Author Topic: When to pick Noni?  (Read 894 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
When to pick Noni?
« on: December 13, 2022, 03:56:05 PM »
What do you look for when picking your Noni?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: When to pick Noni?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 08:40:25 PM »
When they get ripe/overripe, they smell funky bad. They get whiter and soft. Wonder if maybe they taste better underripe, if prepared properly.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 10:59:20 PM »
It has been a while since I collected wild ones in Nth QLD, Australia,   but I think you can pick them at full size before they would fall, and they will soften and ripen a bit later.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 05:36:04 AM »
Thanks! Oddly looking forward to this . . .

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 12:32:48 PM »
When they get ripe/overripe, they smell funky bad. They get whiter and soft. Wonder if maybe they taste better underripe, if prepared properly.

I was watching a video a while back and this lady was eating unripe noni and canistel slices with a spicy dip. Cant seem to find it now.

Anyway last time I picked the noni fruit I got the ones that were mature but still hard. Can't bring myself to collect the soft ones, but I think I did get a couple that were just turning.

Maybe I screwed up making the juice but it seems like something that shouldn't be consumed...

It really opens your lungs up if you take a big whiff of the vapors though.

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 07:34:18 PM »

I was watching a video a while back and this lady was eating unripe noni and canistel slices with a spicy dip. Cant seem to find it now.

Anyway last time I picked the noni fruit I got the ones that were mature but still hard. Can't bring myself to collect the soft ones, but I think I did get a couple that were just turning.

Maybe I screwed up making the juice but it seems like something that shouldn't be consumed...

It really opens your lungs up if you take a big whiff of the vapors though.

The fermented noni juice is where it's at.  Talk about a healthy shot, it really has a kick. I always feel amazing after drinking it.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 06:19:04 PM »
I picked the one in the pic at the start of thread. It got a little gray and definitely had a unique smell. I was waiting for it to turn white, but when manhandling it, noticed it was soft, and in some parts reeeally soft. So I thought, here goes, expecting to get sick then throw out the trees. Well, I really liked it. Could almost say love. We're not there yet in this relationship. But it was like a potent broccoli cheddar soup (one of my favorite soups). Very seedy, though. Scott said in a Truly Tropical video something along the lines of, if you don't think of it as a fruit, it's not bad. I'm not rich or cultured enough to know strong rank cheeses, but I do know broccoli cheddar soup. I wanted more.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 06:31:23 PM »
I’ve had it on “pizza” before. Was decent but not something I’d rave about

GrowInFlorida

• Aventura, FL - zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 08:06:55 PM »
I really love noni, it's one of my favorite trees in the garden as it also looks ornamental, attracts millions of bees, and I eat the raw fruit on an avocado toast and make fermented juice (the easiest fermentation ever). Before going vegan, I really loved the most stinky cheeses, especially French ones, and I guess the love of certain type of flavors made me prepared for this weird fruit. As they say, it's an acquired taste, so I acquired this taste way before trying noni, I generally love bold tastes and fermented foods. Whether you're ready for it or not it's worth trying either way in my opinion  :D
but if after trying you think raw fruit is too strong, try the fermented juice as the stank goes away completely, it starts smelling fruity and somewhat sweet after fermenting in full sun for several weeks. All you need is a glass jar with a tightly fitting lid, no need for any starter or microbe "food" like you would with kombucha or pickles (sugar and salt respectively), just stuff the jar with ripe fruit and keep in the sun. Eventually the fruit will "cry" and shrivel, and the juice will brown and sweeten.
Also, I noticed that raw noni seeds don't sprout easily, but the ones that underwent fermentation sprout very well.
I heard from Asian friends that noni leaves are good in curries, never tried them because they're a little tough, but I guess you can choose very young leaves.
As for the photo in the thread, it's a little underdeveloped, probably a young tree, and will ripen unevenly. The tree produces those at the very beginning of fruiting season, too. When the tree becomes more established, the fruit will be longer, larger and will ripen evenly. Don't pick the fruit if it still has green in it, it won't ripen evenly. When it turns completely white it's ready and will ripen in a day or two on the counter.
Yum.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 08:44:25 PM »
Thanks for the info, GrowInFlorida! Does the jar have to be sealed (as in canning), or does it just need a tight-fitting lid? Thanks!

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 09:11:04 PM »
Picking nonii depends on the taste desired.
IMO the best taste is archived when the whole fruit is ripe on the tree since it’s less bitter with more of the good flavour and the skin becomes softer.

The absolute best is to pick them up of the ground on the beach after a day or two in the sun on a rock, wow super good. If we pick them we sun dry then a bit and the flavour is better.
Dry season gives the best nonii but wet season have the abundance.

If you pick it when it’s green or greenish it will ripen to a dark colour and not taste good and juice yield will be lower.
Add it to your guac for a blue cheese flavoured guac.  ;D

I don’t like the juice so much prefer the fruit when proper ripe etc. it’s almost a bit like durian, you gotta get it at the right stage to avoid the stink or bad flavour.

There are also some varieties and different species, pink nonii, very spiky nonii etc.

CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

GrowInFlorida

• Aventura, FL - zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 09:20:39 PM »
Thanks for the info, GrowInFlorida! Does the jar have to be sealed (as in canning), or does it just need a tight-fitting lid? Thanks!
No need to seal the jar. You can open it multiple times, antifungal and antibacterial properties of noni are so potent that the juice doesn't get destroyed even if you drink from the jar in the middle of fermentation. I use a tall hermetic jar like this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-Latch-Jar-Glass-Storage-Jar-Half-Gallon/167621734
I just keep the jar on the ground in the garden, in full sun, until it's ready to be stored. I read that you can keep it without refrigeration for 2 years, but it becomes more acidic with long storage, a bit vinegary.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2022, 07:41:57 AM »
Thanks, GrowInFlorida, for the additional info, and cassowary for the picking tips!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk