Author Topic: Indian Jujube varieties ?  (Read 1171 times)

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
Indian Jujube varieties ?
« on: November 06, 2020, 10:37:01 AM »
Hi All, on the Indian Jujube "ziziphus mauritiana " are there know named and recognized named varieties?  or are they all the same? Regards    Patrick

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Jujube varieties ?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 11:32:13 AM »
There are lots of named varieties in India but what I’ve seen in the US thus far are pretty much all the same with just different names.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 12:49:42 PM »
Good question.

I have an "Indian" and a "Thai" version. One from PIN, the other from TOP...

While they color up slightly different when overripe, they otherwise look and taste identical. 

Both have thorns, but were reported to be "thornless."  Perhaps they have less thorns than Chinese jujubes.

Fruits are nice, refreshing but not super sweet.

Tons of flowers and small fruit forming now.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 03:59:09 PM »
I am growing what may be a new variety with large fruit. It's also supposed purported as "thornless", and as it is not completely thornless, if you compare it to any of the other jujubes i've seen, I guess you could call it that.  It's heavily fruiting and flowering now, so I'll know shortly if its something special.  On another note, I've never seen a tree grow as fast as this....It's almost unbelievable. I planted it as a 12" tall stick in February, no leaves or branches.  It is not 8-9 feet tall, 6-8 feet wide, and must have 100+ fruit on it and countless flowers. We are talking 8 months

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 05:38:35 PM »
I am growing what may be a new variety with large fruit. It's also supposed purported as "thornless", and as it is not completely thornless, if you compare it to any of the other jujubes i've seen, I guess you could call it that.  It's heavily fruiting and flowering now, so I'll know shortly if its something special.  On another note, I've never seen a tree grow as fast as this....It's almost unbelievable. I planted it as a 12" tall stick in February, no leaves or branches.  It is not 8-9 feet tall, 6-8 feet wide, and must have 100+ fruit on it and countless flowers. We are talking 8 months
Please note that you have to stake the tree and branches with the weight of the fruits.
There is a Thai and similar Taiwan cultivar of Z. mauritiana around 2" slightly oblong tastes like a big crabapple. It is called Thai or Taiwan apple. All varieties of 'Jujube' fruit in the first year of planting. You have to keep an eye growth of plants sprouting at the base of the trunk and canopy.