Author Topic: Top 5 mango varieties for commercial production  (Read 7600 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 mango varieties for commercial production
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2017, 06:38:47 AM »
okay thanks for the input so far.

so jumbo kesar/ kesar is one I should consider.

Would NDM #4 be more desirable than an older classic Nam doc mai?

What about coconut cream mango are those good to pick green and ship?

My understanding is that Coconut Cream was patented because I believe Zill saw some commercial potential in it.  maybe someone can give some feedback on this fruit in regards to commercial traits if any, or any other reason for why it was patented.

I think the assumption (or word spread) that CC was patented for its commercial qualities but I don't believe that to be the case.  In fact,  its just the opposite.   It has a soft texture, ripens quickly and has a short shelf life (its sugar content causes it to want to become iverripe and ferment quite quickly).
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2017, 09:29:09 AM »

For any mango, mature green in a picture is tough to convey.

I disagree with Simon,  STs picked mature green will not ripen properly.  They do not react like certain Indian mangoes and if you pick a ST too early, it will wrinkle, have poor flavor and have little positive attributes.  Be patient and pick them with a percentage of orangey gold coloration.

Will do, thanks.   BTW, my ST does have quite a few to the cluster, like 6-8.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2017, 09:33:12 AM »
In Florida thus far PP has been a disappointment as far as production. the trees have a serious problem with premature fruit drop, as do a number of the other new Zill cultivars. Talking about dropping fruit not just small, but large sized past the point that most trees stop.

I'm seeing that Zill fruit drop thingie going on big time with Lemon Zest.  It's still a young 5' tall tree but VERY healthy, vigorous with a full canopy and of course - pampered.  Hope it's not a trend.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »
Other than those who have visited Florida during Sweet Tart season, I dont think many kniw what a peak picked ST is.  Totally different in taste from those picked green and let to ripen iff the tree.  Just my 2 pennies...
Rob, based on this quote, I know I want to go to a tasting.
When and where is a good location in our area (SF) to taste Sweet Tart properly ripened?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2017, 10:24:46 PM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2016-01-08/exports-of-australian-mangoes-to-america-growing-rapidly/7075994 recently the US has received Australian mangoes.
They got $5 USD each for second-day air freighted KP mangoes at an upscale market in Texas last November.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbPsARjeA0Y

Very interesting too is the outcome of the mechanical pruning they do with their trees, I've seen this in ground view but from above the box shape is remarkable!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:32:52 PM by pineislander »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2017, 01:10:36 AM »
I think the assumption (or word spread) that CC was patented for its commercial qualities but I don't believe that to be the case.  In fact,  its just the opposite.   It has a soft texture, ripens quickly and has a short shelf life (its sugar content causes it to want to become iverripe and ferment quite quickly).

Ok that makes sense from what I have read over the years on the forum, thanks Rob for that confirmation.

regarding the original question by OP
There are many different mangoes grown all over the world commercially,  I mean even Edward is grown commercially.   but to be a profitable venture in Florida,  the 1st thing you need to know is your market,  and what varieties ( superior than the common fare ) That will grow well in this location, and hold up in shipping.

Regarding NDM#4  from what I have read,  it has less susceptibility to splitting,  from specimens I have seen here in Florida during my visit, almost all that I have seen had black specks on them, the only ones that looked clean were a couple I purchased green..  ( 3 different sources ) They were all extremely sweet.   one think NDM has going for it,  there seems to be some buzz around this mango among Vegans,  which is a potential target market.

Another variety one may consider is Mallika.  the fruit I had were pretty clean, but the taste was amazing, I have had them before but, the ones I tried from Truly Tropical,  were the best mangoes I have had this year.  and these mangoes love to be picked green, making them a good candidate for commercial use.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk