Author Topic: Is it possible to fruit a Dwarf Coconut in a pot?  (Read 1596 times)

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
Is it possible to fruit a Dwarf Coconut in a pot?
« on: May 19, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
Aloha
Can a dwarf coconut tree hold its fruit in a big pot? Maybe a Malaysian yellow type?
Was pondering on this.
Has anyone seen or done this before? 
Would those self pruning pots work?

Thanks

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to fruit a Dwarf Coconut in a pot?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:27:17 PM »
Yes but fruit will be small runt of no value than ornamental and potted tree will abort the lion share of fruit.  250 gallon should be the starting point for something of happiness, under that and I found its best growing Madasgacar Cold Coconut a kissing cousin for its beauty and they do better pot culture.  If you trim fronds too much it will eventually surcumb to an early death or stagnant growth of sickly values! They make horrible bonsai I am afraid!😂. The majestic of the tree can only be appreciate by its large grandeur presence in Firma Terra!🌴🌴. Large self pruning pot work but you are going to keep dumping soil in periodically!😕
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 02:14:25 PM »
Even if possible, I would be concerned about how stable it would be.  Even the dwarf coconuts seem to have a fair amount of mass relatively high up and a lot of surface area (fronds) for wind to act on.  I would be concerned about it flipping over with the resulting damage to the tree and things nearby, & the difficulty in trying to right it again.  I don't recall how much wind you get down in Waipio but we get lots along Hamakua.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 06:58:29 PM »
For coconuts i think the way to go is hydroponics. Just kidding.  ;) I think it's possible but not practical to fruit dwarf coconuts in a pot. Why do you wanna do that anyway, living on coconut island (Hawaii)?
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk