Author Topic: Privacy Screen Considerations  (Read 1008 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Privacy Screen Considerations
« on: August 23, 2020, 01:48:37 PM »
I have the space for another mango tree by my back fence. I'd like complete privacy though from the neighbors behind me (i.e., would like to not know that they even exist). The mango would provide good privacy for a while, but as it grows, its privacy producing effect might diminish. Would avocado be better? Would I be better off planting a shrub that I will maintain at around 10 feet and plant the mango next to it? If so, is there a particular distance that I should aim for between a shrub and mango?

Thanks in advance.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
Re: Privacy Screen Considerations
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 04:15:17 PM »
You can keep the mango tree pruned to make it grow like a bush, esp. varieties like Coconut cream that like to throw branches downwards make a thick bush in 5-6 years. If you go with tree-shape option for the mango tree then some bushy shrub that likes full shade should be your option because there will be dense shade under the mango tree. Katuk grows into a thick bush, 6ft tall but not sure it likes full shade. Garcinia, seashore mangosteen and Achachairu also grow into a thick hedge 10ft tall, 10ft wide but i have seen them grow well in full sun, may be they will not grow well in full shade. Noni is another tree that grows into a wide bushy tree but likes full sun so won't grow under the mango tree. In my garden Alpinia Zerumbet has grown 7ft tall and 6 ft wide in shade, and roots are superficial so won't compete with mango roots, but they grow fast and there is possibility of it shading the young mango tree. Hopefully others can chime in with their experience.

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 11:50:20 PM »
A row of short banana plants (dwarf Brazillian or Namwah) would do the trick in a matter of months.

Chris from Truly Tropical has a video where they show a Bay Rum privacy hedge that looks really nice.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 07:35:09 AM »
A row of short banana plants (dwarf Brazillian or Namwah) would do the trick in a matter of months.

Chris from Truly Tropical has a video where they show a Bay Rum privacy hedge that looks really nice.

Great point. I have some bananas in my hedge and was thinking of more, as they do make for a quick privacy screen. Though, Har told me that I'd want to keep my bananas and mangoes apart (at least 6 ft between edges of canopies) due to different fertilization requirements. Putting a namwa in the hedge would be great, but it would then limit the ability to have a mango nearby, which would be a shame. As it stands, I have a mango about 16-18 feet from the open spot in the hedge.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 07:53:13 AM »

Great point. I have some bananas in my hedge and was thinking of more, as they do make for a quick privacy screen. Though, Har told me that I'd want to keep my bananas and mangoes apart (at least 6 ft between edges of canopies) due to different fertilization requirements. Putting a namwa in the hedge would be great, but it would then limit the ability to have a mango nearby, which would be a shame. As it stands, I have a mango about 16-18 feet from the open spot in the hedge.

Yes i agree, bananas love water and chop and drop, heavy feeders and though there are some dwarf varieties most of them tend to grow tall and lean sideways when they get top heavy with fruits. Plus i am not sure if bananas will flower/fruit in the shade of the mango tree. Surinam cherry does well in neglect , has been flowering without any watering for me, so water requirements aren't different from mango, and you can plant it very close to the fence and let it bush up. Then plant mango 6ft away from fence.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 09:18:59 AM »

Yes i agree, bananas love water and chop and drop, heavy feeders and though there are some dwarf varieties most of them tend to grow tall and lean sideways when they get top heavy with fruits. Plus i am not sure if bananas will flower/fruit in the shade of the mango tree. Surinam cherry does well in neglect , has been flowering without any watering for me, so water requirements aren't different from mango, and you can plant it very close to the fence and let it bush up. Then plant mango 6ft away from fence.

Thanks - great idea! This could work well. The mango can provide privacy first and then the surinam cherries could provide privacy as the mango got taller. Maybe the way to get privacy quicker is to plant pigeon pea where the cherries will ultimately go, let them provide some privacy until the mango is the right size for that, then replace the pigeon pea with the surinam cherries so that they can provide privacy by the time the mango is taller. I really appreciate the comments that I am getting here. Lots of great ideas.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 11:55:30 AM »
I doubt  this is seriously enforced but Broward County code wants  you to have bushes or a fence obscuring your air conditioner. Mine faces the public road/ So I planted a mango tree to hide the A/C , tree is kept bushy and is 10ft tall/

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 06:35:35 PM »
I doubt  this is seriously enforced but Broward County code wants  you to have bushes or a fence obscuring your air conditioner. Mine faces the public road/ So I planted a mango tree to hide the A/C , tree is kept bushy and is 10ft tall/

Would you mind sharing a photo? I'd love to see it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk