Author Topic: Will someone please make a case to save a Lancentilla tree  (Read 7131 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
I have a Lancentilla tree that hag grown very well.  It has flowered in the last few years and held fruit but not to ripeness on the tree.
It started gang busters this year, two flushes each setting fruit but has dropped most.  A good many in the last day with some high winds.

My question is this.
Is this fruit any good? 
The size is impressive and the few I have tried were very tart, I believe more to do with me not knowing when to pick and how to ripen.  I am however trainable and can learn but curious what you all think about this particular variety.  I got it for the novelty, but you cant eat novelty :)
I am considering getting rid of it so I can put another tree in its place but I don't want to bail early on this tree.

So, I'd like you thoughts and suggestions.

See Picture of Fruit.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:25:22 PM by Orkine »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Will someone please make a case to save a Lancentilla tree
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:08:38 PM »
Lancetilla is not only a serial dropper but the fruit also loves to split on the tree. What you are left with is a mediocre tasting mango.

This cultivar never should have been mentioned by Fairchild's Tropical fruit program in the first place, much less received a curators choice spot. Pine Island nursery ran with it and STILL lists it as a "condo mango". Absurd.

Topwork it or ax it and plant something else
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:20:48 PM by Squam256 »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 07:47:59 PM »
Lancetilla is not only a serial dropper but the fruit also loves to split on the tree. What you are left with is a mediocre tasting mango.

This cultivar never should have been mentioned by Fairchild's Tropical fruit program in the first place, much less received a curators choice spot. Pine Island nursery ran with it and STILL lists it as a "condo mango". Absurd.

True about the splitting on the tree.  Bruises and weeps too.  Is that a Florida thing?  As a late variety catching the rains of summer and the start of the dry season must confuse the $@#% out of the fruit.  Does controlled irrigation or good drainage solve this?

One vote for cut and top work.... n counting.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 08:15:37 PM »

The only thing, if any, going for Lancetilla is the size of the fruit.  The taste, however, is mediocre. I suggest  pruning the tree heavily and grafting better varieties (Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart, Ugly Betty etc) to the new  growth.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 09:17:01 PM »
Yep. Since it drops 90% of its crop, what remains gets huge. Flavor is indeed mediocre. And the tree can get huge fairly quickly -- much better described as a shade tree than a condo mango. If it weren't for my wife (who, for whatever reason, loves both the gigantic size of the fruit as well as the flavor), I'd have top worked it years ago.

The PIN variety viewer is kind of a joke. My personal growing experience disagrees quite heavily with many of PIN's variety info. At times, I wonder if they just randomly generated those ratings -- which then serve as an excellent marketing tool for naive visitors who actually believe that there is some truth involved.

Jeff  :-)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 09:48:42 PM »
Top work it with Po Pyu Kalai or Lemon Zest!

Simon

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 02:35:32 PM »
I like the top work idea because lancentilla is a very healthy grower ....... but if your not into that it is a disappointing, messy, weird tasting, uneven ripening, splitting, yard space hog ....... that once in a rare while will produce an enormous Jurassic sized mango that will impress everyone that see's it!!!!

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 02:53:39 PM »
After I had one, I top worked mine to Kiett.

Its already half the size it was when i cut it. I was still haven't got into summer

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 06:49:53 PM »
Lancentilla was the first variety I purchased, before I knew what I was doing,  I went with the data from Pine Island viewer because it was recommended as a condo mango.

I can say, this is NOT a good variety for container culture.   if it does not drop the fruit, the fruit take so much energy from the tree that it really sets it back.  after so many years,  and flowering for at least 5 of those years,  I only tried 1 fruit,  that seemed to have some ripening issues.  all other fruit dropped.

Only thing good I can say about this tree is, I have not had any disease problems with it.   about 10 days ago, after years of being in a container,  I planted it, ( along with a bunch of other trees ) in ground.    once established I will top work part of it with something else. but at least keep one branch.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 10:29:07 PM »
Lancentilla was the first variety I purchased, before I knew what I was doing,  I went with the data from Pine Island viewer because it was recommended as a condo mango.

I can say, this is NOT a good variety for container culture.   if it does not drop the fruit, the fruit take so much energy from the tree that it really sets it back.  after so many years,  and flowering for at least 5 of those years,  I only tried 1 fruit,  that seemed to have some ripening issues.  all other fruit dropped.

Only thing good I can say about this tree is, I have not had any disease problems with it.   about 10 days ago, after years of being in a container,  I planted it, ( along with a bunch of other trees ) in ground.    once established I will top work part of it with something else. but at least keep one branch.

Got the tree because of the PIN viewer description as well.
Does make large fruit but I want mango to eat, not just admire the size.

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 10:35:59 PM »
Taking the chainsaw to mine this weekend. I too believed the hype. Lousy bearer, vigorous leggy grower, and a total waste of premium yard space. Condo mango my big toe. As an experiment a few years ago, and before knowing any better, I top-worked a seedling tree in my neighbor's yard with Tommy Atkins, Lancetilla and Keitt on separate but equally spaced branches. The Lancetilla outgrew the Tommy Atkins by leaps and bounds and periodically had to be chopped back to control growth. The Keitt branch was left in the dust.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 12:20:05 AM »
I would like to clarify what has been posted. A number have stated the flavor is mediocre.   What are you people on?  The flavor us...insipid.   I may not like Carrie but its not cause its a bad flavor, its just not to my liking.  The Lancetilla on the other hand,  well, its downright lousy.

Also, as posted abive and all the PIN followers...I suggest heading to the Keys and search out the 50 foot "condo" specimen.
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 01:27:43 AM »
I would like to clarify what has been posted. A number have stated the flavor is mediocre.   What are you people on?  The flavor us...insipid.   I may not like Carrie but its not cause its a bad flavor, its just not to my liking.  The Lancetilla on the other hand,  well, its downright lousy.

Also, as posted abive and all the PIN followers...I suggest heading to the Keys and search out the 50 foot "condo" specimen.

Well we were mango "noobs"  hehe.   at least the NDM I got from PIN was a good buy.    speaking of not knowing nothing, the very first mango tree I purchased was with a coupon, from the city when they cut down our orange tree.   I went to home depot,  picked up a tree because I liked the name,  had no knowledge of anything,    one tag said Tommy Atkins, another said Valencia Pride.   I guess I got lucky.   VP not bad at all,  but tree is a monster.   in chat rooms, Youtube etc.  I try and steer people in the right direction, regarding mango varieties now.   most folks seem to want compact trees and sweet fruit.  which is understandable.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 03:39:38 AM »
Taking the chainsaw to mine this weekend. I too believed the hype. Lousy bearer, vigorous leggy grower, and a total waste of premium yard space. Condo mango my big toe. As an experiment a few years ago, and before knowing any better, I top-worked a seedling tree in my neighbor's yard with Tommy Atkins, Lancetilla and Keitt on separate but equally spaced branches. The Lancetilla outgrew the Tommy Atkins by leaps and bounds and periodically had to be chopped back to control growth. The Keitt branch was left in the dust.

So to top work, what do I do and when.
I know I will cut it down - how tall of a stump?
I know there will be regrowth - is there a best time to cut so the regrowth can be grafted on to?
I assume I can get bud wood from some here but when typically is scion material available?
I will like to put two or three different cultivars on if possible, is the a compatible set of good mangoes with similar growth characteristics?
If making a cocktail three can they bear at different times?

So many questions so little time :)

All suggestions welcome.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 07:22:24 AM »
I keep my Lancetilla about six feet tall, and use it to support my clothesline.
Some years it gamely puts out a mango or three, but they don't seem to make it to maturity.

The Spirit of 76 that I planted right next to Lance is doing especially well this year, maybe because I'm trying to figure out where to plant M-4..............

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 08:49:53 AM »

So to top work, what do I do and when.
I know I will cut it down - how tall of a stump?
I know there will be regrowth - is there a best time to cut so the regrowth can be grafted on to?
I assume I can get bud wood from some here but when typically is scion material available?
I will like to put two or three different cultivars on if possible, is the a compatible set of good mangoes with similar growth characteristics?
If making a cocktail three can they bear at different times?

So many questions so little time :)

All suggestions welcome.

I found this thread pretty helpful
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17332.0

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 09:08:09 AM »
I too was fooled by the Pine Island viewer. It didn't help that Fairchild had it listed as well.

We have really good information here on many of the mango varieties, way better than what is out on the internet.
It would be helpful to a lot of people if we can put together a more accurate list on its own webpage. If possible, part of this website but not necessarily on the forum.

I wouldn't mind scrubbing some information from the forum and putting something together. I'd just need help confirming the info is accurate (at least in South Florida)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 01:17:36 PM »
Keitt isn't really that vigorous. It just tends toward longer internodes. My 2 keitt are actually the more manageable trees in my mango collection (which consists of over 30 trees). Growth is slow and controlled vs a more vigorous cultivar such as lemon zest, which will Explode with growth after a prune. However, keitt is prone to infection (scab and powdery mildew).

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 10:39:25 PM »
Keitt isn't really that vigorous. It just tends toward longer internodes. My 2 keitt are actually the more manageable trees in my mango collection (which consists of over 30 trees). Growth is slow and controlled vs a more vigorous cultivar such as lemon zest, which will Explode with growth after a prune. However, keitt is prone to infection (scab and powdery mildew).

Keitt can also split and is prone to Bacterial Black Spot
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 10:43:22 PM »
BBS Yep.

Keitt can also split and is prone to Bacterial Black Spot

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »
Jeff, you are spot on with your observation of Keitt's long inter-nodes. Keitt has an upright skinny temperament. Mine is grafted onto two root-stocks and yet still quite manageable. By comparison the Lacetilla also tends towards long inter-nodes but however suffers from leaf flush insomnia. Even after taking out major wood, this puppy will not calm down. The tree got a reprieve today as the rain would not cooperate.

Et tu Richard Campbell

Et tu Pine Island Nursery

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »
Let me know how you exercise goes.

Looks like the vote is in.  Not one solitary vote to keep.
The tree goes.

Now the strategy is when - so that I can graft something (or somethings) to recover the yard space.

Should I cut it immediately? or wait.  If I cut now, is there a chance I can get new growth to graft on to?

Jeff, you are spot on with your observation of Keitt's long inter-nodes. Keitt has an upright skinny temperament. Mine is grafted onto two root-stocks and yet still quite manageable. By comparison the Lacetilla also tends towards long inter-nodes but however suffers from leaf flush insomnia. Even after taking out major wood, this puppy will not calm down. The tree got a reprieve today as the rain would not cooperate.

Et tu Richard Campbell

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 09:06:01 PM »
Cut it now.

The tree goes.

Now the strategy is when - so that I can graft something (or somethings) to recover the yard space.

Should I cut it immediately? or wait.  If I cut now, is there a chance I can get new growth to graft on to?

Et tu Richard Campbell

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »
Cut it now.

The tree goes.

Now to the other half of my question.

If I wish to replace with a cocktail tree, what three (no more than 4) cultivars should I try to graft on that have compatible characteristics?

Are there any opinions on making mango cocktail trees first, does this work?  Does one cultivar overpower the others and get dominant with time?

I am considering this option because I am running out of space that I can use.

So many questions.

PS note I said try to graft, that is because I have only ever had one successful mango graft in more than 10 tries (ok more than 20 :) :)) so success isn't guaranteed.

Chicken Vindaloo

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »
I too was fooled by the Pine Island viewer. It didn't help that Fairchild had it listed as well.

We have really good information here on many of the mango varieties, way better than what is out on the internet.
It would be helpful to a lot of people if we can put together a more accurate list on its own webpage. If possible, part of this website but not necessarily on the forum.

I wouldn't mind scrubbing some information from the forum and putting something together. I'd just need help confirming the info is accurate (at least in South Florida)

Excuse me for resurrecting an old thread, but this hit home for me. My Lancetilla succumbed to the axe last year. I had bought it based on PIN & Fairchild reviews too. I started lurking on this forum about a year ago and I regret not having found it sooner. I have had ten mango trees for over fifteen years, but have removed and replaced a number of them- RIP Lancetilla, Neelam, NDM (out of control growth, premature fruit drop, splitting) In fact, three of my current trees have been in the ground for less than three months (Sweet Tart, PPK, and Mallika). But better late than never. Thanks for accurate information and informed opinions everyone. I've learned a lot from this forum!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk