Author Topic: My mango experience with three Condo cultivars . . . . [UPDATED]  (Read 4398 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: My mango experience with three Condo cultivars . . . . [UPDATED]
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 01:08:55 PM »
If you want to grow a fruit forest you are wasting time not planting these mangos in the ground and may eventually regret you didn't set them free earlier.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 06:18:53 PM »
If you want to grow a fruit forest you are wasting time not planting these mangos in the ground and may eventually regret you didn't set them free earlier.

Despite the fact that we have three freezes during the space of approximately every five years to me that fact alone seems to argue that planting the mangoes out in the yard may somehow counter productive should they manage to get hit by a bad freeze after a couple years in the ground and being several yards taller and therefore impractical to cover to protect.

Meanwhile, ref growing my fruit forest, I have half a dozen or more each of Annona, Garcinia, Eugenia, Musa species plus random other genera along with citrus most of which are getting close to a size that they soon will need to go into the gound.

I've been at the fruit forest idea closing on five years now and the larger portion of the above started out in 2-inch pots and most now are up into 3- and 7-gallon pots.

Bottom line is that it's all an experment after all.  Some things will survive and some won't and others will thrive. That's what I've set out to do.  Only wish that I'd started ten years ago!

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2021, 11:40:27 PM »

Despite the fact that we have three freezes during the space of approximately every five years to me that fact alone seems to argue that planting the mangoes out in the yard may somehow counter productive should they manage to get hit by a bad freeze after a couple years in the ground and being several yards taller and therefore impractical to cover to protect.

Meanwhile, ref growing my fruit forest, I have half a dozen or more each of Annona, Garcinia, Eugenia, Musa species plus random other genera along with citrus most of which are getting close to a size that they soon will need to go into the gound.

I've been at the fruit forest idea closing on five years now and the larger portion of the above started out in 2-inch pots and most now are up into 3- and 7-gallon pots.

Bottom line is that it's all an experment after all.  Some things will survive and some won't and others will thrive. That's what I've set out to do.  Only wish that I'd started ten years ago!

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

If you do plant them in the ground I’d recommend pruning heavy- get the main limbs as thick and woody as possible. Go for a bushy compact structure too.. and if you can plant under canopy or near a wall and out the wind. Usually under 25F is what has stumped my trees, unless it’s a prolonged warmer freeze. I can almost get away with mangos, if you’re in 9b you should at least attempt!

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2021, 03:03:22 AM »
I may wind up doing that eventually, 850FL, if they act like they really want out of their pots.

UPDATE for Bovine:  The 'Ice Cream' is still holding a fruit on two separate inflorescences.  They are now about 3-1/2 inches in diameter, and still all green.  The little tree is about four feet tall now with its two taller branches bent from the weight of those two hanging fruit.

I understand that 'Ice Cream' makes a smaller fruit and it is stiil primarily green-skinned when ripe.  But are there any useful signs to help tell when 'Ice Cream's fruit has ripened and is ready to pick?

Meanwhle both 'Irwin' and 'Beverly' have flushed healthy new leaves but have not tried to rebloom.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2021, 08:59:39 AM »
I may wind up doing that eventually, 850FL, if they act like they really want out of their pots.

UPDATE for Bovine:  The 'Ice Cream' is still holding a fruit on two separate inflorescences.  They are now about 3-1/2 inches in diameter, and still all green.  The little tree is about four feet tall now with its two taller branches bent from the weight of those two hanging fruit.

I understand that 'Ice Cream' makes a smaller fruit and it is stiil primarily green-skinned when ripe.  But are there any useful signs to help tell when 'Ice Cream's fruit has ripened and is ready to pick?

Meanwhle both 'Irwin' and 'Beverly' have flushed healthy new leaves but have not tried to rebloom.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

There will definitely be no more blooms this season.

As to the ice cream, as previously stated,  you are only harming the tree at this point.and any fruit it produces will be sub-par.  I hate to say this but letting it continue to hold the fruit is akin to keeping an elderly ailing dog alive when it should really be put down. 
- Rob

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2021, 10:02:12 AM »

As to the ice cream, as previously stated,  you are only harming the tree at this point.and any fruit it produces will be sub-par.  I hate to say this but letting it continue to hold the fruit is akin to keeping an elderly ailing dog alive when it should really be put down.

BS,

Since these smaller statured mango cultivars are frequently callled 'condo mangoes' by many and grown in pots, there must be some rationale for that.

Please remember that there is more than one way to skin a catt(ley guava), so to speak!

Paul M.
==

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2021, 12:33:06 PM »

BS,

Since these smaller statured mango cultivars are frequently callled 'condo mangoes' by many and grown in pots, there must be some rationale for that.

Please remember that there is more than one way to skin a catt(ley guava), so to speak!

Paul M.
==

Condo mango is an abused term, used as a marketing ploy to sell trees,  that means absolutely nothing.   By your expertise,  you should know that.

Since you think a 7 gal tree is so mature, just how big do you think these "condo mangoes" will get (hint, not 4-5 feet).  You are dealing with maybe a pot grown 2-3 year old tree.  It needs to develop...but hey, you dont want to accept the advise and want your little tree to produce a fruit to prove something.  Dont know why you post when its clear, in your own mind, that you know better and dont want to accept information on advice.

- Rob

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2021, 12:57:33 PM »
Rob,

I've remarked repeatedly on here that the fruit forest that I've begun is an experiment.

So, too, are some of the plants I have chosen:  Some will thrive and some will not.

Viva zone pushing!

Paul M.
==

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2021, 03:53:56 PM »
Paul, you are a very bad boy!  So cruel to that Ice Cream mango tree.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 10:21:56 PM by johnb51 »
John

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2021, 04:22:31 PM »
I have seen a few videos of mango trees in zone 9a. At least one near Orlando and another closer to the big bend. I think both were Kent, and they were 10ft+ producing trees in ground. They did get burnt back after several winters but at least the main branches and trunks pulled through. You are in a better position being in 9b, I’m sure they will be fine most winters.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2021, 06:37:47 PM »
I have noticed that there are many people in Florida that have mango trees in the ground that still raise a few in a pot for the pure challenge of it. There seems to be great satisfaction to get one to hold  three or four fruit. Everytime I come close to taking the challenge. I talk myself out of it and put them in the ground.
 Paul my ice cream is down to three mangoes after last week's wind. 😫
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 06:43:54 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2021, 01:26:41 AM »
I have noticed that there are many people in Florida that have mango trees in the ground that still raise a few in a pot for the pure challenge of it. There seems to be great satisfaction to get one to hold  three or four fruit.

Certainly it is a challenge but a fun one, IMO.

Everytime I come close to taking the challenge. I talk myself out of it and put them in the ground.

So, why not try 'em in a pot?  The worst that can happen is that the mango won't thrive or won't produce fruit –or in a worst case just plain die!  But then (if it's not an overly rare cultivar) you can get another for a usually reasonable price and plunk it into the ground.  (Anyway, I know one person who'd be happy to read that either you or I had done so.)

Paul my ice cream is down to three mangoes after last week's wind. 😫

Hey your three remaining mangoes is more than my two hangers-on.  And that's of course lots better than if they'd all fallen off, n'est-ce pas?  But if they ripen for me on my dwarf (per Ken Roll's Mango Variety List) mango tree, I'll be all the happier for the 'pure challenge' having been met!

Cheers!

Paul M.  (the apparent mango rebel)
==

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2021, 02:15:05 PM »
Why waste your time and energy with a potted mango having to water often and repot, and the time and effort of the grafter and nurserymen spraying and maintaining the mango, and worst of all the 40$ for a sapling that may produce a few fruits get rootbound and dwindle away, when it could have been stuck in the ground and done perfectly well in your zone
It’s like when I saw somebody throwing sheets over their dormant peach trees when it got to 32F. Just why lmao

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2021, 04:35:01 PM »
Why waste your time and energy with a potted mango having to water often and repot, and the time and effort of the grafter and nurserymen spraying and maintaining the mango, and worst of all the 40$ for a sapling that may produce a few fruits get rootbound and dwindle away, when it could have been stuck in the ground and done perfectly well in your zone
It’s like when I saw somebody throwing sheets over their dormant peach trees when it got to 32F. Just why lmao
All we have is time maybe 99 years
Why do people build ships inside of glass bottles or why does Elon Musk want to put a colony on Mars? Not exactly an oasis up there. I do not understand it but I applaud their efforts and when they are successful I will say Bravo. And at this very moment Paul has more mangoes on his tree than many in South Florida. Many had their blooms  hit by Frost. Yay Paul go :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 09:26:15 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2021, 02:05:58 AM »
And at this very moment Paul has more mangoes on his tree than many in South Florida. Many had their blooms  hit by Frost. Yay Paul go :)

Thanx for the encouraging words, bovine.  Much appreciated.

It will be interesting to see how these three potted dwarf and semi-dwarf mango cultivars react to the onset of our Florida rainy season now that many of the local meteorologists are touting that's it's about to begin.

(I knew that the rains would begin right after I had my lawn man install a drip/watering system for all the fruit trees.  And he completed it on May 23rd and got it up and running.  And now the rains are just starting.)

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2021, 03:10:15 PM »
And at this very moment Paul has more mangoes on his tree than many in South Florida. Many had their blooms  hit by Frost. Yay Paul go :)

Thanx for the encouraging words, bovine.  Much appreciated.

It will be interesting to see how these three potted dwarf and semi-dwarf mango cultivars react to the onset of our Florida rainy season now that many of the local meteorologists are touting that's it's about to begin.

(I knew that the rains would begin right after I had my lawn man install a drip/watering system for all the fruit trees.  And he completed it on May 23rd and got it up and running.  And now the rains are just starting.)

Cheers!

Paul M.
==
Well Paul it is here finally. Hopefully the pump is primed. I'm so tired eating dust and watering tree's. Not to worry about mango flavor wash out.Someone on this forum stated it is vastly overblown. I hope so I like the rain but the wind not so much.😊

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk