Author Topic: WTB seashore mangosteen scions.  (Read 1045 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
WTB seashore mangosteen scions.
« on: February 07, 2022, 07:34:11 PM »
I am looking for male and female scions please. I have a seedling I would like to graft both male and female to. There is a high chance that this is my favorite fruit. Thanks!

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: WTB seashore mangosteen scions.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 08:16:41 PM »
The fruit I have tasted from the fruit and spice park were very sour. They were at various stages, some underripe and some close to overripe. I have never read a glowing taste report.  They are generally considered "good for cooking with fish" as they like to say. Was the fruit you ate sour and you just enjoy very sour fruits or did you get some exceptional fruits? Or maybe there are multiple species called "seashore mangosteen"...

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=10749.0
Brandon

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 09:45:05 PM »
The fruit I have tasted from the fruit and spice park were very sour. They were at various stages, some underripe and some close to overripe. I have never read a glowing taste report.  They are generally considered "good for cooking with fish" as they like to say. Was the fruit you ate sour and you just enjoy very sour fruits or did you get some exceptional fruits? Or maybe there are multiple species called "seashore mangosteen"...

https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=10749.0
I believe the fruit I had was g.hombroniana. I was able to try it from 2 different sources. Source 1 was very bad - no taste and sour. I believe it was under ripe. Source 2 was very good - sour green apple flavor. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I let them sit out a couple of days before trying them. I am not the biggest fan of sour fruits like lemons, but this was not bad at all and had some sweet in it. I should've taken a brix reading. The texture of the fruit was exactly like mangosteen...Tastewise, it is like comparing a peach to green apple flavoring. I'm sure there is variation in fruit quality out there. But again, if I recall correctly, the person who gave me those fruits got his tree from seeds from the fruit and spice park...I guess the main factor of determining if you like this fruit is sour tolerance.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 10:39:59 PM »
I like them too. I freeze them at the end of summer and enjoy them year long. They needs time to ripe. Other thing flesh closer to the peel is sweeter than closer to the seeds
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 11:28:32 PM »
I am looking for male and female scions please. I have a seedling I would like to graft both male and female to. There is a high chance that this is my favorite fruit. Thanks!
I think there are no male, female plants in seashore mangosteen. Correct me.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 10:42:52 AM »
If you like Hombroniana you should really try Madruno and Aichacharu.

I don’t think they are dioecious either.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 11:25:39 AM »
I've tried achacha and it was really good. I've been discouraged from growing it due to the slow growth. I haven't tasted madruno yet.
I would like to try madruno,lucs, and imbe - hopefully I can find someone to ship me fruit or stop by someone's place this summer.
To be honest, I really like the flavor of g.brasiliensis (lemon drop and superior lemon drop) and wouldn't mind just growing those, but again there is barely any edible flesh. They are probably the best bet growing up north.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 11:39:30 AM »
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=43598.msg426128#msg426128
seems like there are mixed opinions on whether it is dioecious or not?
Are there male/female trees, or do they just produce better with another tree nearby?

wonderfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 09:22:17 PM »
I always heard that garcinias from old continent need the pair. And from America just one.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 10:52:05 PM »
I've tried achacha and it was really good. I've been discouraged from growing it due to the slow growth. I haven't tasted madruno yet.
I would like to try madruno,lucs, and imbe - hopefully I can find someone to ship me fruit or stop by someone's place this summer.
To be honest, I really like the flavor of g.brasiliensis (lemon drop and superior lemon drop) and wouldn't mind just growing those, but again there is barely any edible flesh. They are probably the best bet growing up north.

My slowest growing tree is Madruno (same size with two leaves for two years) I only have one so don't take my word for it, second slowest is probably Luc. I grow Magonstana, Achacha, Luc, Madruno, Jorco, Lemon Drop, S.Lemon Drop, Livingstonie , Dulcis, Gerrardii, Gardneriana, and seashores. The fastest growers appear to be seashores, and Gardneriana, followed by Achacha, Lemon Drop, and, Livingstonie.  Livingstonie, seashore,  and achacha, in my experience have been better root stock than Lemon Drop.

I have had success grafting Prainiana on Livingstonie and on seashores.

Seashores, Prinaina and probably few others like dulcis are dioecious , you will occasionally hear from someone who has a strain that is self fruiting.

wonderfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 10:38:54 PM »

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

wonderfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 10:41:34 PM »
I am unable to distinguish between female and male flowers. The second picture by sure is female. Last year only that tree produced 60 fruits
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk