Author Topic: Nam nam - Cynometra cauliflora  (Read 1956 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Nam nam - Cynometra cauliflora
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
Just curious if any one has ever tasted this fruit , is it worth the planting space ? I have one left , dead slow growing but good looking plant 5 - 6 years old.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Nam nam - Cynometra cauliflora
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 06:03:44 AM »
Luc they can fruit after 3 years and yours might be even slower than usual.There seems to be a bit of variety in fruit size and the amount of flesh.The taste is like dry,leathery granny smith apple in a good way.I have had them off a tree that was more sour.They are not something that everyone enjoys immediately but as a chewy snack some people value them.They are used mostly in cooking and various dishes uncooked.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
Thanks Mike , I'll keep it in a big planter...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »
I want to plant this fruit.  It is the first fruit where I have seen my wife searching the ground under the tree for seeds.  Here is my summary of what she has to say about it:   For her it is a nostalgic food from her childhood.  Her friend had a tree in a very densely populated town (which must mean it is good, since that space could have held a rambutan or something)  She says that the green fruit with salt is similar to a green mango and she enjoys it as much. The texture is more chewy than mango.  Ripe, the fruit becomes more yellow fleshed, sweeter and can be eaten without salt.  The flavour when ripe is halfway between mango and tamarind.  She cannot remember the texture when ripe.  The fruit was not sold, so not many people like it, she says.  Whether ripe or green it is difficult to peel and a knife is needed.  When the fruit is green, she eats the white stuff from the seed that sticks to the fruit.  When ripe, she doesn't remember if she eats the white stuff.  There is a tree at the Horticultural Park near Tenom where I live, but I have not found it in season when I have visited.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 10:50:58 AM »
My more than 10 years old Nam Nam plant developed flowers for the first time. It sets flower buds several times in the past, but they dried off.
This can be the first time cynometra flowers in Slovakia at all.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 11:05:43 AM »
Another great accomplishment radoslav!

How do you seem to have such success with potted plants?

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 02:49:09 PM »
Huh, that's an interesting looking fruit.  Never heard of this one, so I had to look it up.  It's like a little potsticker dumpling.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk