Author Topic: only one  (Read 2154 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: only one
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2022, 12:09:03 PM »
Sweet tart for me

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2022, 12:51:12 PM »
Hawaiian grown: florigon or pirie
Florida grown: Going with Pickering as well

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2022, 12:59:33 PM »
I was hoping more people would respond???
If you were going to be marooned on a deserted island and only have room for one mango tree
which one would it be?
Deserted island well that changes things. I guess Honest Abe tossed me off his boat. My first thought was Julie then I thought I want to build a treehouse so I want Giselle
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 02:27:30 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2022, 01:39:05 PM »
Peach Cobbler has been the best I had but I only had a handful of varieties.  Hoping that will change in the next few years, ahah.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »
You're right I didn't want to complicate matters
What is your #1 mango Johnb51?
Honestly I find it impossible to say any one variety is #1 for me.  So many great ones with different flavor profiles and so many I haven't tasted yet. And then you don't always find a perfectly grown and ripened mango each time--so much variability in one variety.  (Also, I'm not one of those South Floridians who has the money for gas to drive all over the place, and to pay $5-6/lb. for mangoes.  God bless those that can. :)  So I depend for the most part on the kindness of strangers-who-become-new-friends to taste new or more unusual varieties. ;)  You know who you are.  Thank you!)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 03:01:30 PM by johnb51 »
John

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2022, 04:17:29 PM »
I am about to bring the wrath of all the mango snobs down upon me, but I would go with...

Nam Doc Mai

One tree but fruit can be used at all stages of development for different purposes. Don't get me wrong, I like complex mangos. But if I can only have one, I'm going with the one that can be used green like an apple but still tastes good ripe. It is the Swiss Army Knife of mangos. Yes, there are better green mangos and mangoes that are better ripe, but if I only get one I am going with the one that does everything reasonably well.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but would you be able to tell more about your NDM.  I grow NDM#4 and NDM Mun.  They both seem pretty susceptible in my yard to powdery mildew, blooms and leaves, #4 especially. I mean it's July, and just flush leaf that is attacked again. I'll probably will add NDM sia tong some time in the future.  Hoping along the way one is more disease resistant.  But #4, is extremely sour green not one u would describe as green apple.  Mun is suppose to enjoyable green but I haven't had fruit yet.  But originally, there was a strain before #4 took over, that was eaten green also.  However, this strain seems to be out of favor now but I would definitely like to find.

I don't think the tree is anything special. It is a seedling that started life as a rootstock. It tastes slightly better than the NDM I have gotten other places, but not overwhelmingly different. If the fruit is half grown it will be sour, but if it is mature but still hard it will be sweet and crunchy. I don't think that is anything unique to my tree, though.

It is susceptible to powdery mildew, but that is not as big a concern in humid environments like Florida. Most of the PM only happens in the months of February and March when it is cool and dry. Anthracnose is a bigger problem here in my opinion because it happens when it is wet, so sprays to control it get washed off. NDM has been highly resistant to anthracnose in my experience. A couple sulfur sprays at the beginning of the season have effectively kept the tree free from disease.

If I were on a deserted island with no spray or equipment, I suppose I would take a Pickering since it would have the best chance of fruiting for me without intervention.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2022, 06:16:54 PM »
There are two finalists for this spot in my opinion.

Pickering is one of my latest blooming trees. This is good if frost is an issue at your location near or after normal mango bloom time. Not a good mango to pick mature green, best when they are about to drop and then wait a couple days before eating. Great productivity,tree health and  compact tree footprint, good sized fruit with a broadly appealing flavor. Fruit after harvest can last longer than most without developing off flavors. A fruit that is just below elite status when properly picked and ripened , but overall a favorite of many and one of the best choices for a single tree. Pickering's harvest window and tendency to drop when almost ripe is it's only shortcoming. Average season for this mango for me is about 6 weeks,but they start to drop as they get ripe so they won't hold on the tree.

Little Gem is my choice if you only have room for one. Also late blooming. Small tree, very precocious and productive, with a potential harvest window from June to mid September. Fruit accidentally knocked off ripen decently as early as mid June,but I start picking July 15th. A few fruit hold as late as mid September. Fruit hold well on tree and on the table for a long time without developing off flavors. Later season fruit can be very coconutty. It is our family favorite but is a rich Indian/West Indies flavor which not everyone  prefers. Depending on harvest time, it can be very similar to Dwarf Hawaiian, Carrie, Julie,and Graham. It is like having a cocktail tree of those varieties. I think it is better than any of those at its peak. Elite at its best late in the season, but consistently at least very good. If not thinned fruit size will vary from small if in clusters to over a pound. 620 grams was the heaviest I weighed.
I have never tasted 40-26 but at its peak it tastes like Alex's description of that mango.
Fruit and tree seem spotless and free of disease. If I could only have one tree it would even edge out Pickering for the spot because of its extended season and the fact that it is almost like having a natural cocktail tree of mangos in its family tree.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 06:22:05 PM by TonyinCC »