Author Topic: Cedar Bay Cherry  (Read 808 times)

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
Cedar Bay Cherry
« on: August 26, 2021, 12:48:53 PM »
Hi All, I planted a few Cedar Bay Cherry seeds last year in 4" pots moving them today noticed one of them has blooms on it it is about 5" tall. is this a little precocious or is this common ?

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Re: Cedar Bay Cherry
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 02:26:49 PM »
You are lucky! I've waited 6 years before my chedar bay cherry has it's first bloom!

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 12:59:27 AM »
It defintely happens, not super often but not extremely rare either, post a pic though, I think smallest I've seen with blooms was 8" w/just two flower buds.. and they didn't hold fruit, would be funny if yours did... apparently they can be airlayered and propagated from cutting much easier than other eugenias.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 12:34:45 PM »
It defintely happens, not super often but not extremely rare either, post a pic though, I think smallest I've seen with blooms was 8" w/just two flower buds.. and they didn't hold fruit, would be funny if yours did... apparently they can be airlayered and propagated from cutting much easier than other eugenias.
I do not know how to post on this form, but I do know how to do e-mail so if you give me your e-mail address I can send to you and then you can post. my e-mail address is   pschill444@aol.com                                                                                                     Regards   Patrick

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 05:20:19 AM »
A long long time ado when spent a lot of time in the bush between Cairns and Cooktown as a field biologist and photographer I would stumble across wild Cedar Bay Cherries. There were plenty of good ones between the Daintree River and Cedar Bay where they were common. The abundance of fruit and the variation in adult tree size struck me with wild specimens. There was also considerable variation in the quality of fruit between trees.If my memory actually serves me correctly there were better ones I ate in the bush than anything I have tried in cultivation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk