Author Topic: Garcinia discussion thread  (Read 3757 times)

0hip

• Australia, Townsville, QLD, 11b
    • View Profile
Garcinia discussion thread
« on: August 07, 2023, 04:21:19 AM »
Same as other threads Iím starting this for everyone to share small achievements/boast/questions or discoveries which donít warrant their own thread but still want to share

To get it started everyone just post something Interesting to get the momentum going

Iíll start with some Iíve only recently planted. Thereís very little information out there so Iíd love any advice you have (just donít say they are too close together, I know but Iím working with what Iíve got)

I havenít done a proper count but I think I have close to 20 specie.  some in ground and some in pots. Completely obsessed with them same as anyone else thatís ground a garcinia and Iíd love for others to share their experiences and photos

Line of Russellís sweet

Cherry mangosteen (Forbesii)

What Floridians call achachairu? (Gardeneriana)

Button mangosteen forest (prainiana)

Garcinia Dulcis

Lindero (unknown?)

foresight

• San Diego, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Garcinia discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 05:32:07 AM »
This is nothing crazy, but I was quite surprised by how tough the seeds were for superior lemon drop. I was out of space in my grow tents so I left a few germinated seeds outside (San Diego) in January, assuming they would just die. Imagine my surprise when I see them sprouting with backyard night temps in the mid to low 30s (no frost though), and surviving the rest of winter in a small 2.5Ē pot.

0hip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 10:37:44 PM »
Only just managed to find the superior lemon drop the other day (was given about 5 of each fruit and kept the seeds). Not sure if itís worth putting one into the ground. They taste the same as the regular lemon drop, I think Iíll just keep it in a pot if I do keep it.

What other do you have? Pics?

Lemon drop compared to the superior

« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 10:39:29 PM by 0hip »

foresight

• San Diego, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 04:47:32 PM »
I wouldn't know about the taste as far as lemon drop goes as regular mangosteen is the only garcinia I've ever tasted. All of my garcinia are still young seedlings with most of them having been grown entirely indoors. Ignoring the species that either died or never germinated I think I currently have Russell's, Luc's, brasiliensis, livingstonei, mangostana, macrophylla, multiflora, and madruno. I had some aristata that randomly died recently and I have a few forbesii seeds in vermiculite but I don't think that they are viable.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 04:49:31 PM »
I wouldn't know about the taste as far as lemon drop goes as regular mangosteen is the only garcinia I've ever tasted. All of my garcinia are still young seedlings with most of them having been grown entirely indoors. Ignoring the species that either died or never germinated I think I currently have Russell's, Luc's, brasiliensis, livingstonei, mangostana, macrophylla, multiflora, and madruno. I had some aristata that randomly died recently and I have a few forbesii seeds in vermiculite but I don't think that they are viable.

I received a notification that G aristata is back in stock at Trade Winds if you wanna give it another shot

foresight

• San Diego, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 05:44:46 PM »

I received a notification that G aristata is back in stock at Trade Winds if you wanna give it another shot

I appreciate the heads up though currently I'm too low on space to deal with anymore dioecious species so I've been cutting back on garcinias. It's worth noting that aristata was the slowest growing garcinia by far for me (seeds were coincidentally from Trade Winds). While they sprouted fast, the three plants that I had were only around 2 inches tall and around a year old.

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 06:01:12 PM »

I appreciate the heads up though currently I'm too low on space to deal with anymore dioecious species so I've been cutting back on garcinias. It's worth noting that aristata was the slowest growing garcinia by far for me (seeds were coincidentally from Trade Winds). While they sprouted fast, the three plants that I had were only around 2 inches tall and around a year old.

I have stupidly bought too many species of garcinias in the past only for all them to die. Now that I have misters running most of the day they are finally growing so I am foolishing buying all these garcinias coming out. Maybe we can make a trade down the road

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2023, 10:05:25 PM »
Garcinias have been pretty robust for me.  I have all the common varieties growing in containers.   I had one gummi-gata the was never healthy and eventually died.  I had a half dozen mangostana of which a few suddenly died at various stages while three of them are still sloooowly growing and look healthy.  A few Lucs, and at least a dozen lemon drop, seashore, and achaichairu/achacha.  A handful of livingstonei and a bacupuri.  All of those have been easy growing.

I recently found some mangostana fruit at a Seattle market that were imported from Mexico instead of the usual Asia.  They were fresher than the Asian ones and hopefully not irradiated, I am trying to sprout the seeds.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 12:47:38 PM »
Most of the new world garcinias do well in South Florida
It seems like G. acuminata was a little cold sensitive though.

Since the old world ones are more likely to be dioecious I've kinda shied away.
I am growing dulcis though, those trees are 8 ft now, hoping for some flowers any day now

@op last I checked Achachairu doesn't have a species name but G. humilis is commonly thrown around.
People also just call it Bolivian mangosteen.
The first time I heard of achacha was from AUS marketing and that name seems to be used widely used as any other name

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 06:26:45 PM »
Anybody know what this tree might be missing? Tried growing lemon drop from seed and it did horrible always chlorotic leaves. I bought a larger established tree and itís first flush of new growth, same situation

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 06:28:22 PM »
I thought that was normal for new garcinia leaves, they have never been dark green for me until hardened off

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 06:29:39 PM »
@op last I checked Achachairu doesn't have a species name but G. humilis is commonly thrown around.
The first time I heard of achacha was from AUS marketing and that name seems to be used widely used as any other name

My wife was watching Australian Master Chef TV show and they had this fruit, they called it 'Achacha' on the show.  Not sure if it is common there or was just a novelty.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2023, 06:37:49 PM »
I thought that was normal for new garcinia leaves, they have never been dark green for me until hardened off

I hope thatís the case Iím kinda just basing it off experience. Whenever I saw this light green yellow color it never really darkened up

Thefatcuban

• Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2023, 07:19:22 PM »
Here's some of the species I've got growing

Achachairu - Tempted fate and got froze last year, starting to come back

Madruno

Lemon drop

Some unfortunate looking Cherapu

Cuban mangosteen

Lemon drop/Superior lemon drop trees

Luc's garcinia

Frankies garcinia seedlings

Luc's garcinia (pumpkin variety)

Seashore mangosteens

Garcinia Assimica seedlings

Garcinia sp brazilian cherapu

Have a couple more species starting to germinate - Bahiensis, Cherapu, Semente Pequena etc..
Josh

0hip

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 07:28:16 PM »

My wife was watching Australian Master Chef TV show and they had this fruit, they called it 'Achacha' on the show.  Not sure if it is common there or was just a novelty.

Yes there is one plantation in australia with 16,000 trees. i wouldent call it common but when they are in season there are a few higher end green grocerns in most major cities which will stock them. i visited the plantation a last year as its only about 30km from where i live and also a personal tour is only $20 per person. lovely couple that run is and you can also camp or park a caravan there overnight. well worth a visit.

Skhan: they call the one commercially grown in australia humilis but apparently thats not correct and they didnt actually know what it was but needed a species name for the government to approve the biosecurity import permit and just used humilis. thats just a rumour though but when i visited the plantation from what they said they had never really even seen an achacha until they fruit/seeds showed up at customs.
 Almost all of the pictures and videos ive seen of the achachairu from florida are yellow and have a different shaped leaf from the commercial achacha in australia. Its also listed as the species in the florida growables website. not sure what they are but they are definitely different from what we have here
 same as all of the garcinias theres probably no actual answer as the different names are just common names in where they are from and probably never differentiated between species.
https://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/GarciniaGardneriana.htm
-> also see cubans just posted photo which is very different to ours (posted below)

nick - yes they are just young leaves, they take a while to go green

« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 07:42:36 PM by 0hip »

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2023, 07:38:37 PM »
General question for everyone here. My garcinias in the past usually grow to a crisp no matter what i have done. Ive tried everything but I chalk it up to our dryness here and intense sunlight.

Out of curiosity do you grow your garcinias differently than your other tropicals? I know most need to be in shade in the first few years but even with misters and a recent greenhouse I still dont see those pretty green leaves

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2023, 07:56:44 PM »
hammer524, I keep all my garcinias packed together in a dense cluster where the foliage is heavily overlapped and I can't even identify the individual trees, under the partial shade of other larger trees.  This seems to keep the humidity up as I have read garcinias prefer high humidity and shade. 

There's a bunch of small ones way down there that barely get any sunlight and they seem quite happy. 

Except mangostana... which I keep in the greenhouse year-round
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 07:59:46 PM by brian »

Thefatcuban

• Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2023, 07:58:08 PM »
General question for everyone here. My garcinias in the past usually grow to a crisp no matter what i have done. Ive tried everything but I chalk it up to our dryness here and intense sunlight.

Out of curiosity do you grow your garcinias differently than your other tropicals? I know most need to be in shade in the first few years but even with misters and a recent greenhouse I still dont see those pretty green leaves

I agree with the dryness and sunlight, I move my plants outside in early-mid april and none of the older leaves were burnt (did have newer flushes get burnt) until there were a few weeks in July that were very dry and had a very high UV index. I have my smaller plants under a 40% shade cloth, the 1st image is a lemondrop that received about 3-4 more hours of afternoon sun vs the 2nd one during that time.

Josh

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2023, 08:01:24 PM »

I agree with the dryness and sunlight, I move my plants outside in early-mid april and none of the older leaves were burnt (did have newer flushes get burnt) until there were a few weeks in July that were very dry and had a very high UV index. I have my smaller plants under a 40% shade cloth, the 1st image is a lemondrop that received about 3-4 more hours of afternoon sun vs the 2nd one during that time.

Wow that looks great. I planted a lot of seeds in june but I think i need to think of our weather here in July as an outlier since it practically never got under 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Glad to know that there is hope

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2023, 08:06:34 PM »

For instance this is my in ground imbe after this past month

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2023, 08:36:56 PM »
Does anyone know if Frankies Garcinia is dioecious? I have 3 or 4 seedlings I think, just was not sure if it is considered new world or old world in origin.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2023, 08:41:03 PM »
I have my imbes (6-18in tall) in pretty much full shade, yours looks to be in full sun which might be too much for a small garcinia.

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2023, 08:48:43 PM »
Itís in half shade and was growing fine in June but our record heat wave knocked it down

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2023, 09:12:56 PM »
Ohhh yea... I just noticed the Phoenix, AZ in your profile.  Ouch, it is always bad when your weather makes national headlines.

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2023, 09:15:03 PM »
Itís better than the other news this county makes  :-X

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk