Author Topic: New Banana Plant Grower here, give me your best advice!  (Read 387 times)

RandomWindowArt

• Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
New Banana Plant Grower here, give me your best advice!
« on: January 08, 2024, 09:26:51 AM »
Hello friends! I just got my first banana plant yesterday and want to know all the tips and tricks to get the best fruit from it. It is a Blue Java "Ice cream" banana plant, about 3-4 feet tall currently. I got it from Lukas Nursery in Oviedo. While there I was advised not to plant outside until mid-February to March, so its currently a guest in the tub lol. I will also preference that I don't even own indoor plants, so not sure how to keep plants happy indoors so advice there would also be appreciated. I've watched a lot of tutorials about caring for them, but since this is new for me looking to learn from others.

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
Re: New Banana Plant Grower here, give me your best advice!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 11:08:10 AM »
If you are going to keep it in a container and want a good yield use the largest container u can find. The roots get crazy after 1.5 year pot up from 3 gallon to 35 gallon.Here is a picture of the roots in a 35 gallon container after it set 57 bananas. Also crazy heavy feeder so compost old fruit veg scraps so you donít spend 50$ on fertilizer for 5$ of bananas.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 11:51:30 AM »
I'd recommend putting in the ground in a protected spot, if possible.  I'd wait, though until
our cold weather has passed.

Then once planted in the ground be sure that it gets plenty of water and also that it gets
fertilized regularly.  Bananas are such heavy feeders that you can't overfeed them!

I use 10-10-10 fertilizer about one a pound per stalk in the mat every six weeks, and even
while the plant is holding a rack of fruit.  Willam O. Lessard in hs book recommends using
 9-3-27 fertilizer, but I don't know where to find that. Maybe someone else on here knows.

Good luck!

Paul M.
==

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 11:55:53 AM »
I second the giant container suggestion.  I grew one in a 20gal container and when I took it out it was a solid cylinder I could not even free any dirt from to try to reclaim soil.  It was pretty trouble free aside from blowing over in the wind despite my best efforts to weigh it down. 

RandomWindowArt

• Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 12:07:57 PM »
I have a spot in the yard free of other vegetation and structures it will go once the cold has passed. Just inside til then :) I have gotten a bigger pot at least until then but I prefer plants outside 🤣

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2024, 01:54:14 PM »
It will be fine outside when itís in the 40ís or higher. It wouldnít hurt to get it out in the sun if you arenít going to see the 30ís for a while.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 04:06:00 PM »
Also crazy heavy feeder so compost old fruit veg scraps so you donít spend 50$ on fertilizer for 5$ of bananas.
I second that.  As a matter of fact, you can simply mulch heavily around your plant (4 to 6 inches) and then pull back the mulch, add the garbage, and replace the mulch. Each day go to a new spot.  If you have a few plants, and maybe some papaya plants as well, you can use your garbage (green manure) very effectively in this way.  You'll have very healthy plants and very good fruit.
John