Author Topic: Myrcia sphaerocarpa  (Read 3686 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Myrcia sphaerocarpa
« on: March 02, 2016, 01:16:15 PM »
Anyone have experience with this plant?  Just acquired it and is in a 5 gallon pot for now.  It's a nice small tree/shrub. 

Read it can be used or researched for its potential for anti-diabetes?

Solko

• Zone 8b-9a
    • Europe
    • View Profile
    • Visual Art
Re: Myrcia sphaerocarpa
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:28:59 AM »
It looks like it is the same thing as Myrcia Multiflora

I don't know anything about it, but it looks pretty. Is yours already flowering and fruiting?

http://www.ufrgs.br/fitoecologia/florars/index.php?pag=buscar_mini.php

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 02:40:25 PM »
no. not yet at least.  once I had moved it into a larger 5 gallon pot, it has started to push out new growth.  So it's pretty happy for now.  I'll post up any updates.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 08:04:54 AM »
I am not familiar with that plant, so can't comment directly to the thread topic.

However, if you are interested in plants that combat diabetes, there are many to choose from, that are cheap, and easy to grow and propagate. For instance, both Gynura Procumbens and bitter melon are known to combat diabetes, and both should be easy for you to get in Hawaii. Hibiscus is another plant that works against diabetes - of which you have many in HI, of course. There are certainly many fruits that are helpful with this, but there are even more tropical vegetables that are helpful, and are easier to grow in large quantities quickly and cheaply without taking as much space as fruit trees. Just thought I would add this in case you, or someone else reading, was unaware and could benefit from this information.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:53:50 PM »
I am not familiar with that plant, so can't comment directly to the thread topic.

However, if you are interested in plants that combat diabetes, there are many to choose from, that are cheap, and easy to grow and propagate. For instance, both Gynura Procumbens and bitter melon are known to combat diabetes, and both should be easy for you to get in Hawaii. Hibiscus is another plant that works against diabetes - of which you have many in HI, of course. There are certainly many fruits that are helpful with this, but there are even more tropical vegetables that are helpful, and are easier to grow in large quantities quickly and cheaply without taking as much space as fruit trees. Just thought I would add this in case you, or someone else reading, was unaware and could benefit from this information.

Hit me up if you need cuttings of Gynura procumbens or any other tropical perennial vegetables.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 02:31:35 PM »

actually, I didn't get it for diabetes.  One day, I went to Frankie's and asked him, what you got that's 'different.'  Over the years he gets things from friends from all over the place for him to grow.  He kind scratched his head and said, let me think about it and walked off.  As I was eating the rest of my jackfruit, he walked up to me and offered the plant to me.  It looked nice and made fruit so why the hell not?!  Besides, I needed something nice looking yet 'useful' to  make the concrete lanai look nice.  Ha ha.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 10:56:56 AM »

i have Gynura as well.
it actually does a lot more than just help with diabetes
it helps Cholesterol, its anti-inflamatory, blood pressure, antibacterial,
controls lipid levels, and has a high nutritional value
even helps cancer.
more here...
http://herbsfromdistantlands.blogspot.com/2015/02/gynura-procumbens-sabungai-leaves-of.html
http://practicalhealthtricks.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-wonder-plant-sabungai-gynura.html

but to control sugar levels
gymnema sylvestre is great.
 gymnemic acids, which have been shown to slow the transport of glucose from the intestines to the bloodstream.
it even acts almost like an exact opposite of miracle berry.
if you chew it, or put the powder on your tongue
you cant taste sugar.
it does other things as well.
http://www.drwhitaker.com/the-benefits-of-gymnema-sylvestre-extract/

here are some natural diabetes controls.
http://www.raysahelian.com/diabetes.html

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 11:25:54 PM »

First buds!

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 01:03:48 AM »
Great news -- looking forward to a fruit review!

John

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 03:02:58 AM »
i hope i can get a review.  only two little flower buds. i don't see any others.  so we'll cross our fingers!

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 01:15:14 AM »

Buds ready to bloom!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk