Author Topic: Palms to the north (south Florida)  (Read 712 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Palms to the north (south Florida)
« on: August 28, 2020, 10:14:19 AM »
Hi all. Below is a photo of my yard to the north where I'd like to plant mangoes and avocados. I have an orange sherbet already that can be seen in the photo in the middle of the yard there. I planted a super haas 6' off the fence line, which you can see in the photo on the right.

My neighbors to the north have a lot of palm trees. The closer we are to the summer solstice, as the sun moves overhead and sets to the north, the more shade I get from them. In the photo, beginning on the left, there is a cluster of aerica palms (these are planted further back from the fence than the others; I don't know how far). Then there are larger palms to the right of those. If you look closely, though, you can see the tops of more palms (can't tell what they are) peeking out between the aericas and the larger palms. There are more larger palms to the right of that (I don't know if there will be anything planned for between these larger palms - these people like their privacy). Then finally what appears to be more aerica palms at the right most edge (I don't think that those will affect me, though).

Could this row of palms be a problem for growing mangoes and avocados (or anything else) down that fence line? If so, other than growing fruit trees that are tolerant or shade, are there any other means for coping with this? For instance, getting further from the fence than 6 ft (and if so how far)? Maybe scrapping the mangoes and going with avocado varieties and other trees that flower and fruit when the spot will get full sun?

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Palms to the north (south Florida)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 10:51:08 AM »
If people want privacy, why don't they plant a hedge?  It's absurd when they plant areca palms, which become invasive and the neighbor's problem!  At my old house the next-door lady planted them almost on the property line and also a vine with 2-inch thorns, and I had to battle them for eight years.  I literally shed blood!
John

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 07:27:14 PM »
Plant them regardless of the palms. Get them growing,

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 05:37:51 PM »
Plant them regardless of the palms. Get them growing,

That's a good point. Just have fun and get growing. Thanks!

PBm4nG0

• Broward 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 06:55:36 PM »
As the OS and avocado get taller they will get more sun, don't think it will be a huge problem. Don't wanna start a war with the neighbor. They are already planted.
I'm always impressed with how much my Keitt produces despite my neighbors huge Live Oak that towers over the east side of my yard and shades the Keitt the whole morning until 10:30 and competes again for the west sun from a tall Gumbo Limbo. The Keitt is tall though and still gets some sun.

Bruce

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 05:05:23 PM »
As the OS and avocado get taller they will get more sun, don't think it will be a huge problem. Don't wanna start a war with the neighbor. They are already planted.
I'm always impressed with how much my Keitt produces despite my neighbors huge Live Oak that towers over the east side of my yard and shades the Keitt the whole morning until 10:30 and competes again for the west sun from a tall Gumbo Limbo. The Keitt is tall though and still gets some sun.

Bruce

Interesting, thanks Bruce. I'll at least plant as far from the fence as is possible and I guess I won't alter my plans based on the palms. My neighbors are pretty good, so I bet that if some of those other palms happen to be aurea and grow over the fence line too much, we could address neighborly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk