Author Topic: Thinning Mahachanok mango  (Read 919 times)

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
Thinning Mahachanok mango
« on: May 05, 2022, 07:23:53 AM »
My Maha 2nd bloom causes some concern due to heavy fruiting ;D (see pic). Should I thin out some?

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Re: Thinning Mahachanok mango
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 09:08:50 AM »
I would not thin. The heaviest bearing branches might bloom a few months later than usual the next time and you might get some off season fruit if you don't lose them to frost. I often get off season fruit from this variety. It seems.like the entire tree never blooms at the same time.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 10:26:27 PM »
My Maha 2nd bloom causes some concern due to heavy fruiting ;D (see pic). Should I thin out some?

Concern is due to heavy fruiting.... So the guess is your concerned about the weight of the fruit possibly causing llimbs to break.....

The problem is a poor picture of the limb base and angle of bend and how much it has bent to possibly answer your question to your particular tree.... The shot up in the air does nothing to show the base of the branch nor the angle from the trunk...

All I can hellp you with is to tell you that if you have high winds hitting the tree limbs, there will probably be a high chance of limb loss and 20+ mangos falling with the limb or limbs....

I had winds about 2 weeks ago and a large limb in good shape coming off the trunk at about a 135 degree from ground angle holding about 30 to 40 maha's fell off the tree separating cleanly at the trunk.... So if your limb is bending... consider reducing weight if winds are expected.... unless you like to roll the dice...

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 01:59:36 PM »
This is the picture of the tree that lost 30 to 40 Maha mangos as described above. It is now crying sap and healing slowly.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 02:15:34 PM »
another camera had some orig. pics. about 28 on ground visible and about 10 more under limb and in canopy of dropped limb.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 04:03:15 PM »
It hurts to watch those pics  :'( I have strong winds in my area too, what I do when the branches carry a lot of fruit is to use fork-shaped thick sticks to hold them up. Well placed and fastened, they are very efficient in preventing breakage.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 04:58:05 PM »
I have a few Maha with fruit almost to the ground. They flowered well and set well. I keep noticing far more fruit set to the east side of mangos this is what I have generally seen over the years. My hypothesis is that early morning easterly sun burns off moisture leading to decreased fungal problems on the panicles.

Those of you who mention high producing branches I ask if these are mainly on thE east side of the tree?

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 10:17:01 PM »
I have a few Maha with fruit almost to the ground. They flowered well and set well. I keep noticing far more fruit set to the east side of mangos this is what I have generally seen over the years. My hypothesis is that early morning easterly sun burns off moisture leading to decreased fungal problems on the panicles.

Those of you who mention high producing branches I ask if these are mainly on thE east side of the tree?
Unfortunately the West side had by far more mangos on the limb that fell off than anywhere else on the tree. The rest of the tree has mangos on all sides & top but much less sparse.

I need to go outside to look at some trees but most are multigrafted with a mix on sides so hard to say.

The only place in my yard that I noticed increased fruit set was near concrete and/or near my house so I am also guessing perhaps a drying effect on the blossoms to help slow fungus & increase fruit set or just getting extra minerals like calcium from the concrete. Have you any plantings close to house/concrete?

We primarily get a east wind and I am assuming yours is primarily a west wind and perhaps that plays a factor in decreasing fungus on sides of the tree?

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 07:44:49 AM »
My Maha also fruit the most on the East side, fewer on the south. West has no fruit since the lemon zest touching it. North has no fruit.
It certain like morning sun but not too hot in the afternoon (west). Certain no sun in the North and NW. One sure thing is no sun, no fruit (or very little of it).

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 07:48:00 AM »
This is the picture of the tree that lost 30 to 40 Maha mangos as described above. It is now crying sap and healing slowly.

Yikes, that's brutal. That tree has too many lower branches. My has only 2 main branches. I think 2-3 branches is ideal.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 09:22:20 AM »
I think the problem is the bad angles of the lower branches. Only one of the three remaining lower branches looks like it could support a lot of fruit.