Author Topic: Beverly mango yay or nay?  (Read 609 times)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Beverly mango yay or nay?
« on: September 15, 2022, 02:09:47 PM »
Hello folks, is Beverly a good mango choice for a backyard?

The tree has some good traits, late season, compact and a reliable producer.  But is it easily affected by BBS and rotting?

Has Beverly done well in South Florida over the years?
Anyone with experience with this cultivar?

Thanks
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

TylerTheTrout

• Bonita Springs, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Beverly mango yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 02:55:38 PM »
Beverly is a good mango. Our tree is 3 years old and has given us good yields of fruit the past 2 summers. It's very disease resistant from what I can tell and if you read about it, most other's say the same. I recommend! It's an old FL (Zill) variety that definitely doesn't get enough love!!

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 05:06:50 PM »
Hello folks, is Beverly a good mango choice for a backyard?

The tree has some good traits, late season, compact and a reliable producer.  But is it easily affected by BBS and rotting?

Has Beverly done well in South Florida over the years?
Anyone with experience with this cultivar?

Thanks

I remember seeing one of Fruitful Trees YouTube videos with Alex from tropical acres talking about recommend late season cultivars. He indicated he is on the fence about Beverly with respect to disease resistance. I have a tree but it’s still has not fruited yet. Hopefully next year. 

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 06:34:26 PM »
Beverly is one I hadn’t had enough of until recently. Flavor wise it’s in Future’s Favorite Fifty. Nuff said v

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 08:31:28 PM »
I remember seeing one of Fruitful Trees YouTube videos with Alex from tropical acres talking about recommend late season cultivars. He indicated he is on the fence about Beverly with respect to disease resistance. I have a tree but it’s still has not fruited yet. Hopefully next year.
It might be going the way of Keitt.  I guess it could be a Top 50 mango.  Definitely not a Top 20 mango.
John