Author Topic: Choosing only 2 Jaboticaba to grow  (Read 3136 times)

roesn

• US
    • View Profile
Choosing only 2 Jaboticaba to grow
« on: December 19, 2013, 04:59:38 PM »
I have been interested in the Jabuticaba for a while now and want to purchase two live trees. I cant decide on which kind to get. In your opinion, what is the best species of jaboticaba?And which species does the best indoors? (I will have to bring it indoors during the winter)
http://www.mgonlinestore.com/Jaboticaba/jaboticaba01.jpg
http://www.fruitipedia.com/Cabelluda%20fruits.JPG

These are the ones Ive heard a lot about.

Black fruit- Myrciaria cauliflora - Over 9 feet / Harvest 6+ years
Yellow fruit - Plinia glomerata - Height 4-6 feet / Harvest 2-3 years

Will I need two of each species or could I find two different species of jaboticabas and still have them cross pollinate for better yield and quality?

Thanks!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Choosing only 2 Jaboticaba to grow
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »
Go for the Red jaboticaba (hybrid) or my second choice the Grimal (m spirito santensis)

the red is early bearing (3-5 yr from seed) almost everbearing, and dwarf (can be kept in a pot and less than 9ft tall indefinitely)

the Grimal is a good 2nd choice, it's also early bearing (around 5-7yr from seed) and makes large delicious fruits...the only down side, is this tree is larger, and will exceed 10ft tall with proper care, in about 15yrs...but can easily be kept at about 10ft tall in a 25 gal pot for many years, maybe 25 or more)...also consider the fact that the Grimal isn't as productive as the red

If you're looking for either of those trees, I can sell you one, and ship to you...depending on what state you're in (I'm not yet able to ship to CA, TX, LA, AZ, or HI)

good luck with your jabo endeavors...it's one of the best fruit trees I've come across!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

roesn

• US
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 07:21:21 PM »
How are the taste on these varieties? I've never heard of them and worry that after years I should have gone with the one I always see... The  Caulifloura species. But isn't that too big for indoors anyway? I'm in Wisconsin with a green house and have a powerful grow light for my fruit trees in the winter. Do all of these species bloom from the bark like the caulifloura?

I would love to see your selection and prices, but I'm still very much stuck on deciding...

Current choices:
Caulifloura - the one I always see. But could it grow too tall? 7 years to fruit?
Yellow jabo - From what I've read it can fruit in 2-3 years and grow shorter at 6+ feet. These are the only reasons this was one of my choices, if another beats it out I would like to know what it is :)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:25:07 PM »
Go for the Red jaboticaba (hybrid) or my second choice the Grimal (m spirito santensis)

the red is early bearing (3-5 yr from seed) almost everbearing, and dwarf (can be kept in a pot and less than 9ft tall indefinitely)

the Grimal is a good 2nd choice, it's also early bearing (around 5-7yr from seed) and makes large delicious fruits...the only down side, is this tree is larger, and will exceed 10ft tall with proper care, in about 15yrs...but can easily be kept at about 10ft tall in a 25 gal pot for many years, maybe 25 or more)...also consider the fact that the Grimal isn't as productive as the red

If you're looking for either of those trees, I can sell you one, and ship to you...depending on what state you're in (I'm not yet able to ship to CA, TX, LA, AZ, or HI)

good luck with your jabo endeavors...it's one of the best fruit trees I've come across!

If i plant a 3 gallon red in the ground in Florida. How many years for it to reach 10 feet tall?
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 09:26:43 PM »

There are so many factors there is no exact answer.
I have been finding the jabos seem to like the ground better then pots.
Obviouslly fertlilizer, water are really important. Genetics will also be a factor you
can't control. On the first of every month I have been hitting all my jabos in pots and
in the ground with Epsoma Holly tone and I haven't needed Chelated iron drenches.
I also throw a small handful of sulpher around each plant once a month. My water is
rain water or well water. My 4 red jabos are in 25 gallon pots and they get 1/2 day of direct
sun. They seem happy and they shed all the time and flower constantly

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 09:51:24 PM »

There are so many factors there is no exact answer.
I have been finding the jabos seem to like the ground better then pots.
Obviouslly fertlilizer, water are really important. Genetics will also be a factor you
can't control. On the first of every month I have been hitting all my jabos in pots and
in the ground with Epsoma Holly tone and I haven't needed Chelated iron drenches.
I also throw a small handful of sulpher around each plant once a month. My water is
rain water or well water. My 4 red jabos are in 25 gallon pots and they get 1/2 day of direct
sun. They seem happy and they shed all the time and flower constantly

Your tree looks very nice. This information is useful to me. I think I have a spot where it can get Morning Sun until about 1 or 2:00 It will be in one of the more wetter areas of my yard. I do not have issues with standing water so that should be a good spot.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:53:14 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 08:37:13 AM »
While we are being implausible lets go further. If you were cast adrift and landed on a jaboticaba-less isle and encountered a bottle/lamp with a genie in it one day on the beach. If the genie offered to grant you a wish of any 2 jaboticabas in a 7 gallon pot you desire having only those for the rest of your days, what would you choose? Something reliable? Fast and flashy? I think something fast bearing with good taste for starters like a red hybrid or scarlet and secondly something bigger with good tasting large fruit and small seeds. Grimal would be a good choice for the second or even the humble sabara as these are tried and true varieties.
By the way this week so far my grimal has produced around 30 lbs of ripe fruit and is still loaded.

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 09:37:33 AM »
i read everywhere that jabos need a lot of water.. what does that really mean, does it need a drip system installed to irrigate them constantly?
if so,  have been thinking of planting mine near the air conditioner water drain, that water is basically distilled water, should be ok for this type of plants..
maybe

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 04:37:05 PM »
The Red would be my recommendation.
Grows fastest, fruits earlier, blooms continuously once it starts, has very good tasting fruit, edible skins, and the seeds have a very high germination rate with multiple plants frequently sprouting from a single seed.

Kevin Jones

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 06:42:20 PM »
i read everywhere that jabos need a lot of water.. what does that really mean, does it need a drip system installed to irrigate them constantly?
if so,  have been thinking of planting mine near the air conditioner water drain, that water is basically distilled water, should be ok for this type of plants..
maybe

I had the same impression after reading lots of posts and watching youtube videos. I kept my Red (3 gal from plantogram), 15 gal sabaras from local nursery, grafted anomaly and grimal from flyingfoxfruits in pot saucers with water the entire summer and winter of 2019. All died this spring, ouch, anomaly was expensive. I took them out of pot saucers in January after seeing them deteriorate (yellowing stiff leaves, no growth etc.) but non survived. I only water my new Jabos in pot every 2-3 days now.

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 07:52:00 PM »
maybe

I had the same impression after reading lots of posts and watching youtube videos. I kept my Red (3 gal from plantogram), 15 gal sabaras from local nursery, grafted anomaly and grimal from flyingfoxfruits in pot saucers with water the entire summer and winter of 2019. All died this spring, ouch, anomaly was expensive. I took them out of pot saucers in January after seeing them deteriorate (yellowing stiff leaves, no growth etc.) but non survived. I only water my new Jabos in pot every 2-3 days now.

thanks for your answer... that helps so much..
i will water them as normal, then.. as i water my other plants!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 07:52:57 PM »
If it spends too much time in water they will deteriorate and die. I feel bad about your anomaly :'( . When I first had gotten my plant, mid winter it started to decline. I stuck it in a bucket of water and 2 weeks later it perks up. I then took it out to aviod root rot.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 06:46:28 PM »
Someone bumped a 7-year-old thread but I'll add my two cents anyway.

I bought my red jaboticaba 6 years ago as a 3-gallon. It finally flowered for the first time this year in early spring, but those flowers set fruit and it has been continuously fruiting and flowering ever since. It just finished producing a few ripe fruits and now has a bunch more flowers blooming. It went from 0-100 real quick! And it's a great tree for home growers because producing small amounts of fruit continuously is perfect!

So red has my vote. I believe only the red and the Sabara (black) varieties give multiple crops per year; the others just make one crop so they're a much worse choice for those with limited space.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk