Author Topic: Central Valley, ca thread  (Read 4712 times)

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Central Valley, ca thread
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2020, 08:43:01 AM »
Impressive! Are you in a more cove location in Bakersfield to have only received low 30s?

I got the Barbados cherry from logees.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2020, 10:44:04 AM »
Your climate is the same as we have in Gulf Shores. 

It makes for a beautiful garden variety collection.

The trick to Papayas is large fabric containers.  Add a lot of sand to the mix.  It cannot be overwatered with this setup.

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »
Your climate is the same as we have in Gulf Shores. 

It makes for a beautiful garden variety collection.

The trick to Papayas is large fabric containers.  Add a lot of sand to the mix.  It cannot be overwatered with this setup.
Feel free to share yours as well! I have an aversion to plants in pots. I really, really want them in ground. But that does confirm part of my speculation. I really need to build a sand mound for my papaya.

This climate makes for a beautiful garden. Tropical trees, succulent ground cover, cacti. Makes for a very fun garden.
Tim

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2020, 01:24:10 PM »
I’m in the Modesto area and have 11 different varieties of avocados as far as tropical fruit trees go. I also have 35 other different varieties of fruit trees growing in my back yard.

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 10:27:43 AM »
Awesome, what’s stopping you from putting in ground?

Can you guys share your watering cycles? I have inconsistent blooming on my citrus. My mandarin barely put on any fruit this year despite being seriously
Loaded last year. I did prune heavy in winter but otherwise things are the same.

I’m setting up micro spray irrigation and I’m trying to make sure I don’t over or under water. My 12x10 avocado is getting approx 150 gallons a week on two separate days. My 7 ft tall mango is getting approx 90 gallons of water a week. What are you guys hear practices? Heavy, clayey loam with thick mulch.

Thanks!

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2020, 02:40:35 PM »
Awesome, what’s stopping you from putting in ground?

Can you guys share your watering cycles? I have inconsistent blooming on my citrus. My mandarin barely put on any fruit this year despite being seriously
Loaded last year. I did prune heavy in winter but otherwise things are the same.

I’m setting up micro spray irrigation and I’m trying to make sure I don’t over or under water. My 12x10 avocado is getting approx 150 gallons a week on two separate days. My 7 ft tall mango is getting approx 90 gallons of water a week. What are you guys hear practices? Heavy, clayey loam with thick mulch.

Thanks!

Wow, you're so detail oriented, knowing how many gallons you used. That's cool.
I'm assuming you only want to know about inground tree watering, so those trees in my yard, I do it manually with a garden hose. I don't use a nozzle, just waving the hose back and forth and around the drip line, under the canopy, spray the leaves. I'd say about 5 minutes per tree. I do this every other day, especially in this heat wave, it's been 100+ this week. If it's not a heat wave, then maybe twice a week.

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »
Yeah, well since changing up my irrigation I felt like I should make sure I don’t kill anything In the process so I measured a few of the heads.

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »

Valencia pride, ice cream and nam doc mai all fruited. All were delicious. My ladyfinger banana also fruited and that was amazing. It was very quick to fruit and already has another flower emerging

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2020, 09:09:43 PM »
Great to hear about these successes!
John

bob_tu

• Hayward/Castro Valley, CA, Zones 10a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2020, 02:10:40 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/user/Matrix56k/videos
This guy grows tropicals in Fresno/Central Valley

CaliforniaGold

• Visalia 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2023, 05:39:49 PM »
I have just recently moved to Visalia from Nipomo. Both 9b but Visalia weather is much more extreme on both ends of the spectrum. I had some issues with the marine influence and a very sandy soil. I am now in the southwest part of Visalia. I think I have somewhat of a microclimate that could help me out. I had previously had a young planting of various sub tropicals on the Nipomo mesa. I dug up everything that I could and took them along for the journey. I now have young longans, mangos, sapodilla, macadamias, pawpaws, cherimoyas, avocados, white sapotes, jujubes, very small coffee and lychees, and of course all your normal central valley fruits. This is the first year in the ground so we will see what happens over the next few months.

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2023, 11:06:50 AM »
This guy in Modesto has some really cool mature plants.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HVbqS8OhavM&pp=ygUbR3JvdyB0cm9waWNhbCBmcnVpdCBtb2Rlc3Rv
Pretty sure he’s fruited Kwai muk and lychee which is not common in north California. My climate in Dublin is a little different but I’m also having success with those unprotected in winter

xesoteryc

• NorCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2023, 11:50:18 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/user/Matrix56k/videos
This guy grows tropicals in Fresno/Central Valley

TCV puts out great stuff, love his content

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk