invasive species in some areas, Although you shouldn't have to worry about that with the NJ cold!

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 05:23:34 PM »
I've heard mixed things about this fruit's palatability. Has anyone tasted it?

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 02:12:56 AM »

Yeah, ours is fruiting. Tastes like a super watered down fig...like sugar water with not too much sugar and a somewhat herbal aftertaste.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 03:03:00 AM »

Yeah, ours is fruiting. Tastes like a super watered down fig...like sugar water with not too much sugar and a somewhat herbal aftertaste.

I saw a YouTube video of a tour of a South Florida fruit collector's property. Cecropia was one of the many fruits tried by the people in the video. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Perhaps there is some flavor variation from tree to tree. Or, just variation in people's palates. That is why, when I am considering getting a new fruit plant, I either try some of the fruit or peruse reviews of those who have tried it.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 09:25:48 AM »

I saw a YouTube video of a tour of a South Florida fruit collector's property. Cecropia was one of the many fruits tried by the people in the video. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Perhaps there is some flavor variation from tree to tree. Or, just variation in people's palates. That is why, when I am considering getting a new fruit plant, I either try some of the fruit or peruse reviews of those who have tried it.

I doubt there is much variation in cecropia fruit, I have tried fruit from 2 trees now exact same taste. It's more of a texture as the taste is very faint, not unpleasant just leaves a lot to be desired. You would have to try it to know what I mean.

Awesome tree and fruit just wish the taste was on par.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 09:27:29 AM by Jabba The Hutt »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 09:40:50 AM »
Very sweet like honey, no acidity, medium juicy not dry or dripping juice. I might eat one or two but really just consider it a novelty. The trees usually propagated here in south Florida are layered clones and since this is a male or female dioecious species no one propagates any males, never even seen one here. The fruits we get from female trees are seedless. It would be best to never grow any males and prevent spread. These quickly grow too tall to harvest easily so most older trees have been chopped frequently. These are not trees for a small space. I've noticed that fruits are best here in very early summer when humidity is low and once we get into the rainy season the fruits tend to get overripe and ferment on the tree. Large leaves fall constantly and are very rot resistant, they pile up around the tree.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2021, 03:18:40 PM »
Thanks for the reviews Jabba and pineislander. It was not one I had planned on getting due to its size, an opinion the two you have reinforced. I wonder how Nick C in New Jersey is going to fare with his plants?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 11:40:17 PM »

I have not eaten a lot of them, but my thought was that it tasted like honeydew melon with the texture of a fig.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 08:08:18 PM »
<br /><br />

So here is cecropia established on a landslide surface along with other pioneer species on my farm in Costa Rica. The closer specimen is surrounded by some young balsa. There’s another cecropia behind and to the right. In short order they can reach a height of 40-50’ but there won’t be much spread.
I don’t think any nursery carries them. Occasionally somebody will ask me to propagate some so they can plant them for the sloths. Some here simply refer to cecropia as the sloth tree.
Peter

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 06:53:38 PM »
Thanks for the reviews Jabba and pineislander. It was not one I had planned on getting due to its size, an opinion the two you have reinforced. I wonder how Nick C in New Jersey is going to fare with his plants?

Only time will tell. Just moved them indoors for the season.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 11:12:43 PM »
From the sound of it, those Cecropias will be hitting your ceiling before the end of winter.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2024, 11:09:45 AM »
I grew this tree from seed probably around February of last year and dug it up at the end of the season to overwinter. Tree was likely around 6 ft mark. Anybody with experience growing cecropia know if this thing will likely flower this season ?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2024, 04:45:57 PM »
It very well could...I have seen trees smaller than that fruit, but they were rooted cuttings.
As for taste, it is a mid fruit, but looks very interesting.
Sweet but weird texture as it's very slimy.
I put a few in a bag and a few hours later they basically turned to water.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2024, 07:02:06 PM »
It very well could...I have seen trees smaller than that fruit, but they were rooted cuttings.
As for taste, it is a mid fruit, but looks very interesting.
Sweet but weird texture as it's very slimy.
I put a few in a bag and a few hours later they basically turned to water.

It’d be cool to even just see it flower. When I dug it up last year I chopped it in half so I’m thinking this thing will easily hit the over 10’ mark this season