Author Topic: Creating a canopies for my trees  (Read 733 times)

Filozophr

• Royal Palm Beach
    • View Profile
Creating a canopies for my trees
« on: July 10, 2022, 08:37:49 PM »
I’ve been experimenting pruning leaves off my annonas to for them to spring back and create new branch leads, what do you guys think about these 3? I’m not sure what canopies are the best for each annona, or any plant

Ilama, Lisa seedling and sugar apple(squamosa)

Feel free to pm me if you have any ANNONACEAE for sale‼️

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a canopies for my trees
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 01:42:55 AM »
Those are small.
Leave them alone.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 09:04:59 AM »
Those are small.
Leave them alone.

I agree,
Give them a little time to establish then prune them in winter when branches are defoliated

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 04:06:52 AM »
Focus on a central leader and lateral branching, this will reduce crowded and overlapping branches. To start with have a pine tree in mind but be aware it's not a pine tree so it will have it's own specific phylotaxis growth branch pattern. You can study it and find what is natural for each of them and then have that as your ultimate goal of the final mature tree. Have a picture in your mind how the tree will look liek 10-20 years from now, keep a long term view.

Make sure to not take more then 1/3 cause that will reduce the photosyn. significantly.
The one on the third photo looks ideal when judging it's structure according to my research and experiance into the phylotaxios of these annona sp.

peas!
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

JF Paso

• Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 07:23:29 AM »
Just to clarify, you're removing leaves, not pruning branches.  Is that correct?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 08:45:33 AM »
Lots of pruning info here. Note that in Australia they call Annona squamosa × Annona cherimola Custard Apple.

http://era.daf.qld.gov.au/id/eprint/1653/

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 02:23:18 PM »
It's really unfortunate that some Annona sp. are called "Custard apple" here, even Cherimoya and Sugarapple are called Custard apples. Not many people know the name Atemoya or Cherimoya for example.

I don't use the name Custard apple as it is very vauge and downgrades the fruit by comparing it to some strange human concoction. Annona sp. is more botanically correct in my opinion, the best is obvoisly to state them independently with latin name.

For example the A. diversifolia looks very similar to a A. squamosa, is it a Custard apple? YES, according to the definition but noone here calls them Custard apple's.
It is for sure an Annona sp. so I deduct that the logic for using Custard apple is flaud and bound to create confusion. Until better definition is given.
The meaning of CUSTARD APPLE is any of several chiefly tropical American soft-fleshed edible fruits.
There are also other soft-fleshed edible fruit that are definitly not in the Annonace family, If I called tomato a Custard apple people would be very confused indeed. But it would be correct by the definition.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/custard%20apple
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk