Author Topic: Can anyone confirm if this is a purple mangosteen plant!  (Read 756 times)

Stinkfist

• USA Ohio 6a
    • View Profile
Can anyone confirm if this is a purple mangosteen plant!
« on: September 13, 2023, 10:33:21 PM »
Hi,

I ordered this plant off of Etsy from Porto Rico, just want to make sure I am not wasting space or time, as I am quite limited on space. Thank you

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone confirm if this is a purple mangosteen plant!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 11:55:36 PM »
Hard to say. Looks a tad different from what I know to be g. mangostana; thinner leaves. But it is small, and could be a different cultivar.

If it grows faster than extremely slow, it is probably not g. mangostana.

That appears to be a large pot for a plant that size. Mangosteen have sensitive roots, too big of a pot can be a problem. Tall and thin pots are probably best, especially when young. Tap root is where its at. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 11:57:46 PM by roblack »

Stinkfist

• USA Ohio 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 12:19:39 AM »
Hard to say. Looks a tad different from what I know to be g. mangostana; thinner leaves. But it is small, and could be a different cultivar.

That appears to be a large pot for a plant that size. Mangosteen have sensitive roots, too big of a pot can be a problem. Tall and thin pots are probably best, especially when young. Tap root is where its at.

It definitely grows slow, got those two leaves in a month and a half, seems slow. Yeah I read they have quite the tap root, itís a 7 gallon container, but it is tall and skinny so thought it might be ok, also read they do not transplant well and to use a larger pot? Just what I read I am very new to all this.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 03:32:05 AM »

Yeah, it looks a little more like a brasilensis to me but they're really similar small; most of the larger purple mangosteens I've seen have more more "ribbed" spade-shaped leaves iirc. May not be possible to tell till it gets larger?

The air pot he's using *should* be okay for developing taproot if it's a purple and the purple is anything like other garcinia in initial habit (I've used them for achacha, lemon drop, madruno, imbe, also seashore and gummi gutta before the cold got them). That's what they were originally designed for, managing trees with aggressive taproots when small (eucalyptus specifically, I think, although they don't work for everything like that in my admittedly limited experience). It looks happy enough, whatever it is. I've only grown purple mangosteen twice though, briefly, and both times it was taking a seedling off somebody's hands and sending it to a climate where it would possibly not die in the winter.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 03:34:42 AM by CeeJey »

happyhana

• Hana, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 11:05:06 PM »
Iíve grown a good number of mangosteens from seed, doesnít look like mangostana to me.

Stinkfist

• USA Ohio 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 11:32:33 PM »
Iíve grown a good number of mangosteens from seed, doesnít look like mangostana to me.

Well thatís disappointing, any idea what it might be then?

foresight

• San Diego, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 01:01:03 AM »
Leaves are a bit long and not quite as matte as I'd expect but I've definitely seen mangostana seedlings that look like that.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 03:20:27 AM »
In my opinion, it is G.mangustana.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 10:38:42 AM »
Here's some new growth on g. magnostana

Stinkfist

• USA Ohio 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 09:22:20 PM »
Here's some new growth on g. magnostana

Hmm Thanks for the picture, kind of looks similar? But yeah itís tough to tell.

VOLANT007

• USA, Florida, Vero Beach, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2023, 02:57:58 AM »
not convinced it is a mangosteen.  i am very weary of ANYTHING coming out of puerto rico.  ive purchased multiple "mangosteens" and other plants from PR on ebay that turned out to be something else.  would you mind sharing who the seller was?

Stinkfist

• USA Ohio 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2023, 04:20:42 PM »
not convinced it is a mangosteen.  i am very weary of ANYTHING coming out of puerto rico.  ive purchased multiple "mangosteens" and other plants from PR on ebay that turned out to be something else.  would you mind sharing who the seller was?

The seller is TropicalFruitGarden

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2023, 11:21:01 PM »
It looks closer to my brasiliensis than to purple mangosteen.

G mangostana new leaf is more of a purpleish shade vs yours looks more on the brown side. Leaf shape looks closer to the brasiliensis I've had and seen.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2023, 01:48:27 AM »
All the Puerto Rico Sellers on here are awesome.
Maybe it's EBay.

Stinkfist

• USA Ohio 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2023, 09:52:50 PM »
All the Puerto Rico Sellers on here are awesome.
Maybe it's EBay.

It was definitely EtsyÖ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk