Author Topic: Bauccaurea cocktail tree?  (Read 1075 times)

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
Bauccaurea cocktail tree?
« on: May 14, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »
Aloha
Is it possible? Grafting different types on an in ground tree?  If so what type of graft would work best?  To have maybe a male tree with many different species on it? Like Mafai, rambai, tampoi, starfruit of Borneo, etc...and have the female with the same setup next door. So it might look like Christmas tree ornaments when in season.
I do have some in ground extra male trees of rambai and Mafai, it would be a shame to just cut down these extra males.
If  grafting does work.  my next question...Now I have some Bauccaurea tampoi belimbing starters...would this speed up fruiting if I grafted onto mother rambai tree? if I did several grafts onto mother tree from my seedlings and they happened to be both sexes?
Maybe ive asked this before..:)
Thanks

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Bauccaurea cocktail tree?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 09:18:10 PM »
I have found the rambeh to be easy to graft onto.  I have a solitary male and I cut it back, and then put about 5 cleft grafts from female trees that are located in another part of my farm.  I think all the grafts took so I cut back most of the male foliage.  The grafts are only 6 months old but my expectations are high. 
I really like the idea of trying the inter species grafts on baccaurea.
I really doubt that you will gain anything by grafting seedlings onto mature plants.  I think that to get quicker production you have to use scion material already in production.
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk